Technics SL-1210 M5G Turntable...Thoughts and opinions on its sonics

If you buy one, make sure there is no perceptible play or friction in the arm bearings. That’s a sure sign of DJ abuse and not an easy fix.
Thanks for this!
I've been scouring the listings, and primarily focusing on tables used at home, at least that's my goal. It may take a little time to find the right one.

Lots of tonearms of this vintage have a bit of play just from age and adjustments shifting, is there something about the 1200 that makes this an impossibility or is it just likely that one with play has been abused because it's the world's most popular DJ table?

Lots of tonearms of this vintage have a bit of play just from age and adjustments shifting, is there something about the 1200 that makes this an impossibility or is it just likely that one with play has been abused because it's the world's most popular DJ table?

I've owned an SL D2, SL D202, and an SL-1210. All were purchased new, and none had any play that could be felt by hand even after years of use. Friction was also so low that the slightest movement of the counterweight resulted in a change of height above the record surface when balancing with no trace of "sticktion". I couldn't say that about many tt's in their price range back then.

I've actually never seen a 1200/1210 with tonearm bearing play [owned 4]. I have however seen the condition people are trying to correct by loosening things up a bit.....damaged bearings.
There are lock rings holding the bearings in place. Bearing clearance was set by the factory to a very very small tolerance. Some say, set with a lazer to one micron clearance.
Don't know if that's true, but strictly speaking, no normal human should ever mess with them. Tale-tell signs are scratches/marks around the bearings/lock rings. If you see that, there's a very good chance you're looking at buying a new arm.

Honestly, if I were looking to build a TT up with performance/$ being my only concern, I'd probably look out for an SL-120 and stick a really nice tonearm on it.

I don't know about performance, but one of the coolest looking tables I've ever seen was an SL-110a [brother to the 120] mounted with a Black Widow tonearm.
Still haunts my dreams.

Last edited:
The 1200 has a lot going for it in terms of price, durability, quantity of them available, and cheap parts. As far as sound quality, its adequate but not exceptional. The stock 1200's that I have listened to have a dead kind of sound, with the inability to resolve the finer shadings of resolution. The table doesn't sound bad, but its not great.

As far as tables I would rather own, it would be certain other direct drives, belt drives, or idlers. I would take a Systemdeck II XE over a 1200. I would take one of the various Denon tables that allow a separate arm mounted to it. I would sooner have a Garrard 401 or modified Lenco. I would probably take one of the better quality direct drives from Sony, JVC, or Denon over the 1200 also. If I had to, as those servo controlled arms concern me.

But for under $500 a 1200 is a reasonable choice, especially given its dependability and sheer amount available. But I would sooner have a Systemdeck IIXE if I were looking for sound quality. Now a modified AR XA by Marc Morin is perhaps one of the bestest values in audio right now.

Regards
Mister Pig

I agree with the pig, and I have a real soft spot for the classic 1200mkii. My grandparents gave me one as a high school graduation gift and it was the heart of my system for 20 years. I ended up mounting an Audiomods arm on it, and have used my Zu 103 on it too. It’s a rock solid bulletproof table, and sounds very good - but “adequate but not exceptional” is a spot on description.

In the past few years I’ve acquired a Garrard 401 and a Thorens TD126 mkii, and IMO the sound of each of these tables, although very different from one another, is miles ahead of the 1200 in pure “musicality” for lack of a better term.
Ive heard the Technics table you have at the last AK meet - IMO a 1200 while cool for many reasons would be a lateral move (sonically).

I agree with the pig, and I have a real soft spot for the classic 1200mkii. My grandparents gave me one as a high school graduation gift and it was the heart of my system for 20 years. I ended up mounting an Audiomods arm on it, and have used my Zu 103 on it too. It’s a rock solid bulletproof table, and sounds very good - but “adequate but not exceptional” is a spot on description.

In the past few years I’ve acquired a Garrard 401 and a Thorens TD126 mkii, and IMO the sound of each of these tables, although very different from one another, is miles ahead of the 1200 in pure “musicality” for lack of a better term.
Ive heard the Technics table you have at the last AK meet - IMO a 1200 while cool for many reasons would be a lateral move (sonically).
This is exactly what I'm looking for. A lateral move, that's why I started this thread. Frankly, my SL-1900 with the ZU cart I feel is far above adequate, but if a 1200 series is not going to make that big a improvement then that's ok. There are better tables out there. I haven't ruled out the JVC tables I've lusted after for a few years now. The whole discussion though is very informative for me.

Hi Gd70 I have 2 1200s one being a M5g. I also have a 1900 which I like also. I have a At440mla cart mounted to the M5g and sounds really nice. I must admit though I have moved the tables around and like the sound of my 1200-M3D a bit better. I have a funk firm mat on that one with a At120e cart on it.I have the M5g playing on some vintage advents. I also posted a video in ur thread let’s hear the systems with the M5g. i do have my eye on the rega P3 or P6 in the future to replace the 1900 in the future on that system. The M5g is a cool looking table also. Prices are all over the board on them also. I want to try the fluid damper on them also.

F40456B5-3295-400B-8B29-C5596094AF0B.jpeg

Hi Gd70 I have 2 1200s one being a M5g. I also have a 1900 which I like also. I have a At440mla cart mounted to the M5g and sounds really nice. I must admit though I have moved the tables around and like the sound of my 1200-M3D a bit better. I have a funk firm mat on that one with a At120e cart on it.I have the M5g playing on some vintage advents. I also posted a video in ur thread let’s hear the systems with the M5g. i do have my eye on the rega P3 or P6 in the future to replace the 1900 in the future on that system. The M5g is a cool looking table also. Prices are all over the board on them also. I want to try the fluid damper on them also.

