Technics SA-300 Distortion

Ross Henning

Hi Guys,
I am at my wits end with a Technics SA-300, and I'm hoping someone with more experience can shed some light on what I'm missing. This receiver exhibits distortion, even at low volume levels, and seems to be affected more by low frequencies than high. If I feed a 100hz signal, I see straight line clipping, both at the top and bottom of the sine wave, at the collectors of Q605 and Q606. The signal is clean at the collectors of Q601 and Q602. I've attached the schematic for reference. I've replaced all of the electrolytic and film caps on the amplifier board. I've tried replacing all three driver transistors on each side, including Q602. I've also changed out D601 and D602. None of this has made any difference in the clipping. I've checked voltages against the schematic, and they all match. If I turn the volume way down and watch the scope, the visible clipping of the sine wave goes away at a lower level. I've noticed that while listening to the tone through speakers, I can definitely hear the clipping, but I've also noticed that if I crank the volume knob quickly, there's a "Catch up" to the sound that appears to be happening. That makes me think there's a capacitor charging too slowly somewhere or something similar. My VM tells me that when I do this quick action with the volume knob, I lose a couple of volts off of the -35 volts that feeds Q606 at the Emitter. The voltage stays down until I bring the volume back down. I've spot checked resistors in the area of Q606 and didn't find anything out of place. Again, it affects both channels. That makes me think maybe it's something in the power supply, but I'm not finding any measurements out of place. I'm attaching the portion of the schematic with the amp board as the full file was too large to upload. The full schematic is available at hifiengine.com. I'd appreciate any suggestions to try. I'm a noobie, so it's very possible that I've missed something obvious. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• SM300AMP Schematic.jpg
    SM300AMP Schematic.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
You probably didn’t see it at HiFi Engine because like and idiot, I goofed on the model number here in this thread. It’s SA-300 not SM-300. Here’s the link to the schematic: https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?technics/technics_sa-300_schematic.pdf

I have not scoped the power supply as I run up the signal. I’m honestly not sure what points I would measure, and what I would be looking for. Any pointers?
No worries, happens to us all at one time or another.

So, first question: is this with the amplifier hooked to speakers or dummy loads?
Second question: are you testing each channel individually or both at once?
I'm just trying to determine is the power supply is unable to deliver enough current, or if this is strictly a voltage issue.

Your instinct is correct. When both channels are affected the same way, it points to the power supply. And that's usually where the issue is, but on very rare occasion you have the same trouble in both channels. Again, very rare but not out of the realm of possibility. Murphy hates technicians!

I'd check the +/- 36.5 volt supplies with either a DMM or a scope as you run up the signal generator. See if the PS runs out of gas as you place demands on it.

Thought I would provide an update here on the SA-300. I had put the SA-300 aside for a while while I continued to develop my skills while working on a few Pioneer receivers. While I was waiting on some parts to come in, I thought I would take another crack at this Technics receiver. I don't know why I thought both sides were distorted before. I plugged it in and figured out that the distortion was in only one channel this time around. I'll keep playing it for a while to make sure it wasn't something intermittent, but it was definitely only the right channel this time around with distortion. I checked the voltages on all of the transistors against the ones listed on the schematic. They all matched up fine. Then I checked the STK-0039. Ah Ha! On pin 5, where I should have 37 volts, I had 20. Next I hit the internet looking for an STK-0039. The posts I read made it sound like these were unobtainium, but I found a vendor on eBay out of Florida that seemed legit and took a chance. The darlington power pack arrived today, I soldered it into place and voila...no more distortion. As cheaply as this unit is built (and I mean CHEAP compared to the old Pioneer units I've been restoring), it sounds darn good. I've completed my recap job, installed a 12V DC power supply to run a warm white LED strip that I installed to replace the original lamps. The tuner seems pretty close, but I'll do an alignment on that later this week. The case has seen better days, but I really don't know that I want to spend much time or money trying to restore a pressboard case so I may just leave it. This unit should be complete later this week, ready to play tunes hopefully for another 40 years. I'll come back and post photos once I'm all done.

Thought I would provide an update here on the SA-300. I had put the SA-300 aside for a while while I continued to develop my skills while working on a few Pioneer receivers. While I was waiting on some parts to come in, I thought I would take another crack at this Technics receiver. I don't know why I thought both sides were distorted before. I plugged it in and figured out that the distortion was in only one channel this time around. I'll keep playing it for a while to make sure it wasn't something intermittent, but it was definitely only the right channel this time around with distortion. I checked the voltages on all of the transistors against the ones listed on the schematic. They all matched up fine. Then I checked the STK-0039. Ah Ha! On pin 5, where I should have 37 volts, I had 20. Next I hit the internet looking for an STK-0039. The posts I read made it sound like these were unobtainium, but I found a vendor on eBay out of Florida that seemed legit and took a chance. The darlington power pack arrived today, I soldered it into place and voila...no more distortion. As cheaply as this unit is built (and I mean CHEAP compared to the old Pioneer units I've been restoring), it sounds darn good. I've completed my recap job, installed a 12V DC power supply to run a warm white LED strip that I installed to replace the original lamps. The tuner seems pretty close, but I'll do an alignment on that later this week. The case has seen better days, but I really don't know that I want to spend much time or money trying to restore a pressboard case so I may just leave it. This unit should be complete later this week, ready to play tunes hopefully for another 40 years. I'll come back and post photos once I'm all done.
Thanks for the update Ross. I'd been wondering how you made out with this.

How is the DC offset in your unit? I remember I fixed an SA-400 (power amp looks similar to yours) and had to modify 2 resistors to get the DC-offset under 50mV. The mod was to add resistors in parallel to R613 and R614 (did it on the solder side), to lower a bit the resistance. That lowered the DC at the output under 10mV.

I know this is an old thread, but I have the exact same issue with a sa-300. The right channel was distorted and same voltage issue on the stk. I had another 300 around that is now a parts unit and swapped out the stk and it corrected the issue. But only for a few weeks. It again went south. Since most of those on stk's sold on ebay are chinese knock offs, wondering what the other alternatives are. I know someone in Texas offers re-engineered pieces, but they are pricey and these units don't bring a price that would make it worth it.

Buying the raw pwbs, and the parts from Mouser or another provider will get you a pair of known good modules.

Back
Top Bottom