Technics SL-1200MK2 vs. Audio Technica AT-LP120 Blind Test

I only listened to the first track, #2 was clearly superior, enough that I didn't bother with the next two songs. I'll have to take a closer listen. When I have time, possibly with some listening enhancements :scratch2:

The answers so far weigh about 4 : 1 in favor of the Technics, but it's interesting to see how different people interpret the samples. ODS posted before I fixed the first audio file, in which the Technics was off-pitch.

If you'd not tipped everyone off to the fact that the motor noise was on the AT, I doubt the responses would have stayed the same. Up until that point, the AT had a slight lead and it was very quiet for a long time ... and I see a few people who've changed their answers lol

That said, I have a PL-630 and an AT and the difference is much more discernible than this test. Possibly the digital transfer dampens the effect.

Last edited:

Did you consider the size of the RCAs would have on your test results? The Technics uses a standard larger gauge of RCA cable than the Audio Technica. I think the AT uses pretty thin unshielded RCAs, almost too thin. They should have made the provision to be detachable as they are in the Stantons.

RCAs and sound quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIT_EkJv93A&noredirect=1

he compares RCAs of different diameters and notices the specific outcome which is similar to the AT in your test.

Last edited:
That said, I have a PL-630 and an AT and the difference is much more discernible than this test. Possibly the digital transfer dampens the effect.

Are your PL-630 and AT connected to the same speakers/in the same room? Do they both output at exactly the same volume? All of these considerations are important when comparing devices.

For the Jazz I prefer number 2. I hear more depth in the sound stage and more detail int he bass. There is some motor noise in the beginning but number 1 is softer over all and the sound stage sounds pinched. Both perform well in high end extension and detail though.

For the radiohead tracks, number 2 immediate has better high in detail with the acoustic strums, and overall more energy and excitement. I like number 2 leagues ahead of number 1 this time around.

For the last two tracks, my vote goes for number 1. This time number 2 sounds less detailed in the highs, un pleasent to listen to compare to number 1.

A little about myself I'm 21, and I'm researching both of these turntables because I want to buy one. I'm a producer-singer/songwriter and I'm used to critical listening (normally judging different microphones on different sources). I'm hoping that the AT-LP120 was the one my ears has pointed too, because it's easy to come buy then the vintage Technics. Fingers crossed

Shiiguy I doubt there is any place in the world no matter how remote that you couldn't find a Technics SL-1200Mk2. I equate it to the Toyota pickup truck of turntables, used all over the world in the harshest environments by the most punishing operators and needing little service to keep it going forever. Anyone remember the total production run of the 1200 and siblings? Has to be in the multi millions. Shiiguy good luck with your musical career and my advice is stick with professional grade equipment, Technics.

Very surprised that some folks preferred Jazz #1. I honestly only listened to the Jazz set. But immediately thought hey that #1 sounds very good, I may have to rethink my opinion on "Budget" turntables. But then I played #2 and said "Whoop there it is". And this was with my laptop sitting on the vanity while I was shaving. What really gave it away for me was the air and texture of miles horn, on #1. Then, after a re listen, to sum it up..... #2 Jazz I would say sounded "Fragile" like the entire recording is straining to keep going. #1 relaxed, and right at home....IMHO.

We all know the Technics is the better piece in quality, sound, reputation and residual
value
If your Just looking for a decent TT at an unbeatable price w a decent cartridge included?
Th Audio Technica is your new baby and your gonna love it !
NUFF SAID !

I am a bit late for the discussion but many thanks fo the blind test, I am currently looking for a turntable, haven`t owned one in decades now and I`m a bit on a budget, which is why i was considering the audio technica...well maybe I better wait, save some more money and invest a bit more...it doesn`t make much sense to go back to vinyl and then cut in the sound quality for money...its interesting to read through the comments and find so many different opinions...yes, this rumble sound does give away which one is playing, but apart from that I think the difference is huge in the radiohead sample.....there is a lot of midmud going on in #1 that I am a bit concerned about my ears not being able to make out such a big difference in the Jazz sample. The electro sample sounds a bit dull by nature I would guess?

I am a bit late for the discussion but many thanks fo the blind test, I am currently looking for a turntable, haven`t owned one in decades now and I`m a bit on a budget, which is why i was considering the audio technica...well maybe I better wait, save some more money and invest a bit more...it doesn`t make much sense to go back to vinyl and then cut in the sound quality for money...its interesting to read through the comments and find so many different opinions...yes, this rumble sound does give away which one is playing, but apart from that I think the difference is huge in the radiohead sample.....there is a lot of midmud going on in #1 that I am a bit concerned about my ears not being able to make out such a big difference in the Jazz sample. The electro sample sounds a bit dull by nature I would guess?

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Enjoy the music while you are learning how to play with a turn table. :)

Ken, you need to audition tables. Don't go by what you read online. It's a start, but making a decision based on what someone else, who hears differently than you do, can cost you more money than it needs to.

Welcome to AK and have fun :)

Ken Tower if you havnt owned a turntable for decades you might want to give some careful thought before you purchase a table. What you payed for a table decades ago may not purchase the same level of performance. Their are claims of turntables being "modern" but when a closer look is taken all that was done was cut corners with the mfgs not the same and the countries of mfg not the same. Welcome to AK.

The LP120 is operating in "line" mode, bypassing the internal preamp and using the Phono input on the Sony.

The turntable should in fact be set to "Phono otherwise, you're using two pre-amps not one...

The LP120 is operating in "line" mode, bypassing the internal preamp and using the Phono input on the Sony.

The turntable should in fact be set to "Phono otherwise, you're using two pre-amps not one...

Welcome to the AK turn table forum. :music:

Back
Top Bottom