Technics sl-1600 vs. Clearaudio Concept

honestabe316

Oh Chief! - Jane Hathaway
Hi....
With tax return season coming quickly I have been thinking about another turntable. Actually have wanted to for a year or so but gonna do it this time.
Currently I have a fully functional looks like new Technics SL-1600 with a Stanton 681eee cart. I love it....
Recently I saw that I could get a "plug n play" Clearaudio Concept with arm and mm cart from soundstage for $1599 shipped.
My question is whether the Clearaudio Concept would be the main table or the secondary table. I haven't been able to find any comments anywhere comparing the tables.
The concept by clear audio seems like a deal. For $2199 I can get the mc cart from clear audio...$1599 with mm cart.
If this table isn't a clear step up in performance from my Technics them maybe I wait another year so my budget is higher.....honestly, my set up now songs like a crow...but I have no where to hear what better is? I just want to upgrade but it should be a noticeable positive upgrade.

You might want to chat with AK member Cliff O, or at least look at his posts. He bought the Marantz table which is built by Clearaudio, and it replaced a Denon DD that he had. It also got an improved Dynavector MC on it, and the modestly priced Emotiva phono stage. From what I read it looks to be a significant improvement over the Denon. So while not a Technics table (although some think the Denon is actually better) it is an experience that is similar to the question you are asking.

Just an observation from a simple pig.

Regards
Mister Pig

You might want to chat with AK member Cliff O, or at least look at his posts. He bought the Marantz table which is built by Clearaudio, and it replaced a Denon DD that he had. It also got an improved Dynavector MC on it, and the modestly priced Emotiva phono stage. From what I read it looks to be a significant improvement over the Denon. So while not a Technics table (although some think the Denon is actually better) it is an experience that is similar to the question you are asking.

Just an observation from a simple pig.

Regards
Mister Pig
Thanks Mr. Piggs.....

I will pursue that lead....my concern is that I would end up with a table that might only equal my Technics.....in which case I could have spent $1200 less than what the concept would cost by buying another Technics sl1600...

Scott

Thanks Mr. Piggs.....

I will pursue that lead....my concern is that I would end up with a table that might only equal my Technics.....in which case I could have spent $1200 less than what the concept would cost by buying another Technics sl1600...

Scott

Well make sure you have a return option then. You might not get the cheapest price that way, and you will be out shipping costs. But if you want to be sure you get an improvement, then provide yourself with a safeguard.

Regards
Mister Pig

Well make sure you have a return option then. You might not get the cheapest price that way, and you will be out shipping costs. But if you want to be sure you get an improvement, then provide yourself with a safeguard.

Regards
Mister Pig

Soundstage direct and music direct both have 60 day return policies and are very reputable....so that shouldn't be a concern....you can buy the concept for $1399/no cart......$1599/mm cart.....and $2199/mc cart....
I have never owned a mc cart. I have a Yamaha cx-2 pre-amp with both mm/mc capability but not sure if it has the right specs to support whatever mc cart that clear audio installs on the Concept table. The mc cart is 4x the cost of the mm cart. I don't really know much about mc except that the styli are a part of the cart and retipping is likely when it wears out if you like the cart.
I guess I should also research the differences in mm/mc carts as that choice may affect my original question.

Many Concept owners have recommended going with the MC version. Personally, I think a new cartridge would account for 85% of any sound difference. The Concept is likely to be quieter, but with more w&f. Whether that is a good tradeoff may depend on how sensitive you are to w&f. Choosing a turntable in your price range is a frustrating task, imo. Getting just a new cartridge might be a more economical upgrade. But nobody I know of will sell a cartridge alone and allow returns. The success of any LOMC may also depend on the quality of your MC phono section, unless you do a SUT into the MM input.

Thanks....the table and cart both had really great reviews overall. Without being able to test drive all the equipment, reviews and opinions are all I had to go on.

I've heard great things about the Ortofon 2M, especially the Black.
That's what I'm hoping. I have a Stanton 681eee cartridge on my Technics sl-1600 and as I'm playing a sonny Rollins lp right now, I ask myself how can it get much better.....in the day this had to be one of the greats.....but in the pursuit of "betterment"....I'm sure a brand new set up all the way around will produce something likeable.
Staying opinions on new vinyl pressings will be more fun at least. I will be more in the neighborhood of the other members setups I have seen.....plus it will be nice to have a little more leeway in the upgrade route if I ever desire so......

No.......Seth at Soundstage said it was too late to ship last night so it would be shipping today......I'm leaving tomorrow at 5 for ice fishing trip till Monday so I'm gonna have my neighbor take it in when it arrives.....I'm wondering though if ups will leave it on my porch? Geez I should see if they will hold it at the ups distribution center till I can pick it up......didn't think of that.....hmmmm

I don't have any warped vinyl......I don't buy it and I quickly dispose any that I am given or find.......the platter on the performance dc is not aluminum...it's a polymer.....so....being new to the higher end tables...do I need a may of any type? A clamp? I know these are newbt ?'s but I need to know.....this is going to be very different from my Technics with a rubber may and aluminum platter.....

I see the OP has already bought a table, but thought, as the owner of an SL-1700 and Clearaudio Concept, my thoughts might still be of use to someone.

I used the SL-1700 with a Shure M97xe and an AT33EV; both carts were excellent with the right preamp. The SL1700 is a marvoulous piece of engineering. Mine was an MK1 so it didn't have the quartz speed lock, but it was very very stable.

The Clearaudio concept has lower rumble noise floor - that is the main advantage for me as I rip records to PC. Without checking the specs I can tell you that according to my meters the rumble is about 8dB lower on the Clearaudio. The tonearm is very good too...

I could easily live with either of those turntables with the right preamp.

Hello as a fellow technics owner I would like to know what you think of the clear audio compared to what you have. Dynamics sound clarity and the like. I have seen many vintage turntable owners upgrade and spend the money for a newer table for the same sound. We also like pictures.

Hello as a fellow technics owner I would like to know what you think of the clear audio compared to what you have. Dynamics sound clarity and the like. I have seen many vintage turntable owners upgrade and spend the money for a newer table for the same sound. We also like pictures.
I'm going to start my unpackaging and set up this afternoon after my dentist appt.....a special treat after a unpleasant 1/2 hour......still haven't decided which lp to christen it with....

I'm playing the mfsl santana abraxas 1 Step UD1S lp and the difference is pretty significant from my Technics sl-1600 and Stanton 681eee cartridge.....the bass is deeper and more precise and Carlos vocals sound much more realistic I believe....and the only word I can think of Is less lazy....the instruments jump out at you in a very organized manner.....this is gonna be a fun table/ cart combo to play with

In playing a copy of cheap trick live at the Budokan which I never cared for as a recording and it is sounding really great actually....I decided to play an album that I love but aren't happy with the recording to see if this new setup could bring it to life.....in actually surprised that it sounds this much better.....I always thought it had a muddy sound.....sounds love and vibrant now....hmmm

I've never understood the people who say they need an inferior turntable to enjoy lesser-mastered classic rock, or whatever.

Congratulations on your new Clearaudio Performance DC!

Do you have a camera? :)

Back
Top Bottom