Technics SL-3200 TT - worth $150?

radiotvnut

This person, who I'm doing some repair work for, has a Technics direct drive semi-automatic model SL-3200 turntable from the late '70's. He said he paid around $180 for it when it was new. He expressed interest in selling it and when I asked how much, he said, "the internet says it's worth $150". My reply was, "You can't always go by what you see on the internet". I followed that up with, "Something's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it". Seriously, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying more because I'm sick and tired of these people who think the internet is the ultimate price guide. It seems like they always see the most insane ASKING price for an item and, all of a sudden, their junk becomes valuable.

So, are we in agreement that $150 is nuts for this model or am I being too cheap? From what I've seen, the only Technics TT's that are worth this much, or more, are the SL-1200 DJ turntables and the SP series broadcast turntables.

I followed that up with, "Something's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it". Seriously, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying more because I'm sick and tired of these people who think

hate to interrupt your rant with facts, but if you look on ebay completed you'll see one sold for 110 with (the price i see anyway) 31 shipping, putting it damn near 150 total investment for some person. its only worth what someone is willing to pay, and people are willing to pay 150.

sorry, but.. you walked right into that one I couldnt resist it.

you guys are steep:yikes:. If i had bought one, it be for like 8 dollars!:D

runs and ducks for cover...are they gone yet?!:tresbon:

Paid $10 for mine...complete w/fresh M91ED. That being said...if it's r e a l l y nice with a good cart & stylus it might be worth $100. I said MIGHT. $50 or so is more like it in my book.

hate to interrupt your rant with facts, but if you look on ebay completed you'll see one sold for 110 with (the price i see anyway) 31 shipping, putting it damn near 150 total investment for some person. its only worth what someone is willing to pay, and people are willing to pay 150.

Interesting. But there are FOUR of these on the completed list. ONE sold for 110.00 and it came with the box and extras. Did you notice the others? 29.00, 76.00 and 82.00. Hardly qualifies this one to be in the 150.00 range. JMHO of course:thmbsp:

I have an SL-3200 that was given to me several years ago. Performancewise, it's okay, but nowhere close to my SL-D3; $150 is way too much. Decent tables show up in the thifts frequently nowadays for $10 to $20. That's where I would look first.

Interesting. But there are FOUR of these on the completed list. ONE sold for 110.00 and it came with the box and extras. Did you notice the others? 29.00, 76.00 and 82.00. Hardly qualifies this one to be in the 150.00 range. JMHO of course:thmbsp:

yeah i tend to agree but i wanted to argue just a little bit:)

im kind of surprised someone paid that much for one too, ive owned one before and its actually not bad. maybe 100 if im hurtin for a table i'd buy one again.

This person, who I'm doing some repair work for, has a Technics direct drive semi-automatic model SL-3200 turntable from the late '70's. He said he paid around $180 for it when it was new. He expressed interest in selling it and when I asked how much, he said, "the internet says it's worth $150". My reply was, "You can't always go by what you see on the internet". I followed that up with, "Something's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it". Seriously, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying more because I'm sick and tired of these people who think the internet is the ultimate price guide. It seems like they always see the most insane ASKING price for an item and, all of a sudden, their junk becomes valuable.

So, are we in agreement that $150 is nuts for this model or am I being too cheap? From what I've seen, the only Technics TT's that are worth this much, or more, are the SL-1200 DJ turntables and the SP series broadcast turntables.

Truth be told, there are many Technics tables besides those mentioned that are worth well over $150.

There are always anomalies, especially with ebay n00bs and emotionally engaged buyers. $110 for a TT with below average specs and features is an anomaly. I don't know the lineage, but the Grado cart on that one, even at the low end, is probably worth more than the table.

yeah i tend to agree but i wanted to argue just a little bit:)

im kind of surprised someone paid that much for one too, ive owned one before and its actually not bad. maybe 100 if im hurtin for a table i'd buy one again.

Arguing is always fun ;) There are quite a few lower end tables that sound pretty nice. I have an SL-220 thats belt drive and mostly plastic. Not a bad sounding table, but I have seen the asking price on some at over 100.00. No way is it worth that.

Back
Top Bottom