Technics SL-230 $20 dump find

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hi all,

I stopped by the recyclers this morning and they had put a dirty SL-230 for $20 NZ.

It was complete with dust cover, headshell, stylus so I took it home. So far, it needs a new belt and a new stylus but I fitted my spare OM10 for now for testing. It looks nice and cleaned up well, just waiting on the belt now :)

I had the 220 for awhile- $8 at a thrift. Minty, too.....but after 4 or so years, the anti-skate seemed to stick slightly, so I gave it to my friend, who was using a Crosley. I had a Jico equipped M97xe on it, and have a lot of nice recordings I made from it. The Technics overhang gauge is nice.

Last edited:
I would have acted on a complete turntable too for $20 - it's in my price range.

From what I've been reading, I had the idea finds like that in your part of the world are few and far between and the impression things such as turntables were fetching high prices despite condition or circumstance of discovery.

I would have acted on a complete turntable too for $20 - it's in my price range.

From what I've been reading, I had the idea finds like that in your part of the world are few and far between and the impression things such as turntables were fetching high prices despite condition or circumstance of discovery.

Yeah very true. It is surprising, given the tiny population size, how much gear there actually is but find decent stuff at the recyclers or thrift is quite rare now. I think I probably had maybe four or five turntable finds in two years from those sources. They do come up all the time on our auction site but unless the seller is unaware what they have, prices are always at a premium.

I had the 220 for awhile- $8 at a thrift. Minty, too.....but after 4 or so years, the anti-skate seemed to stick on slightly, so I gave it to my friend, who was using a Crosley. I had a jico equipped M97xe on it, and have a lot of nice recordings I made from it. The Technics overhang gauge is nice.

I've used the protractors before but is the gauge something I would need to buy ? Never really looked into it. Thanks.

Hi all,

I stopped by the recyclers this morning and they had put a dirty SL-230 for $20 NZ.

It was complete with dust cover, headshell, stylus so I took it home. So far, it needs a new belt and a new stylus but I fitted my spare OM10 for now for testing. It looks nice and cleaned up well, just waiting on the belt now :)

Nice guys at the recyclers. They probably got $20 for recycling it, then another $20 selling it to you.

Nice guys at the recyclers. They probably got $20 for recycling it, then another $20 selling it to you.

It's actually a dump shop so they will have had the turntable dropped off there for no cost. They just made $20 of me, who will then go on to make more by selling it again :) Or I may keep it, it is quite a nice looking unit.

I guess I don't understand what a dump shop is. We have a dump (via the garbage) or all material recycling (not electronics). Here, we pay a fee for disposal of electronics (TVs, stereos, etc.).

I guess I don't understand what a dump shop is. We have a dump (via the garbage) or all material recycling (not electronics). Here, we pay a fee for disposal of electronics (TVs, stereos, etc.).

Well its a free version of the latter. We can drop off all kinds of stuff including electronics for free at the town dump and then anything that is fairly intact gets put into a shop and sold back out to the community. Anything completely trashed goes in a bin for recycling.

I guess that's why there's so many kerb finds in the US then - a way to avoid paying recycling fees ? And convenience of course. Here we would get a ticket for littering if we put stereo gear out on the street :)

Electronics recycling places are not everywhere. Here the county just opened a recycling center. The fee is a fixed fee per pound of weight. Otherwise it was only once or twice a year. It is illegal to dump the televisions at the curb.

In my county, they charge by what labor may be required to disassemble the electronics, so things are divided up into categories like TVs, HIFi, appliances, stuff like that. For electronics, they tear everything apart except for circuit boards and sort stuff by material make-up. Fasteners in one barrel, plastics in another barrel and so on. I have found out that most circuit boards are sent to (another country), where kids un-solder and separate.

This TT had now found a new owner, a local guy of a similar age to me who is 'rediscovering' records :) It made me a very tidy profit too !

That's a nice Technics belt drive. They are usually underrated. My favorite Technics belt drive is the SL-23.

Back
Top Bottom