Technics SB-A32 info

thirstymate

New here. I searched around and couldnt find posts with what I was looking for. I have a pair of Technics sb a32's. I will be playing mostly vinyl and possibly digital media. Very low budget. 300 would be a high number. I'm in love with vintage instruments, cars, furniture etc. What are my options, I have read in a couple ads that these are 260w 8ohm. I would like to know what range I should be looking in terms of wpc and whether these would be better with a high power reciever "sansui 9090db" or a low level receiver and a crown xls200... or the like of either. I know a few people on here have these, just havnt been able to find any info. Appreciate it.
Anything you know about em. I can use it. I got them for free about 10 years ago and havent touched them but they are MINT.

-thirstymate

Last edited:
Pictures maybe? I've never heard of them so I can't give an opinion. I also looked on the vintage Technics website and they weren't listed there either.

ill post pictures, I cant find info on these anywhere... Redman's sig says he has a pair. But i cant get in touch with him...

here ya go, anyone know anything about these.

Attachments

• PICT2997sm.jpg
    PICT2997sm.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 261
  • PICT3001sm.jpg
    PICT3001sm.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 136
Those are sharp. Never seen them before though. I'm sure someone can help out.

I'm pretty sure those were sold as part of a better-than-normal rack system (@$1200 range), around the early to mid 90s. I used to sell audio at a big-box store at that time and the Technics rack systems we stocked included speakers very similar to that. Bass didn't go all that low but had loads of "punch".

good to know. I'm going to try and get a kenwood kr 9600 or one of the other biggies. Does 260w at 8 ohmms seem correct for these speakers. Ive found a couple of ads online for these and that is the common factor. Just want to make sure before I'm left with a pile of shredded cones.

Generally speaking if a speaker has dome tweeters like yours it is of a higher quality than ones with simple paper cones. I would say those are probably good speakers. As for wattage, ratings on speakers is pretty useless and more of a sales item than anything. 200+ watts into those I think might be damaging. I have seen 2.5" Computer speakers that say 400 watts so this figure is really pretty meaningless for the most part.

more good info. I appreciate it. I've read also these were more popular in foreign markets, which would explain the lack of info in english. keep the info coming. any advise is well received. I have a good knowledge of sound, but in a wave format. speakers and receivers I'm not so hott. So I'll take any advise interms of getting these things together with a receiver, or tuner/amp, so I can start listening to vinyl again.

also, know of a good website listing vintage receivers with thier ratings?

Last edited:
Did you ever find out more about these. I just ran accross these locally. The person selling wants $100 for the pair, but said that she would negotiate.
Any info you could provide would be great. I have a pair of Polk audio RT-800. Would you consider these to be better than the Polks?

Just ran across this since I have been searching for a good while now for any information on these speakers. About to buy a pair of these advertised as "SB-A33's". They look identical.

I am hopefully picking them up Friday for $50.

I can bump this up with a modest review once I get them. Hopefully my Adcom 545 will be able to push these pups enough for the living room when guests are over.

Walker

Edit: Thirstymate: I see you now have these as your avatar, if you have the time a quick review with impressions and what you are driving them with would be superb!

here ya go, anyone know anything about these.

have you ever took the dome tweeters out? they look absolutely similar to my technics sb-t200's soft-dome tweeters that i repaired. they are wonderful tweeters overall. i'm just curious. i never say any other technic speakers before with dome tweeters that looked like mine.

Reviving an old thread here. I found a pair at a thrift store for 16.50, in good shape. Thoughts??

Good job, I picked up a pair today at $29.00, and thought it was a steal. Having heard these before I knew they indeed had some nice punch, and surprisingly some actual detail. If these can be got for 50 bucks or less it is a steal in my eyes. About the best speaker I have heard from Technics. I haven't heard some of thier really exotic high dollar ones though. Great all around speaker.

i picked up a pair of the SB-A52,s a couple years ago and for what they are they sound pretty good powered by a Realistic STA 2000 and the mach 1,s on A speaker and the Technics SB-A52,s on B...they look just like the A-32,s

I just picked up a pair of SB-A33's that I found on Craigslist for $90. The specs are identical to what you have listed. I have seen this model in wood color, but mine are black. Very nice speakers.

Back
Top Bottom