Technics SA-1000A on shopgoodwill

At this point, it doesn't surprise me at all. As a contractor, we do a lot of estate "clean-outs" and restoration/update work to prepare properties for sale. A lot of people don't know or don't care what something is worth or how much someone else would appreciate it. Quite frequently, once grandma's jewelry and grandpa's pocket watches and war medals are removed from the house, everything else is destined for the big roll-off dumpster out back. Yeah, there are still estate sales/auctions, but even then there is still a lot of stuff that just gets pitched. At least with GoodWill, there is a chance for someone else to appreciate it--oh, yeah, and a tax deduction.
Not anymore. I recently brought an NAD 200W amp and a pioneer elite receiver to the USD electronic recycling center (they resell good items), figuring I could write off a reasonable Craigslist price without the hassle. I was then informed after they were long gone that the new tax code doesn’t allow these kinds of charitable write-offs.

Not in the new tax code unfortunately. If I’m wrong though, I would be delighted to hear about it!

Don't know for sure but the auction result should be solid supporting evidence that does not rely on an appraiser's opinion.

<Mod Edit>

I'm not surprised at all. The United Way had similar controversies and I believe the Salvation Army did as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents, this sort of discussion is not allowed on AudioKarma. It will only lead to trouble, so please cool it.

Don't know for sure but the auction result should be solid supporting evidence that does not rely on an appraiser's opinion.
A print out of the final sale and a donation receipt (hopefully the person received one) would be enough to satisfy a possible audit. Assuming the person even knows that the receiver made it to the online auction!
Not in the new tax code unfortunately. If I’m wrong though, I would be delighted to hear about it!
The new tax law will decrease those who itemize for charity but not do away with the ability to itemize. It just depends on your situation. If the new $22,000 standard deduction for couples is more advantageous than itemizing (which will be the case with many) then charitable donations for tax purposes could decrease since people may not feel the need to do so anymore. As far as estate planning is concerned if I am not mistaken there is $22 million exemption for couples. So there may be less donations from estates since the tax burden is less.

Auction ended at $4744. That's a pretty rare beast but I won't be surprised if it's relisted due to the winner flaking out.

A print out of the final sale and a donation receipt (hopefully the person received one) would be enough to satisfy a possible audit. Assuming the person even knows that the receiver made it to the online auction!

The new tax law will decrease those who itemize for charity but not do away with the ability to itemize. It just depends on your situation. If the new $22,000 standard deduction for couples is more advantageous than itemizing (which will be the case with many) then charitable donations for tax purposes could decrease since people may not feel the need to do so anymore. As far as estate planning is concerned if I am not mistaken there is $22 million exemption for couples. So there may be less donations from estates since the tax burden is less.

Thanks for the details!

Auction ended at $4744. That's a pretty rare beast but I won't be surprised if it's relisted due to the winner flaking out.

You think that’s a high number?

How about the packs of 1980’s infant huggies that sell for between $300-$1,000+, yes.. old unused diapers are worth more than ToTL equipment that we collect

You think that’s a high number?

How about the packs of 1980’s infant huggies that sell for between $300-$1,000+, yes.. old unused diapers are worth more than ToTL equipment that we collect

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I also don't really want to know.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but I also don't really want to know.

Serious as a heart attack

Go to eBay, search for “vintage diapers” sort by sold listings and highest price shown first

Who knew a pack of pampers was worth as much as an unrestored pioneer sx-1250? Much easier to ship too!

Back
Top Bottom