Technics SL-1200G Speed and Wow and Flutter Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decibel_116

AK Subscriber
So, I purchased one of these new Technics SL-1200G models to "upgrade" my current Technics SL-1210M5G setup. After I set it up, I noticed the strobe was showing a slight wavering of the dots. Worse, I thought I heard it too when I played my favorite Diana Krall record. It is normal for the older platters to have a slight up and down movement in the dots due to manufacturing tolerance, but the platter itself is machined flat. It appears the new models have the same issue. However, this is an actual slowing and speeding up of the strobe itself. It seems to be at the same place in the rotation as well. I checked this with "RPM Speed and Wow" app on my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone and verified the problem. The platter speed is an average of 33.20 rpm with a wow measurement of +/- 0.17%. That doesn't look too good to me. In comparison, I ran the same test on my M5G and got a wow measurement of +/- 0.045%. Wow! (pun intended) The old model beats the new one? Is there something wrong with mine or is anyone getting these measurements?

Something wrong I think. Try though sliding pitch slider all the way in both directions while running then re zero it see if that fixes it.
Chris

Have you verified this problem with a strobe disc?

I printed a paper strobe out on my printer and I couldn't tell anything from it. The main evidence I have that there is an issue is a comparison to my old, cogging POS 1200M5G.

I would think if my old style 1200 keeps much better speed and twice as good of a wow measurement, something is wrong. right? :confused:

If you can record (not from speakers) a W&F track I’ll do a polar plot for you. Sounds like something is wrong my GAE measured exemplary.

I printed a paper strobe out on my printer and I couldn't tell anything from it. The main evidence I have that there is an issue is a comparison to my old, cogging POS 1200M5G.

I would think if my old style 1200 keeps much better speed and twice as good of a wow measurement, something is wrong. right? :confused:

I see your point, but I did not mean a printed paper strobe disc.

If you can record (not from speakers) a W&F track I’ll do a polar plot for you. Sounds like something is wrong my GAE measured exemplary.
Thats very kind of you. Let me see what I can rig up to record. What do you need for a signal. A steady tone from a test record?

Yes 3.15kHz is typical for W&F. Anything around there that’s a single steady tone should work.
OK. I will work on this. Thanks again. After watching the platter carefully tonight, especially at 78, I am beginning to believe the platter may be out of spec. (warped) I hope I am wrong.

OK. I will work on this. Thanks again. After watching the platter carefully tonight, especially at 78, I am beginning to believe the platter may be out of spec. (warped) I hope I am wrong.
Remove platter clean hole and reinstall it and see if it fixes the warp. Also did you try adjusting the slider and then re centering?
Chris

If after rechecking that platter is properly seated, etc.. the problem persists, I'd call your dealer and ask for a replacement. Assuming you bought this new there's no reason you should now have to wait weeks for it to be repaired. I would politely insist that it be replaced with a new-in-box unit or I'd invoke their return policy and ask your for money back and buy elsewhere.

I have a new Technics SL-1210GR and it is spot on perfect. ..Zero speed fluctuation.

And contrary to your point, I've been reading reviews - both user and audio mags - all over the web and have NOT read that this is a common issue. This seems like a very isolated problem.

If after rechecking that platter is properly seated, etc.. the problem persists, I'd call your dealer and ask for a replacement. Assuming you bought this new there's no reason you should now have to wait weeks for it to be repaired. I would politely insist that it be replaced with a new-in-box unit or I'd invoke their return policy and ask your for money back and buy elsewhere.

I have a new Technics SL-1210GR and it is spot on perfect. ..Zero speed fluctuation.

And contrary to your point, I've been reading reviews - both user and audio mags - all over the web and have NOT read that this is a common issue. This seems like a very isolated problem.

I will re-check the platter installation again, but I really don't think that is the issue. I have even tried moving the AC power plug to a different line. I put on a test record last night with a steady 1khz tone. The speed fluctuation is very noticeable. In fact, I can watch the strobe make two (2) distinct adjustments to the speed. I looks like it starts out at the correct speed, then adjusts down at 1/3 revolution, down again at 2/3 revolution, then back to correct speed when it completes the revolution. So, maybe this has nothing to do with the platter and is a problem with the speed control circuit. I will call the dealer today.

Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom