Technics SA-1000A on shopgoodwill

At least it ended up at Goodwill where it will be resold rather than the dump where a lot of them ended up no doubt. It's still odd that someone hoisting that around wouldn't at least want to check on eBay to see if it would be worth selling rather than dumping off at the thrift.

The black face is pretty nice

I had a SA1000 but I didn't think it sounded very good and the build quality was definitely sub-par compared to some of the monster receivers.

OMGCat, very good point about it living on one way or another. I agree.

I also like the black face but it's not one I'd want.

Why would someone financially well off want to hassle with ebayers or shipping that thing!

That's one nutty machine, the specs made my eyes water lol. I still wouldn't pay the near three grand for it but I'm just cheap :)

It always amazes me that stuff like this gets dropped off at Goodwill.

At this point, it doesn't surprise me at all. As a contractor, we do a lot of estate "clean-outs" and restoration/update work to prepare properties for sale. A lot of people don't know or don't care what something is worth or how much someone else would appreciate it. Quite frequently, once grandma's jewelry and grandpa's pocket watches and war medals are removed from the house, everything else is destined for the big roll-off dumpster out back. Yeah, there are still estate sales/auctions, but even then there is still a lot of stuff that just gets pitched. At least with GoodWill, there is a chance for someone else to appreciate it--oh, yeah, and a tax deduction.

At this point, it doesn't surprise me at all. As a contractor, we do a lot of estate "clean-outs" and restoration/update work to prepare properties for sale. A lot of people don't know or don't care what something is worth or how much someone else would appreciate it. Quite frequently, once grandma's jewelry and grandpa's pocket watches and war medals are removed from the house, everything else is destined for the big roll-off dumpster out back. Yeah, there are still estate sales/auctions, but even then there is still a lot of stuff that just gets pitched. At least with GoodWill, there is a chance for someone else to appreciate it--oh, yeah, and a tax deduction.

Fair point. So do you pluck out anything good and keep/sell it?

Fair point. So do you pluck out anything good and keep/sell it?

Of course!!! We are being paid generally a negotiated "flat rate" to clean out the property and do restorations/repairs/improvements to make the property ready for sale. The owners--now the kids or grandkids don't care where anything remaining goes--just that it goes away and we meet our deadline. There have been many days that I have hauled home stuff that was worth more than my day's actual pay. Can we say "double-dipping"?

Individual homes can yield some good stuff, but commercial properties can be even better. I demo'd an old piano/organ dealership that was being converted to a law office--walked away with hundreds of NOS tubes, tube testers, transformers and speakers. Demo'd an old barber shop that was being converted into a modern hair/nail salon--turn of the century hand carved floor to ceiling solid oak barber stations w/cabinets. huge beveled and etched mirrors, vintage barber chairs, vintage barber poles/signs, antique straight razors, etc.. Several rooms in my home have ornate tin and copper ceilings, fireplace mantles and other woodwork/hardware salvaged from old buildings/homes.

There are 2 Marantz and a HK 330 for sale on the site too .

More evidence that thrift shop scores are mostly a hopeless chase .

Last edited:
Of course!!! We are being paid generally a negotiated "flat rate" to clean out the property and do restorations/repairs/improvements to make the property ready for sale. The owners--now the kids or grandkids don't care where anything remaining goes--just that it goes away and we meet our deadline. There have been many days that I have hauled home stuff that was worth more than my day's actual pay. Can we say "double-dipping"?

Individual homes can yield some good stuff, but commercial properties can be even better. I demo'd an old piano/organ dealership that was being converted to a law office--walked away with hundreds of NOS tubes, tube testers, transformers and speakers. Demo'd an old barber shop that was being converted into a modern hair/nail salon--turn of the century hand carved floor to ceiling solid oak barber stations w/cabinets. huge beveled and etched mirrors, vintage barber chairs, vintage barber poles/signs, antique straight razors, etc.. Several rooms in my home have ornate tin and copper ceilings, fireplace mantles and other woodwork/hardware salvaged from old buildings/homes.

I need to start watching your Bartertown postings.

yes it's all true I have been flipping houses since 1994 full time. I have been buying Bank defaulted properties and have been involved in hundreds of evictions you'd be surprised the stuff people leave behind cars ,motorcycles, tools, household appliances ,jewelry, pets you name it. When I first started out I brought a lot of stuff home, but lately I just toss it in the dumpster I have found some Hi-Fi gear, I did find a Altec 9440 once and hundreds of albums

yes it's all true I have been flipping houses since 1994 full time. I have been buying Bank defaulted properties and have been involved in hundreds of evictions you'd be surprised the stuff people leave behind cars ,motorcycles, tools, household appliances ,jewelry, pets you name it. When I first started out I brought a lot of stuff home, but lately I just toss it in the dumpster I have found some Hi-Fi gear, I did find a Altec 9440 once and hundreds of albums

So what do you with the more difficult stuff, like things with a title and pets?

As far as pets I have adopted one dog from a evicted house she's going on 12 years, but most of the time I called the pound. With titled cars you can't do anything with them, you can have a lien sale but that takes time, so they get towed away

So what do you with the more difficult stuff, like things with a title and pets?

Never encountered left-behind pets, but I deal with estates, rather than evictions or foreclosures where the owners or tenants were forced out via legal action (or pending threat thereof). Cars, motorcycles, boats, and other things that require a title/registration are usually not just "abandoned", but I have had clients sign over titles to me for appropriate (legal) disposal. Those sort of things can also be parted out if a title can not be located (had that happen before), but old folks tend to keep pretty decent records--I have cleaned out estates where there were boxes of bank/tax records and utility/medical bills dating back ~40-50 years.

When I first started out I brought a lot of stuff home, but lately I just toss it in the dumpster

I hear ya there--I used to grab anything/everything of value, and am fortunate to have outbuildings for storage space, so it wasn't a big deal. My main residence is a 130+ year old farmhouse with two huge more recent additions, so I was able to do them up to match the original part of the house. That is all done now, and I am getting older, and don't have the time, need or ambition to grab everything and then finding a use or buyer for it, but most of my crew is younger and still into "salvaging" stuff.

Back
Top Bottom