Technics SL D2 speed issue solution

tudorstanila

My Technics SL D2 has the speed issue that is typical for the model, where, it can't hold speed stable. There aren't sudden changes in speed, rather the dots slowly start to drift in one direction, slowly stop, slowly start again in the other direction, and so on. They don't move very fast in either direction, so I don't really notice the speed change in the music (only happened once or twice to have sudden changes that I noticed).

So today I decided to open it up and locate the speed pots and all of those, till I get my hands on a can of DeOxit. I followed the guide found online (thrift store turntable something), but I could not find anything that resembled the pots found in the photos (demonstration made on a SL 1300). The place where the speed switch and pitch control "enter" the body of the tt is covered by the main board (I guess that's the main board). From what I saw, taking it off would be kinda tricky. I was wondering if anyone here has done it on a SL D2, and if so, could give me some information.

Hi, the pot is located at the edge of the PCB and it is an open track type, so access is possible with the small hose of the Deoxit can, once you have removed the bottom cover. I had to do it on mine once, it was not extremely easy but I was definitely able to find an access to the track/wiper of the pot, just enough to squirt a small amount of cleaner on it. Remember to give the knob a dozen of full rotations and back, to spread the Deoxit and force the dirt off the wiper. Sometimes you have to repeat the process a couple of times.

No, it's on the edge of the PCB, just where the pitch adjustment is located. The innards of the pot are accessible from the side. I don't think I saw a hole there. The switch is next to it, you may want to give it a squirt from the side too, if it's the open frame type (can't remember), but it won't help with the pitch potentiometer.

Maybe you can find "Kontakt 60" in Europe. That's what I use :yes:

Attachments

• 813516_BB_00_FB.EPS_400.jpg
    813516_BB_00_FB.EPS_400.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 10
If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the electrolytic caps on the board. They aren't but $6 or so.
I've had to do it on four Technics tables in recent years.

I had the same trouble with my Hitachi table.There was one pot each for 45 and 33 deoxed and turned them several times,I also recapped the board.About 12 caps on this guy and maybe an hours work,cost about 6 dollars.Holds a steady speed now.

Well, then I can just hope that using deoxit on the pots will solve it, since I don't see myself soldering stuff. But I still have faith, since sometimes, the tt holds the speed stable (happened today for an entire LP). It's kinda moody. Sometimes it holds it, sometimes it slowly fluctuates a bit than stabilizes.

The cap values will vary from model to model. You will have to open 'er up and look at the board yourself. But Tube Depot or Parts Express are good suppliers.

These are the caps listed for the SL-D2 technics TT. There seems to be a lot of electrolytics that would have to be replaced

upload_2019-1-11_16-19-8.png

If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the electrolytic caps on the board. They aren't but $6 or so.
I've had to do it on four Technics tables in recent years.

Can bad electrolytic caps cause 'predictable' speed changes in the SL-D2? meaning that when the TT warms up it loses speed control.
I cleaned/lubricated all of the pots/switches and my TT will only lock speed for the first 20 minutes or so and then it loses it. What could be causing this?

Back
Top Bottom