Technics SL-D202 refurb project

NEXT
Researching new mats. I have a Vibro-Stop mat on order. I hope it will fit (287mm). If not, I'm sure it will fit one of my other turntables. Feedback on it was mostly good. Has anyone tried one and did they use it directly on top of the metal platter or on top of the rubber mat; the latter seems more reasonable, but their Vibro-Stop website says to try both and see which gives the best sound. We'll see, I know it sounded a bit gimmicky, but it wasn't very expensive ($34) and it's something new to try and write about.
I used this mat on my SL-1200; actually two of them to approximate the thickness of the thick Technics mat. I eventually went to the KAB poly-metal mat with a thin Technics mat, but have been considering using the Vibro-Stop mat (one of them) on top of the KAB mat, just haven't gotten around to it. I liked the Vibro-Stop mats, but when KAB came out with their metal mat I had to try that and that is my current mat.

Just on the polished aluminum edge area (that 1/4" border that shows once you put the mat on). After 30 years it can get a bit dingy looking. I didn't touch the black pained top or the checkered sides. Braso with a micro-fiber cloth.

I had one troublesome dark area that just wouldn't go away and I tried of all things the "Magic Eraser" with a little Braso and water... just on that one tiny spot and I was surprised that it didn't damage it either. I don't recommend the Magic Eraser in general, but as this was my backup platter I really didn't care.

That's interesting. I have some Brasso but haven't tried it. I've tried a magic eraser on it (with water), which didn't hurt it, but also didn't seem to clean it. I'm gonna try some Brasso on one of my platters. I know there's a guy on youtube who recommends it (a British guy).

I wonder if it would damage the black painted areas of the platter. Gonna find out, because I have some platters with some strobe dots that have a bit of corrosion.

Very nice work! Not a lot of folks have thought about upgrading this model. Glad to hear you got good results.

How's the cue descent speed on yours?

The cue descent speed is maybe ok, but I've wondered if it's a little too hard and fast. I've purchased some dampening fluid, but I've never tried replacing it. With everything working I might keep it as is until it becomes more of a problem.

Sorta new to AK. I know this an older thread, but I just found one of these TT's: Technics SL- D202. It needs a stylus, perhaps a new cartridge. Is there one that any of you would recommend? I see the one ordered initially in the refurb job: Grado Green1 Prestige Series Phono Cartridges - Standard Mount ($95.00 Needle Doctor) and some mention of others being tested, which did you wind up going with? I intend to do some of the upgrades discussed here. To start, clean it, oil the bearing, and put new feet on. All of which after reading about here seem most important to start. As I've never used Deoxit, how/where should this be sprayed and not sprayed? Thanks in advance if anyone is still watching this thread. :music:

Back
Top Bottom