Technics SB-G910 Speaker Info?

MoparMan

I know these aren't a great speakers by a long shot (Kabukki). But I just got a pair of Technics SBG910 speakers for $12. Couldn't pass the deal up because of the strangeness of them, 15 inch woofers and decent looking 5 inch midrange. They have dB LEDs on the (top) front with tweeter attenuation buttons. Also a resettable tweeter protection button. Long story short; they say 300 watts on the back. Cabinets are cheap made and the grilles are shot. Got them home and hooked them up to test to find out both tweeters and the upper midranges are blown. The woofer and big midrange is fine. These are actually pretty impressive sounding on the low end and midrange. The bass is fairly low and tight sounding. Midrange is smooth and somewhat forward. They will get LOUD. Anyways, I'll eventually replace the tweeters/hi-mid with just a decent tweeter and let them go.

If anyone has info of any kind on these; please chime in. I'd like to know when they were made and some specs if possible...

Attachments

• SBG910-1.jpg
    SBG910-1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 105
  • SBG910.jpg
    SBG910.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Well, I guess I was right. Pretty rare to see, let alone have... Even though they might not be considered in the line of better speakers. Either way, I'm going to have fun with them after I replace the tweeter(s), brace the boxes and line them some. Good for playing rock 'n roll at ear splitting levels (like Mach Ones & Twos). I'd say the stock tweeters and midranges are a far-cry from the quality that comes from the Mach Ones/Twos but will be okay for the purpose.

i have a set of these i bought them when i was overseas in 1983. i too have replaced the tweeters. i cant rember what i put in them i think i bought the replacement tweets from radio shack back in the 90s. i dont think they have very good crossovers in them. they do sound good though. i have them sitting on top of a set op pioneer s-1010s from the same time frame. what tweeters are you going to put in. i may swap mine out also. i think if i look around i may have the manual for them. thanx brad

i have these along with a pair of the sb-g920's. my g910's are mint but my g920's are shot. i have my g920's and a pair of hpm100's hooked up to one of my sansui g-8000's and the hpm's sound better.

i would like to get rid of my g920's and keep my g910's cause of their condition.

you got a great score.

I laughed at the fact that the dust caps say "Super Bass"... :p:

But if they sound good to you, that's all that matters - don't listen to us pricks. Go find some tweeters for them and rock out

i have a set of these i bought them when i was overseas in 1983. i too have replaced the tweeters. i cant rember what i put in them i think i bought the replacement tweets from radio shack back in the 90s. i dont think they have very good crossovers in them. they do sound good though. i have them sitting on top of a set op pioneer s-1010s from the same time frame. what tweeters are you going to put in. i may swap mine out also. i think if i look around i may have the manual for them. thanx brad

A manual for these would be great. I'd just like to see what the specifications are. Private Message me if you find it. I'd appreciate it very much...

I laughed at the fact that the dust caps say "Super Bass"... :p:

But if they sound good to you, that's all that matters - don't listen to us pricks. Go find some tweeters for them and rock out

Yep, I know... That's what I thought when I saw the clear dustcaps with "Super Bass" on them too. Pretty funny. Especially since they don't have any really deep bass. It's just fairly low (mid 40 hz range) but really tight and dynamic sounding. Don't get me wrong, they sound good for what they are but they aren't as good as most of my other (40) sets of "really good" speakers. I just thought they were odd becuase of the tweeter attenuation buttons and LED (dB) power meters. The thing that got me to go ahead and buy them was the ridiculous price of $12 for the pair. If nothing else, I'd frankestein them and make something to crank rock n' roll on. I don't really care whether anyone considers them good or not. It don't bother me that they say Technics or Made In Japan on them. I have many other WAY better speakers than these. I know what these sound like and the potential is there. The midrange is really good and bass is sufficient. They are effecient and will play LOUD. I'd estimate the efficiency in the mid 90s for 1 watt. I may try some old Foster square horn tweeters in them to see what they sound like. They will fit in the upper tweeter hole with about a quarter of an inch of space around them. Probably just make me a plate to cover the hole and fit the tweeter in the middle of it. The tweeter attenuation buttons will be a plus in that situation. Also plan on lining the cabinets and putting some extra bracing in and then enjoy them...

Last edited:
Well, I guess I was right. Pretty rare to see, let alone have... Even though they might not be considered in the line of better speakers. Either way, I'm going to have fun with them after I replace the tweeter(s), brace the boxes and line them some. Good for playing rock 'n roll at ear splitting levels (like Mach Ones & Twos). I'd say the stock tweeters and midranges are a far-cry from the quality that comes from the Mach Ones/Twos but will be okay for the purpose.
I love these speaker,I run a pioneer dynamic range expander threw a kenwood intergrated reciever they can hndle more ylthan you think!Alot of these were sold in england that'r why you don't see many in states!My brother bought mine new in 86' stationed in england.I have only seen them on ebay!rock on!!

Yep, I know... That's what I thought when I saw the clear dustcaps with "Super Bass" on them too. Pretty funny. Especially since they don't have any really deep bass. It's just fairly low (mid 40 hz range) but really tight and dynamic sounding. Don't get me wrong, they sound good for what they are but they aren't as good as most of my other (40) sets of "really good" speakers. I just thought they were odd becuase of the tweeter attenuation buttons and LED (dB) power meters. The thing that got me to go ahead and buy them was the ridiculous price of $12 for the pair. If nothing else, I'd frankestein them and make something to crank rock n' roll on. I don't really care whether anyone considers them good or not. It don't bother me that they say Technics or Made In Japan on them. I have many other WAY better speakers than these. I know what these sound like and the potential is there. The midrange is really good and bass is sufficient. They are effecient and will play LOUD. I'd estimate the efficiency in the mid 90s for 1 watt. I may try some old Foster square horn tweeters in them to see what they sound like. They will fit in the upper tweeter hole with about a quarter of an inch of space around them. Probably just make me a plate to cover the hole and fit the tweeter in the middle of it. The tweeter attenuation buttons will be a plus in that situation. Also plan on lining the cabinets and putting some extra bracing in and then enjoy them...

LOL… I’ll never forget going to the PX in Fuerth Germany, waaaay back in the day, and putting down some decent coin for a Carver preamp and M400t power amp, Klipsch Heresy Speakers (I can’t recall the source device but I know it was a nice compact disc player). Hooking it all up and thinking I was really doing something until my roomie came in from the PX with THESE EXACT SPEAKERS, a Technics turntable and integrated amp. It not only was crisp, clear, and with tight bass, but it shamed stuff in the barracks costing thousands of bucks more. On a side note, I remember when the audio rooms in the PX would just make you drool! Wow, the stuff they use carry was just sick!!!

And now, speakers like these are highly sought after and impossible to find. Man oh man :) how the times change

Back
Top Bottom