Technics SA-5150, worth it for 100$? (Pioneer SX-737 or Toshiba SA-300 replacement)

JayPare

I found a Technics SA-5150 receiver online for 100$. Would it be an upgrade over any of my current receiver and if yes is it worth it for 100$? The frequency response is better than both my current, but Total harmonic distortion is over my SX-737 and equal to my Toshiba. Damping factor is also equal with my Toshiba and lower than my Pioneer.

Here is the comparison:

xxxxxxModelxxxxxx| Powerxxx|xxxFrequencyxxx|xxHarmonicxxx| Damping
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| Outputxx| x Response xxx| Distorstion | factor
-----------------+---------+---------------+-------------+----------
Pioneer SX-737xxx| 35W/ch. |xxx15Hz-40kHzxx|xxxx0.5%xxxxx|xxx40
Toshiba SA-300xxx| 12W/ch. |xxx20Hz-50kHzxx|xxxx0.8%xxxxx|xxx20
Technics SA-5150 | 16W/ch. |xxxx7Hz-60kHzxx|xxxx0.8%xxxxx|xxx20

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth $100 and either do eBay completed listings. The SX-737 is a fine receiver, and I doubt it would bested by the Technics SA-5150.

Rob

Last edited:
I don't think it's worth $100 and either to eBay completed listings. The SX-737 is a fine receiver, and I doubt it would bested by the Technics SA-5150.

Rob
Thanks Rob. What should I check to know if an amp is better than mine? Are the frequency responses a good starting point? What about THD and Damping factor? Are they important to consider?

DAC, phono stage, pre-amp, power amp as opposed to a receiver. You get better quality by separating components - cleaner, stronger individual power supplies, less interference, fewer issues with heat.

The SX-737 is a great receiver, seems like it might be ideal for someone in your situation unless you really want to crank it. Well designed mid-power unit with a great tuner, decent phono section and nice straight ahead controls plus very good looks. If you really want to go for better specs in a receiver you could go for something like a newer Onkyo such as a TX-8555.

Frankly I wouldn’t get too terribly hung up on most of the specs when considering a vintage receiver other, a lot of that stuff can only be seen on an oscilloscope and it’s going to be off by now anyway due to aging components. Basically you need to trust your ears and the manufacturers / models reputation, though the wattage (rms per channel) is important when pairing with speakers and determining how it will be used (listening levels).

I haven't found published specs to be of a lot of use in determining whether I would prefer one component over another. If you can hear a component you are considering in your system, that would be the best indicator of whether it would be an improvement over your Pioneer. But is your receiver really the weak point in your system? What speakers, turntable, cartidge, etc. are you running with it? Maybe an improvement in the sound you are getting would better be achieved by attention to another component.

Frequency response range is pretty much useless without an accompanying +/- dB range. If it is within +/- 2 dB (or preferably lower) over a range of 20-20,000 Hz, it is just fine--you can't hear anything beyond that range--in most cases, not even that entire range.

THD--as long as it is under 1% at full rated power, you won't be able to hear the difference--you can see it on a scope and measure it, but anything below 1% is just fine

Higher damping factor generally results in "tighter" bass. The amp can keep the woofers under control better and the bass is not as likely to get "flabby".

As already mentioned, all the specs in the world cannot guarantee better sound. A system is a set of components, interacting with each other and the room in which they are housed, and may or not work well together. Just listen, listen, listen.

I haven't found published specs to be of a lot of use in determining whether I would prefer one component over another. If you can hear a component you are considering in your system, that would be the best indicator of whether it would be an improvement over your Pioneer. But is your receiver really the weak point in your system? What speakers, turntable, cartidge, etc. are you running with it? Maybe an improvement in the sound you are getting would better be achieved by attention to another component.
Was not really looking for an upgrade, I only thought maybe that was a deal but from the answers I got it's not.

However, it would certainly be nice to know which component I should upgrade next in my setup(s):

Setup #1:
Pioneer SX-737
Pioneer PL-15R with a Shure M91ED
Technics SB-T200 or BIC Venturi Formula 4, still have to A B them to decide which one I keep.

Setup #2:
Pioneer SX-737 (yeah I got two, but I need to service this one) or Toshiba SA-300 (if I decide to sell one of my SX-737)
Sanyo TP-1010 with an Audio Technica AT95e
Technics SB-T200 or BIC Venturi Formula 4 (depending on which one I will keep for my #1 setup)

Indeed, I would be more looking to replace parts in my main setup and just donate the replaced parts to my setup #2. :)

I have had similar units.
I have an SX-636 and I have had in the past an SA-5170.
I like(d) them both.
With tone controls set to flat, I think the 5170 was a bit more neutral in tone, compared to the 636.
It was a very nice receiver.

I sold it for $85 to a very good home.
You could be happy with either a 5150 or a 737.
All other things equal, I expect the tuner of the 737 to be better.

I really like the looks of the 51X0 series Technics, though.
They are very classy.

I agree with the comments regarding the limited relevance of technical specs.

I agree with ROBISME and AUDIOJONES. It was probably PIONEER's most popular receiver up until the SX-780. Bang for the buck is a 9.8 of 10 (The East German Judge gave it a 4.5 tho.). It doesn't have pre-out/main in jumpers but it makes up for most of that with the Recording switch gear.

I think I'd probably look at spending my money on speakers. You don't even need to spend a lot to get better speaks IMO, they might be the weakest link in your system.

I think I'd probably look at spending my money on speakers. You don't even need to spend a lot to get better speaks IMO, they might be the weakest link in your system.

This. Something like the ELAC Debut or Unifi series would be a great setup for not a lot of scratch.

In order of impact on system performance (IMHO):

Speakers
Source
Amplification

Back
Top Bottom