Technics SL-D2 Rebuild

Mike Sweeney

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I have had this turntable for some years now. I bought it off eBay years ago to rip some albums for my Dad to MP3s. Then it sat in the garage packed away until I got a hankering for a Marantz again :) I got it out when I rebuild my first Marantz. Its been fine ( OK.. mostly fine) up to a few months back when it started to distort highs and not maintain an accurate speed.

So I took apart and recapped it plus the normal washing of the pots with DeOxit and lubing stuff. I took advantage of this to swap most of the electrolytic caps with Wilma film caps. The old caps tested high but the worst was they all failed a leak test. So even though the digital tester said "meh".. the leak test showed they were junk, no real surprise there.

The cartridge I had in it went into a KD-2070 I just redid so I took the cartridge out of the KD and refurbished it for the Technics. I'm not thrilled with the head shell but it's working pretty good ( AT-11) with a new stylus.
If I decide to be very mean to myself, I'll pull the head/arm assembly apart so I have a queueing stick again. Mine is broken and I have a donor unit but man it looks to be a chore to take it all apart just for that.
But it plays really well now :)

IMG_6440.jpg IMG_6562.jpg IMG_6563.JPG IMG_6564.jpg IMG_6577.jpg IMG_6581.jpg IMG_6582.jpg

Looking good! If just to assuage my fears, I'd love to one day get my Technics SL1400mk2 recapped.

So, she's singing sweetly now??

Back
Top Bottom