Technics SL-J33 inoperative linear TT

Mrv8q

Audiofool
Picked up this TT for cheap, great condition with remote. All lights seem to work, but just makes a obvious
humming sound when turned on. No movement on linear arm

Got the service manual and owner’s manual, before I go in, any BTDTs?

Thx!

1st guess after reading the SM but before opening it up, the belt has stopped belting.

Turntable with a remote, how futuristic!

They are neat little tables, it should be an easy fix. Clean out the old grease with rubbing alcohol and regrease with silicone lube while you're in there.

Almost certainly a belt issue. An o-ring might work or even an elastic band as a temporary fix. Most of these linears use a similar arm drive system. Going from memory, it's about 35mm x 2 and square ideally.

But clean and lube the carriage track as mentioned too.

Last edited:
Thx, Monty, definitely the belt. Thanks to another post here on AK, a belt is on order.

I was able to coax the arm system back to its rest stop. With a little pressure on the belt, it traveled across
and counted the tracks, returned home, platter spun up and started to play. Yay!

New belt and we’ll see how it sounds. Doesn’t look as though the remote was ever used.

To be continued...

Belt did the trick, as Montycat suggested.

The TT did not work correctly until the plastic shroud/top cover was put back in place.

Then all lights and buttons worked correctly; track counter, track skip, what a neat little machine!

BTW, no remote with this TT, looks like is is for a similar era CD player, matching plastic color, though,
and the TT matches my SU-G91 integrated.

Back
Top Bottom