View attachment 1052678
Hey Bahama!
Excellent to hear you have both TT's. I agree, the 1210 is very cool looking. I'll go back and check out your video too.
In your opinion, going from the 1900 to the 1200, would it basically be a lateral move?
Glenn

Last edited:
GD70 I have in use a sl 1900 this is a good solid TT and imo it bests most modern entry TTs. I recntly picked up a 1700 mk2 basicly a 1200.It was a pretty significant jump up. First the motor is more stable less W&F and quartz locked, the tonearm is superior, has much better bearings, is smoother in operation, a better S/N ratio and you get azimuth adjustment.I moved my Pickering XLZ to the 1700 and have been very happy. First the sound is much cleaner , the space between tracks is much quieter,same when listening to a piano or acoustic guitar the space between notes. The music also seemed to open up and be more detailed.I see it as a step up not sideways. The 1900 is now set up for stanton MI carts. Hope this helps Good Luck

GD70 I have in use a sl 1900 this is a good solid TT and imo it bests most modern entry TTs. I recntly picked up a 1700 mk2 basicly a 1200.It was a pretty significant jump up. First the motor is more stable less W&F and quartz locked, the tonearm is superior, has much better bearings, is smoother in operation, a better S/N ratio and you get azimuth adjustment.I moved my Pickering XLZ to the 1700 and have been very happy. First the sound is much cleaner , the space between tracks is much quieter,same when listening to a piano or acoustic guitar the space between notes. The music also seemed to open up and be more detailed.I see it as a step up not sideways. The 1900 is now set up for stanton MI carts. Hope this helps Good Luck
Hey Steven!
This is great info and appreciated! I’m getting to the point of being torn between the 1200/1210 and JVC Q-L7.

Hey Bahama!
Excellent to hear you have both TT's. I agree, the 1210 is very cool looking. I'll go back and check out your video too.
In your opinion, going from the 1900 to the 1200, would it basically be a lateral move?
Glenn

Hi Gd70 , pretty much what Steven said. It’s definitely cleaner sound and more stable. I would look towards a 1200mk2 or M3d in good shape for 300 dollars or so. For the M5g you would see little sonic performance compared to the originals and money spent. If ur planning on spending 700 or more I would definitely check your options like the rega p2 or ???? Let us know what u come up with and the differences.

I love how this TT looks, and seems to be built like a tank. How does it sound though? Reviews seem to say it's better than the earlier 1200 series. Prices are all over the place on this one from a little under Five, to new over 2K!
What could be an equal, or better TT in the 6-800 range sonically?
My SL-1900 sounds great with my ZU modded Denon DL103 MC cart, but the cart I think brings out the weaknesses as well. I'm also open to suggestions this cart would shine on as well.
As always, opinions and TT wisdom far beyond mine is appreciated.
Cheers, Glenn

I have an M5G. It comes stock with upgraded tonearm wiring (oxygen free copper) that the standard 1200s don't have. I'm currently running an AT150MLX. This cart has a superb synergy with the M5G.

The M5G was the top of the line model when Technics suspended production in 2010. It sounds excellent with the right cart.

I'm running a Denon 103R on an Empire belt drive and the M5G with AT150MLX is in the same class. You won't be disappointed.

A sealed new old stock M5G goes for about $1500. Get a used mint one for a few hundred less. Or save up and get the new 1200GR for $2K.

If you don't like the M5G, you can flip it and get your money back since it's the defacto club DJ turntable and will always be in demand.

I have an M5G. It comes stock with upgraded tonearm wiring (oxygen free copper) that the standard 1200s don't have. I'm currently running an AT150MLX. This cart has a superb synergy with the M5G.

The M5G was the top of the line model when Technics suspended production in 2010. It sounds excellent with the right cart.

I'm running a Denon 103R on an Empire belt drive and the M5G with AT150MLX is in the same class. You won't be disappointed.

A sealed new old stock M5G goes for about $1500. Get a used mint one for a few hundred less. Or save up and get the new 1200GR for $2K.

If you don't like the M5G, you can flip it and get your money back since it's the defacto club DJ turntable and will always be in demand.

I also run the AT150MLX on my 1210 (it was recommended by Kevin at KAB some years ago when J&R was blowing them out for $275 or so) and I agree, it's quite a combination. My 1200 has an AT440MLA on it and it's also an outstanding combination. Highly recommended, either way.

Ok gents, I pulled the trigger on a 1210 M5G in excellent condition on fleabay.
First listing didn't sell, price dropped in half and I couldn't let it go. I figured this was the last and best model in this line at a lower price than some 1200 MK2's are listed for.
Can't wait to hear this with the ZU cart! I'll post a sonic report once it's hooked up.
It will also be interesting to compare this to my 1900 with the Ortofon 2M Red mounted in an A/B test.
Thanks guys for all your help!

I have a Technics SL-1200 II that I love. Years ago it was sent to Paul (Delihaus) for his full mod. I also have a AR-XA that is bone stock that sound good too, a more floaty, rubbery sound. But the AR-XA is a PITA to dial in and use.

I first became aware of the Technics SL1200 II at the radio station I worked at. I love the robust build, quick torque, iconic design and reliability. I was playing a Lou Reed Perfect Night, the presentation is anything but 'dead'. Very dynamic. Bill Evans Another Time was sounded superb.

EDIT: Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom