Technics SL-1800 MK1

Okay my preamp is a Rolls VP29. Sometimes when no record is playing it will make a popping noise. It did the same with my Audio-Technica. What preamp would you guys recommend that would mate well with my AT440MLB?

Well, they are probably both considered "vintage", but I have an Apt Holman and a Kenwood Basic C2. Both have nice phono stages for "budget" pre-amps (I paid $100 for the Kenny). MM and MC capability and adjustable cartridge loading on both units.

There are a few folks that will upgrade the APT Holman to supposedly higher performance levels.

The Kenwood has a weak point, the balance pot. Mine still works fine, but I never run anything other than straight up, so I would by-pass it if it ever went wonky...

well bad news out of no where it started buzzing not alot but considerably more

Anything in particular running (air conditioner, dishwasher, well pump, etc.) that may not have been running before?

If your ceiling fan is interfering, you probably are correct and have AC power issues. There may not be a ground hooked up, or it's a cheap fan and has a "noisy" motor.

How old is your home? Wiring issues are very common, and the older the more likely. I used to live in a century home that had one outlet per room, and no ground.

If you can't, or don't want to fix your power you can use a small UPS (uninterruptable power supply) to effectively isolate and/or clean up the power to your stereo gear, or at least your TT and pre-amp.

Back
Top Bottom