Technics SL 1610MK2

Wife went to an estate sale with some friends and came home with a Technics SL 1610mk2 turntable, I knew she was always wanting a turntable to get back to playing her vinyls, the Turntable has original box and manuals. She paid $100.00 for it. Cosmetically very clean and all the functions work. Has a AT 440MLB cartridge. Not familiar with the Technics 1610mk2 is this a different turntable than the Technics 1600mk2? I know the 1600 mk2 is silver.
Any thoughts on the Technics 1610mk2.

The SL-1610mk2 is a serious table! Very good for $100, I'd say.

The Technics model numbering for most of their turntables works in a way that the number 10 in the end only means it's black/dark grey. So the 1610mk2 is excactly the same table as the 1600mk2, just different color. Works the same with e.g. 1200mk2 and 1210mk2.

Also, AT440mlb is a very good cartridge worth about $200, and it works very well with the Technics arm. You probably should check the stylus for wear, but it's not so easy to do with a micro line stylus unless you have a microscope. A new stylus will be a bit pricy.

The table is at least 35 years old, so I would suggest you would clean all the parts in the automatic mechanism very carefully and relube them. There is plenty of writing on that subject matter here on Audiokarma. The Technics direct drives are mostly built like tanks, so another 35 years of reliable operation is not too far fetched as long as the table is maintained properly.

The "10" version indicates not only that it's graphite gray but also that it's a universal voltage model that can be switched internally for overseas power. That's an awesome table and it usually goes for at least three times more than your wife paid for it. Very hard to find and with the A/T 440 cartridge on there that is one screamin' deal! She done real good!!

I would pick up a replacement stylus for the 440 while they are available, even if you don't need it now.
Pick up some Technics oil and lubricate while you are at it. Remove the platter it will tell you where to put the oil.
Looks like Areobat types faster than I.

Wife went to an estate sale with some friends and came home with a Technics SL 1610mk2 turntable, I knew she was always wanting a turntable to get back to playing her vinyls, the Turntable has original box and manuals. She paid $100.00 for it. Cosmetically very clean and all the functions work. Has a AT 440MLB cartridge. Not familiar with the Technics 1610mk2 is this a different turntable than the Technics 1600mk2? I know the 1600 mk2 is silver.
Any thoughts on the Technics 1610mk2.
Good table good cartridge

The SL-1610mk2 is a serious table! Very good for $100, I'd say.

The Technics model numbering for most of their turntables works in a way that the number 10 in the end only means it's black/dark grey. So the 1610mk2 is excactly the same table as the 1600mk2, just different color. Works the same with e.g. 1200mk2 and 1210mk2.

Also, AT440mlb is a very good cartridge worth about $200, and it works very well with the Technics arm. You probably should check the stylus for wear, but it's not so easy to do with a micro line stylus unless you have a microscope. A new stylus will be a bit pricy.

The table is at least 35 years old, so I would suggest you would clean all the parts in the automatic mechanism very carefully and relube them. There is plenty of writing on that subject matter here on Audiokarma. The Technics direct drives are mostly built like tanks, so another 35 years of reliable operation is not too far fetched as long as the table is maintained properly.

Do not feel comfortable taking apart table for cleaning, anyone recommend a good shop in the Tampa/Orlando FL area?

Do not feel comfortable taking apart table for cleaning, anyone recommend a good shop in the Tampa/Orlando FL area?
3 posts in and someone is already telling you what you need to tear apart on it or go out and buy

Are all the functions currently working as they should? Have you played a record with it yet?

What you need to do is take off the rubber mat and put two or three nice sized drops of Zoom oil, or stove fan oil (Technics oil SFW010, is Anderol 465) or any good oil you have on hand
I just go for the Zoom oiler from the hardware store

Anderol's expensive but you get enough to keep about 1000 Technics oiled for what one of those little rip off ebay vials will cost you. Any good oil is fine unless you are doing a bearing service for some reason (which you don't need to start worrying about now)
I'm not recommending these people, just providing this to give you an idea, maybe you already have some?
http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.co...p/PP5400.htm?gclid=CIOHlomxy9QCFUSRfgodW74OIg

AND THEN, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, let your wife start playing and enjoying some of her records on that very fine table you scored
Don't worry about what you need to do to it until you exercise it and put some hours on it
If you do see any problems take note
There is a belt related to the tonearm that may or may not need to be changed. Going by the cartridge that your new machine came with it hasn't been to terribly long since that table was in use
My point is this: exercise the machine, take note of any issues, if any, and then if you DO want to open it up to lubricate things and change out that belt you can do everything at one time
The fewer trips inside the better
My suggestion applies even if you contract someone to do it for you
You can study up on all the things you have to worry about doing to it while she enjoys her records

Spoke with the original owner regarding the AT cartridge, she said bought from Amazon in April 2014 used it for about 15 months max and then boxed it up. Should I consider a replacement stylus and/or another cartridge?

no. cartridge should last between 1000 and 2000 hours and 15 months of use that is how may 20 minute album sides? Your math to guess at how much use the cartridge has.

Spoke with the original owner regarding the AT cartridge, she said bought from Amazon in April 2014 used it for about 15 months max and then boxed it up. Should I consider a replacement stylus and/or another cartridge?
I thought it was from and estate sale - you buy it from a ghost!? ; - )
That is a very good cartridge. Inspect the stylus with a magnifier and if you can see a nice sharp tip then you're ok I'm sure
Just keep it clean (soft brush, maybe a drop of isopropyl alcohol)
Your wife is good to go

I thought it was from and estate sale - you buy it from a ghost!? ; - )
That is a very good cartridge. Inspect the stylus with a magnifier and if you can see a nice sharp tip then you're ok I'm sure
Just keep it clean (soft brush, maybe a drop of isopropyl alcohol)
Your wife is good to go

Estate sale does not necessarily mean the person that owned the property and is selling is deceased. Family was selling due to recent divorce and relocation.

Back
Top Bottom