Technics SL-1200GR & SL-1210GR

wgb113

Looks like the other thread got closed. Looking to start one for owners to share experiences.

I ordered my SL-1200GR at the beginning of May packaged with an Ortofon 2M Bronze. My dealer initially said they'd be in around the beginning of June but is now saying the end of July is more likely. It seems like Europe already has their decks.

I wanted the SL-1210GR but was told by my dealer (who was told by the Technics rep) that it wasn't going to be available in the US.

I'm coming from a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Blue and Acryl-It platter. I've also upgraded my phono preamp/ADC from a Pro-Ject PhonoBox V USB to a PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter.

I recently picked up an Ortofon 2M Mono and SH-4 headshell to go with it.

I was considering many of the usual suspects in the $1500 price range including:

• Rega P3 w/Exact
  • Clearaudio Concept w/MM
  • Marantz TT-S15
  • MoFi UltraDeck
  • Avid Ingenium
  • VPI Scout Jr.
I briefly owned a Clearaudio Concept Wood w/MM and while it was a very nice sounding and well made table it just didn't seem as big a step up from my Pro-Ject (I think the cart was the weak link) so I returned it.

Looking forward to getting the Technics deck, it's been rough not having a table in the main rig for nearly two months, especially with some of the releases that've come out. Hoping the new 1200s are as bullet proof and reliable as the originals so that it's my last table.

Bill

Hello congrats on your purchase. From what I understand they are suppose to be just as reliable as the older ones. I have 2 1200s now and love them. Been playing with cartridges on mine and enjoying them for about 3 years. I listened to one at the RMAF 2016 and it had a ortofon 2m black on it. They were playing Alabama shakes which I have and I have to say the sonic signature was about the same as my older 1200s. They had it on all technics gear also. If u have a standard 1200 to compare that would be great. Let us know what u think. There's a guy on YouTube says it sounds a whole lot better than his old 1200. You can also post this in the 1200 owners club forum. Here's a pic from the Rmaf . I'm thinking about the P3 down the line.

image.jpeg

Here's a pic of my 1210 M5G

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I ordered my SL-1200GR at the beginning of May packaged with an Ortofon 2M Bronze. My dealer initially said they'd be in around the beginning of June but is now saying the end of July is more likely. It seems like Europe already has their decks.

Bill
Have you gotten it yet, and if so, what are your impressions?
Same goes for all other SL-1200GR owners. Post your input, please.

uUhNwDo.jpg

Review to come when I'm not on my iPad.

Cow mat looks cool.

I notice the arm and bearing housing on the new Technics is thicker and more heavy looking than the old 1200mk2.

I wonder whether the increased bearing mass (likely) is beneficial?

How does the Bronze sound on it? My 1200GR came in this past Saturday, but I'm waiting in the Bronze to come in from LP Gear.
It's fantastic. I really enjoyed the 2M Blue I had on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and the Bronze really improves on it in every way. I feel like it's often overlooked as many jump to the Black but like the Red and the Blue the Bronze represents one of the best values in it's price range.

It's fantastic. I really enjoyed the 2M Blue I had on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and the Bronze really improves on it in every way. I feel like it's often overlooked as many jump to the Black but like the Red and the Blue the Bronze represents one of the best values in it's price range.

Thanks. My Bronze is out for delivery, but UPS doesn't hit my street until 5-6PM. I may have to wait until tomorrow to mount it and give the rig a go, I'm looking forward to it.

I have such a desire for a SL-1200GR, really, a 1210GR, but no need or justification. I have a like new SL-1200MK2 with the KAB dampener. Love it. I am sure I will end up with a GR one day, if the 1210 comes to the US it will be a done deal.

I'd been considering a SL-1200GR but would much prefer a 1210GR. I've decided to wait and see if Technics decides to bring the 1210 to the US.

Just found some info from KAB:

http://kabusa.com/whats.htm
Beginning to evaluate for TD1200 damping system. Surprised to find that the GR arm is using the old tinplated wire - same as older MK2's. So rewire process will also be evaluated, since tin plated copper robs the sound stage of top octave detail.

Back
Top Bottom