Technics SL-1100 Opinion

Sprags

Last summer I purchased this Technics SL-1100 TT. At the time the table looked OK but dirty. It has a Shure V15 Type III cartridge. I accidentally broke the stylus but bought a replacement. I also bought a DJPreII phono preamp to test it with thinking I'd eventually get a tube phono preamp since I now have a Dynaco VTA ST-120 and Cary SLP03 amp and preamp.

I cleaned it up and polished out the scratches on the cover and it really looks pretty good. The only thing I don't have for the turntable is the strobe light which I'm guessing was an option at the time since the 45rpm record adapter fits in the pocket the strobe light plugs into.

The Tonearm is the original Tonearm which is kinda funky since it's prismatic in shape. I haven't really had time to test it out though. I'm almost ready to move in to my own place again since I moved and have my system packed away.

Does anyone have experience with this turntable? Will a new Rega perform better? I was really in the market for an SL-1200 or a vintage Thorens and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the SL-1100 performs or sounds better than the SL-1200?

Advice or opinions are what I'm looking for. Attached is a photo or two if that helps. Please excuse the photo quality and the fact that it seems I can only upload one photo from my iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 200
Well how do YOU like it? Pretty cool looking table and with the v15 should sound pretty damn good.

I like it...but I guess since I really wanted an SL-1200 I keep thinking I want one still. But I can't afford both and I don't think I could find one as nice as this TT for the price I paid I should be happy with this one.

And I think if there was a way I could get the strobe for it I'd be happier.

You can find the strobe on the action site. They come up for sale eventually. The SL-1100 is an excellent turntable. I own two of them. I also own a bunch of 1200's. I doubt if you will hear much difference if any, unless the 1200 is heavily modified.

I have been reading up on Technics since I bought an SL 1650 a few months ago. The SL 1100 is the integrated version of the SP-10 (considered by many the best Technics TT ever made) as such it was marketed to a professional end user rather than the mid-fi consumer 1200 and 1200 MK2 thru 5 user.

"Overshadowed by the later SL-1200 and its numerous versions, the SL-1100 was the original "integrated" sibling to the original SP-10 and its numerous versions."

"http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-1100.html

Last summer I purchased this Technics SL-1100 TT. At the time the table looked OK but dirty. It has a Shure V15 Type III cartridge. I accidentally broke the stylus but bought a replacement. I also bought a DJPreII phono preamp to test it with thinking I'd eventually get a tube phono preamp since I now have a Dynaco VTA ST-120 and Cary SLP03 amp and preamp.

I cleaned it up and polished out the scratches on the cover and it really looks pretty good. The only thing I don't have for the turntable is the strobe light which I'm guessing was an option at the time since the 45rpm record adapter fits in the pocket the strobe light plugs into.

The Tonearm is the original Tonearm which is kinda funky since it's prismatic in shape. I haven't really had time to test it out though. I'm almost ready to move in to my own place again since I moved and have my system packed away.

Does anyone have experience with this turntable? Will a new Rega perform better? I was really in the market for an SL-1200 or a vintage Thorens and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the SL-1100 performs or sounds better than the SL-1200?

Advice or opinions are what I'm looking for. Attached is a photo or two if that helps. Please excuse the photo quality and the fact that it seems I can only upload one photo from my iPad.

I'm sensing buyer's remorse.

If you really wanted a 1200, scratching my head as to why you went with the 1100. I'm quite sure a very well maintained original 1100 (I'm sure a few AK'ers have an 1100) will still sound outstanding.

If you only "like" the 1100, sell it and get a 1200...the table you really wanted in the first place.

Last edited:
One of Technics more interesting tables. Very much at the high end of their line at the time. I'd be happy if one came my way, that is for sure.

I have been reading up on Technics since I bought an SL 1650 a few months ago. The SL 1100 is the integrated version of the SP-10 (considered by many the best Technics TT ever made) as such it was marketed to a professional end user rather than the mid-fi consumer 1200 and 1200 MK2 thru 5 user.

:thumbsdn:Umm wrong - there is nothing midfi about the 1200.

:thumbsdn:Umm wrong - there is nothing midfi about the 1200.

That's how Technics promoted/advertised it compared to the more expensive professional level SP 10/SL 1100.

"The SL-1200 Mark 2 was introduced in 1979 . It was an update to the popular SL-1200 series. It again represented a culmination of Technics Turntable Innovations. It was dubbed as "The Middle Class Quartz Direct Drive". It was not released as a professional model, but became popular with pioneering hip-hop DJs. It soon found its way into discos as well as radio stations for airplay because of its vibration dampening ability and resistance to feedback."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200

"It was dubbed as "The Middle Class Quartz Direct Drive". It was not released as a "Professional Model, but became popular with pioneering hip-hop DJ's."

http://www.turntabletech.com/menu_item_10sl1200mk2.htm

"MK2 – Released in 1979 – Renamed the “The Middle Class Quartz Direct Drive”. This model became popular with hip-hop DJ’s. There were silver and black models available. The European SL-1210MK2 represented the black edition of the turntable and featured some updated internals."

http://www.digitaldjhub.com/the-best-vintage-dj-turntable-technics-sl-1200/

I stand by my comment. You are mixing middle class terms (from wiki none the less) with midfi. Please quote Panasonic directly.

My notion of midfi, if I had to use that term - which I do not , is the low end of any manufacturer - it could also be considered by others (not me) anything produced by Technics (even Pioneer for that matter) - which would mean the SP10 is also midfi - which I certainly do not believe.

To me - Midfi is a derogatory term.

At any rate the sl1200 is certainly not midfi. It has been used at radio stations - which if you like puts it in the professional category - not that the term professional really matters to me.

Doubt there were any "hip-hop DJs" around when the SL-1200Mk2 was released in 1979, I'll agree it was common place in discos/clubs and saw limited use in broadcast, probably college radio stations on a tight budget and broadcast mobile setups. The OP might want to give the SL-1100 a serious listen, only his ears will determine how it sounds/performs. The OP could spend anywhere from a couple hundred to many thousands of dollars for new Rega turntables to see how they compare with his SL-1100, only he will be able to determine how they stack up in his system. If the OP doesn't have a lot money to spend swapping out multiple turntables he might want to count his blessings that he already has a very good table to start with and make the most of it.

The fact that the table came with a Shure V15 Type III says everything you need to know about whether the table is worth keeping vs. 1200.

Feel free to send the 1100 my way if you're just not that into it.

Doubt there were any "hip-hop DJs" around when the SL-1200Mk2 was released in 1979, I'll agree it was common place in discos/clubs and saw limited use in broadcast, probably college radio stations on a tight budget and broadcast mobile setups. The OP might want to give the SL-1100 a serious listen, only his ears will determine how it sounds/performs. The OP could spend anywhere from a couple hundred to many thousands of dollars for new Rega turntables to see how they compare with his SL-1100, only he will be able to determine how they stack up in his system. If the OP doesn't have a lot money to spend swapping out multiple turntables he might want to count his blessings that he already has a very good table to start with and make the most of it.
:thmbsp: If I had been able to get my hands on a SL-1100 as my first table I'd have been thrilled, to say the least. With the right cart it should sound excellent. I'm not sure of the effective mass of the arm, but if the V15 III is a good match and the electronics downstream suit it should sound very good. I suspect you might need to go a bit up the Rega totem pole to get better results.

I sold 3 of the SL1100's to the local Classical Radio station in 1973. They were a big improvement for WETA-FM. They used them until they went talk back in 2008. The SL1100's could not have been "the integrated version of the SP-10".

Having owned one new since 76 I can tell you it's very well made nice sounding table with adjustable arm height and user replaceable audio cables. So if you wanted to try say higher capacitance cables you could which some of the older Shures are speced at.
I've read that people have had success using a night light as the strobe light.

Good luck I'd keep the table.

I sold 3 of the SL1100's to the local Classical Radio station in 1973. They were a big improvement for WETA-FM. They used them until they went talk back in 2008. The SL1100's could not have been "the integrated version of the SP-10".

As the highly respected "Vintage Knob" states "the SL-1100 was the original "integrated" sibling to the original SP-10 and its numerous versions.". You may know more than they do, but I will take their word for it.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-1100.html

From what I remember reading the SL 1100 used the same motor as the SP10 MKI. The chassis was different, not sure about the platter. Does it share parts with the SP10 MK I? Sure, but that does not make it its equal.

Regards
Mister Pig

As the highly respected "Vintage Knob" states "the SL-1100 was the original "integrated" sibling to the original SP-10 and its numerous versions.". You may know more than they do, but I will take their word for it.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-1100.html

For being "Highly respected" their site sure misses a LOT of products.

The SL1100 was a slow starting tt, whereas the SP10's were very fast. That doesn't suggest the same motor.

From what I remember reading the SL 1100 used the same motor as the SP10 MKI. The chassis was different, not sure about the platter. Does it share parts with the SP10 MK I? Sure, but that does not make it its equal.

Regards
Mister Pig

"Integrated sibling" does not mean equal. It does mean that it doesn't have a separate power supply. But it was considered, like the SP 10, for professional use. At least that is what the Vintage Knob states and they have no reason to spread false information.

Back
Top Bottom