Technics SL-D20 Static/Possible Grounding Issue - Please Help!

Airjmax

I have a Technics SL-D20 table in excellent condition and working order, with the exception of one problem. I can play 2-3 album sides with no issues, and soon after, a noticeable "buzz" comes through. If I touch the platter, the buzz will respond. I have a ground wire connected properly, and it does it on every receiver I own. I don't have buzzing / grounding problems with any other tables, so I don't suspect the house wiring to be the culprit. If I don't use the table for a few days, the buzz "resets" and I can play a few sides again before the buzz starts up again. I took off the bottom of the table, and the spot where the ground wire comes in looks perfectly fine - the wire is making a clean connection, and the wire it touches is definitely grounded to metal with no corrosion. I know someone can help, so thanks in advance!

Try cleaning the contacts where the cartridge plugs into the tonearm. Also clean all contacts on the RCA connectors.

Try cleaning the contacts where the cartridge plugs into the tonearm. Also clean all contacts on the RCA connectors.
Thanks, I'll do that. Things I have tried so far:
- Different receiver
- Different outlet
- Spinning the plug 180 degrees
- Different cartridges (3)
- Three prong plug adapter
- Different/better RCA cables
- Different house wiring (connected it at a friend's house)
I'm almost ready to give up on the thing. I like the table, and it sounds nice without the buzzing, plus the cosmetic condition is excellent, but I wont use it if it keeps buzzing. I don't think this is "hum" like I've read about, clearly more of a buzzing noise.

Thanks for the reply @Decibel_116 . I'll let you know if cleaning the contacts fixes the problem.

Is there a way for your to record an example and post it? The only other thing I can think of is the motor or spindle needing some lubrication.

I'm not sure if this was the cure, but the noise is gone after doing what you recommended! I've played several records, and so far the buzzing hasn't returned. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom