Technics SL-2000

tmccullough

You are who, who you are
Is $120 a good deal for a working, excellent condition SL-2000? I'm just getting started, so this would be the first one. I've read a lot about the SL-1200 series being really good.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Stunningly good deal for the condition you describe. Jump on it, but don't forget to check it out before opening your wallet, if possible. Try to bring an amp and speaker (along with a record) if the seller can't hook it up to anything. In other words, take your time, but HURRY!

Depends... Does seller have original box, Cart shell, and 45 adapter? What condition is the dust cover?

Can you hook it up at the sellers place to make sure it plays? First make sure that it can hold speed correctly in both 33 & 45. Then make sure the tonearm isn't bent and the cue lift works. Check the pitch control to make sure it works. Last make sure the RCA's are in good shape. If so, go for it.

Why buy something you immediately have to repair?

Err, I could have sworn I saw SL1200... Ah good ole New Years strikes again :)

Is $120 a good deal for a working, excellent condition SL-2000? I'm just getting started, so this would be the first one. I've read a lot about the SL-1200 series being really good.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Make sure it isn't an ex-DJ one that has been abused. GENTLY hold the tonearm (with cart and weight attached and move it back and forth (in and out, right and left) to feel for any looseness or "wiggle". If there is some, it may indicate "shot" bearings. Some people just tighten things up to offset this, but that isn't really a repair.

There are a lot of upgrades you can make to this model (check out "Kabusa" online), and for that price, you could afford to make some upgrades and still have good value. Even as-is, it's a very decent TT, and you'd be hard pressed to find one as good for that price.

Go check it out, now!

ok

So, would it be fair to say:

Technics SL-2000 for $120 would be better than a Kenwood KD-3070 for $60?
I've got to drive roughly the same distance to pick either up. I am sure down the line I'll want something better, but which is the TT I'll likely enjoy more and longer with a swap of cart/stylus?

I found a Nakamichi RE-2 for about $150 as well... Any good? I've read reviews elsewhere stating it was one of the better mid powered amps built.

Frankly I'm puzzled at the responses here. The SL-2000 was the first consumer line (smaller and lighter) direct drive (not quartz) and manual. This is not a heavy, pro line model like the SL-1200 and it's brethren. This would be akin to an SL-D1 or SL-D101. Would any of you pay $120 for that? :scratch2: Perfect condition, maybe $75.

The Kenwood is also a direct drive manual, but looks to be a very nice, substantial model. And I'm sure the arm is superior--that's an Acos influenced design as was used on the Pioneers of that time.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/qwaszx11/DCP_5245.jpg
I'd take that in a second for $60 over the SL-2000 even at the same price.

Wow, lot's of differing opinions. I can snag a Pioneer PL-S40 for about $25, and a set of Infinity IL10s for an additional $75. I did not see any glowing reviews about the PL-S40 (no reviews at all, in fact). It seems to be kind of in the middle. But I cannot scoff at picking up a set of speakers and the TT for $100. Of course, if it's a garbage unit, I don't want to bother.

Frankly I'm puzzled at the responses here. The SL-2000 was the first consumer line (smaller and lighter) direct drive (not quartz) and manual. This is not a heavy, pro line model like the SL-1200 and it's brethren. This would be akin to an SL-D1 or SL-D101. Would any of you pay $120 for that? :scratch2: Perfect condition, maybe $75.

The Kenwood is also a direct drive manual, but looks to be a very nice, substantial model. And I'm sure the arm is superior--that's an Acos influenced design as was used on the Pioneers of that time.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/qwaszx11/DCP_5245.jpg
I'd take that in a second for $60 over the SL-2000 even at the same price.

I have to agree. They are asking way too much for that SL-2000, $100 too much if you ask me.

God Almighty! Ok, here are things being seriously considered...

Kenwood KD3070 for about $60.
The aforementioned SL-2000, however I'd try to get the price down.
A Technics SL-1300 w/ an AT11E cartridge for about $75. The downside on this one is it's not local - I'd have to have my mother in law pick it up for me. The ad says it's in good shape. I'm waiting for some pics. Oh, and I'd have to wait until February to get it, since that's when she'll be in town next. I can be patient, though, and it gives me time to acquire everything else.

Frankly I'm puzzled at the responses here. The SL-2000 was the first consumer line (smaller and lighter) direct drive (not quartz) and manual. This is not a heavy, pro line model like the SL-1200 and it's brethren.

Ack--I misread that as an SL-1200 and based my post on that. Nice catch. You must have had your coffee (unlike me).

EDIT: Ah, I also see that the OP referenced the SL-1200 in his original post, which also must have contributed to my mistake.

Ack--I misread that as an SL-1200 and based my post on that. Nice catch. You must have had your coffee (unlike me).

EDIT: Ah, I also see that the OP referenced the SL-1200 in his original post, which also must have contributed to my mistake.

Yeah, I'm just trying to screw everyone up. Shouldn't drink so much or stay up so late!:D

I had an SL-2000, it was a very mediocre table, no where near a 1200. It had a very low torque DD motor and a very basic arm. That said it did look fairly nice and was ok for general use. I would pass for that price.

I'd say around $40 is fair for the SL-2000, if in decent shape. I have the MCS variant, the 6601 (semi-auto tho). Entirely "ok" table - I paid $20 for mine. Basic Technics arm, and I made mine sound a LOT better by replacing the stock RCA cables, and putting better feet on it.

I'd go after the SL-1300 myself.

Rob

A few months back I was listing an SL-2000 in great condition on the DC Craigslist for $50 and never did find any takers. So I suspect it isn't worth anywhere near $120!

I passed on one on CL here for $30, but I think that's about the right price. It comes with a Stanton cart, which sometimes means DJ.

Hi, $120 is high unless it is in MINT condition, that mean like new and everything works. It is a Manual TT too.

Good luck.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Back
Top Bottom