Technics SA-202: Very Fuzzy+Quiet Left Channel

ScienceGun

Howdy folks,

I'm back with the same problem on a different receiver. This time it's a Technics SA-202. The audio is very fuzzy/staticy in the left channel, and much quieter than it should be.

I've cleaned the sucker out with compressed air and applied Deoxit to the pots and switches. I also switched speakers to confirm that it's an issue with the left channel, NOT my left speaker.

Is there anything that an uneducated rube such as myself can do, short of taking it to a tech and hoping that my bank account can cover the cost of repairs? This receiver has sentimental value, so I really want to get it up and running again.

Howdy folks,

I'm back with the same problem on a different receiver. This time it's a Technics SA-202. The audio is very fuzzy/staticy in the left channel, and much quieter than it should be.

I've cleaned the sucker out with compressed air and applied Deoxit to the pots and switches. I also switched speakers to confirm that it's an issue with the left channel, NOT my left speaker.

Is there anything that an uneducated rube such as myself can do, short of taking it to a tech and hoping that my bank account can cover the cost of repairs? This receiver has sentimental value, so I really want to get it up and running again.

Everything inside this amp is on a chip, my first guess is that you got an issue with the left channel differential IC.

Everything inside this amp is on a chip, my first guess is that you got an issue with the left channel differential IC.
Like I said, I'm an uneducated rube. I don't know what that means.

My two questions are:

1. Can I fix it myself? (doubtful)
2. How expensive will it be to get someone else to fix it?

Like I said, I'm an uneducated rube. I don't know what that means.

My two questions are:

1. Can I fix it myself? (doubtful)
2. How expensive will it be to get someone else to fix it?

...It'd be a great learning experience!.. Probably more than the unit is worth. Personally, I'd buy a cheap multimeter and soldering iron and get stuck in.

Probably more than the unit is worth.
That's a given. I'm sure I could find a working one online on the cheap. But it wouldn't be my dad's old receiver. Which is the entire point.

It's also one reason I'm hesitant to "buy a cheap multimeter and soldering iron and get stuck in."

I'm sure it would be a "learning experience," but I don't want to gain knowledge and lose what's left of the receiver.

That's a given. I'm sure I could find a working one online on the cheap. But it wouldn't be my dad's old receiver. Which is the entire point.

It's also one reason I'm hesitant to "buy a cheap multimeter and soldering iron and get stuck in."

I'm sure it would be a "learning experience," but I don't want to gain knowledge and lose what's left of the receiver.

Ah I didn't notice you mentioned it has sentimental value. If it means something to you I'd definitely send it to a tech, but it can get pretty pricey

Ah I didn't notice you mentioned it has sentimental value. If it means something to you I'd definitely send it to a tech, but it can get pretty pricey
Okay, thank you for your advice. I'm fortunate enough to have a few options that are... not local, but... within driving distance. 1.5 to 2 hours. I've already requested a "quick quote" from one place. We'll see what they have to say.

Okay, thank you for your advice. I'm fortunate enough to have a few options that are... not local, but... within driving distance. 1.5 to 2 hours. I've already requested a "quick quote" from one place. We'll see what they have to say.

No problem, hopefully you can find a place to do it withing your budget.

OK, folks, I have some options. There's a shop in Austin that will charge $300-$350 for a "full restoration." That means they will "replace all electrolytic capacitors in the amplifier stage, preamp / tone control board, and power supply. This is often referred to as recapping. We clean all controls, switches, and replace other components known to fail or degrade over time. Often as many as 50 parts or more. Lamps are replaced (correct warm color LED where possible), circuit boards are hand resolderd as needed, relay contacts are burnished, the power stage is biased and balanced, the interior and exterior are detailed, and each unit is fully tested." There is no bench fee.

Meanwhile there is a shop in Houston that charges a $125 bench fee, which is applied toward the final cost of repairs. But wait--because I requested a " quick quote" on their website, they'll knock the fee down to $105. But wait, there's more! If I follow the link provided, and enter the super-secret password and BUY NOW, the bench fee is only $85!
They won't speculate on a final price until after they get their hands on it.

Finally, there's a small one-man operation also in Houston that charges $30 for a bench fee.

What do you think is my best option? The bigger shops are certainly more "established" - - lots of reviews, mostly positive. But I'm not sure I really need a "full restoration," and the constantly changing bench fee at the other shop makes me wary.

Should I take a chance on the "little guy?"

OK, folks, I have some options. There's a shop in Austin that will charge $300-$350 for a "full restoration." That means they will "replace all electrolytic capacitors in the amplifier stage, preamp / tone control board, and power supply. This is often referred to as recapping. We clean all controls, switches, and replace other components known to fail or degrade over time. Often as many as 50 parts or more. Lamps are replaced (correct warm color LED where possible), circuit boards are hand resolderd as needed, relay contacts are burnished, the power stage is biased and balanced, the interior and exterior are detailed, and each unit is fully tested." There is no bench fee.

Meanwhile there is a shop in Houston that charges a $125 bench fee, which is applied toward the final cost of repairs. But wait--because I requested a " quick quote" on their website, they'll knock the fee down to $105. But wait, there's more! If I follow the link provided, and enter the super-secret password and BUY NOW, the bench fee is only $85!
They won't speculate on a final price until after they get their hands on it.

Finally, there's a small one-man operation also in Houston that charges $30 for a bench fee.

What do you think is my best option? The bigger shops are certainly more "established" - - lots of reviews, mostly positive. But I'm not sure I really need a "full restoration," and the constantly changing bench fee at the other shop makes me wary.

Should I take a chance on the "little guy?"

I'd go with who ever has the best reviews.

I'd go with who ever has the best reviews.
That would be the place in Austin. 4.7 out of five based on 32 Google reviews, and 5 stars based on 38 Yelp reviews. The "big" place in Houston has a respectable 4 stars based on 120 Google reviews, but only two stars based on 16 Yelp reviews.

The "little guy" in Houston has five stars based on a mere 3 Google reviews, and four stars based on 6 Yelp reviews.

Do you think I really need the "full restoration," though?

That would be the place in Austin. 4.7 out of five based on 32 Google reviews, and 5 stars based on 38 Yelp reviews. The "big" place in Houston has a respectable 4 stars based on 120 Google reviews, but only two stars based on 16 Yelp reviews.

The "little guy" in Houston has five stars based on a mere 3 Google reviews, and four stars based on 6 Yelp reviews.

Do you think I really need the "full restoration," though?

On a unit that low end (No offense) not really. I'd say give the little guy a shot but one thing to keep in mind is that if he fails a lot of techs have a "We don't fix other peoples mistakes" policy. Maybe ask the techs in Austin if they can just do the repair?

On a unit that low end (No offense) not really. I'd say give the little guy a shot but one thing to keep in mind is that if he fails a lot of techs have a "We don't fix other peoples mistakes" policy. Maybe ask the techs in Austin if they can just do the repair?
None taken. Even though it's low-end, however, it would be nice to have it in good working condition for years to come. :idea:

None taken. Even though it's low-end, however, it would be nice to have it in good working condition for years to come. :idea:

Units I want to keep for years to come get the full monty, new caps, transistors, trimmers and protection relay. Like my SA-7500 and I got a SX-737 ready to go under the knife as soon as I get around to ordering parts.

Is there a speaker protection relay? If so tap it with a wooden stick to see if sound changes.

Nope no protection relay in this 'lil' guy, just fuses.

Back
Top Bottom