Technics SA-929 Tuner Issues

jacobmarz

I recently bought a technics SA-929 quartz locked audio receiver at GW for $14.00. Most of everything works on it, and sounds good with my RTR EXP-8v Speakers. The problem I am having is in the tuner section. I am aware that the display bulb is out, but my most important issue is the tuner.

When I first turn on the receiver after sitting for at least an hour, the tuner works for a few minutes, but then goes dead (no static, no crackling). This tends to happen especially, when I turn up the volume. Sometimes the tuner magically starts working, but eventually dies again. I have tried turning FM stereo off, but the same thing still happens.

Could you guys help me out here. I have been searching google for days, but to no avail.

Could you guys help me out here. I have been searching google for days, but to no avail.

Welcome to AK!

Unfortunately, the interwebosphere doesn't seem to have any freebie technical info about this model. But if you find that the same thing happens with AM as well as FM, then a good guess would be that a power supply regulator which serves the tuner section has a bad solder joint, or some other failure mode that's aggravated when the regulator warms up. It might be possible to give a probable location of the regulator from a picture of the inside, if you can post one. The regulator would be mounted to some sort of heat sink, or maybe just mounted to a metal part of the chassis.

HTH,

chazix

Welcome to AK!

Unfortunately, the interwebosphere doesn't seem to have any freebie technical info about this model. But if you find that the same thing happens with AM as well as FM, then a good guess would be that a power supply regulator which serves the tuner section has a bad solder joint, or some other failure mode that's aggravated when the regulator warms up. It might be possible to give a probable location of the regulator from a picture of the inside, if you can post one. The regulator would be mounted to some sort of heat sink, or maybe just mounted to a metal part of the chassis.

HTH,

chazix

UPDATE: I did in fact find where a regulator had a bad solder joint. I wiggled the transistor around, and the tuner flashed on and off intermittently, so this must be the problem. I ordered a new part, and I will let you know if it works.

Back
Top Bottom