Technics SL-P 10 CD Player

michael

I'm told this was their first but a friend disagrees, saying the SL-P 15 was earlier, with more features. Regardless, this (10) will not play but an almost flawless CD, i.e., any surface marks, imperfections, etc. will cause it to skip or just jump to another track at random; otherwise, everything's fine. Suggestions or just live with it?
Thanks!

I have a very early MCS Series A 6801 which has a corresponding Technics design but I do not know which model it corresponds to. This model includes pitch control, programmability, a VFD display, repeat, headphone w/ volume control etc. This unit was built in July 84. Mine will track even the most terribly flawed CDRs overburned to 80+ minutes with ease. Mine saw very little use and was stored somewhere free of dust (circuit boards are clean as a whistle), I would try cleaning the lens first and foremost and just hope the laser itself is not going. The transport design overall seems well built, lots of metal even in the tray itself. Technics did a nice job on these IMHO. Much better built than my circa 1985 Akai CD-A7 (though that unit works fine too). Very good sounding even for their age at this point, detailed and clean. I purchased a Soundesign (gag!) 5050BLK yesterday under the mere curiosity of who made it (made in Japan) which has a most unusual remotely driven laser pickup assembly, circuit board is very nice and looks like a Toshiba but if that odd drive mechanism still works I wouldnt give up hope on the Technics yet. Try cleaning the lens though, I had a more modern Sharp unit that had the worst time reading CDs of any sort if you did not keep the lens completely spot free, the slightest bit of lint would make it go nuts. The real test I think is those older blue CompUSA 80 minute CDRs I have. If the player can read those then its still doing its job. Ironically the Akai likes these better than the silver Sony CDRs.

I remember reading a review of the SL-P10 when it came out in Audio magazine. The reviewer mentioned that it often muted and didn't always track the disk properly. He attributed to the quality of the disks being produced at the time strangely enough. It *was* Technics first player and perhaps was rushed to market. Another quote I remember from the review was something about "shoving this 40 lb beast under the dash of (his) car" since they promised car CD players would follow. He couldn't imagine that the technology would ever be simplified/miniaturized/more advanced than what was in front of him.

HA1156W

PS: Lemme know if that SL-P10 ever comes up for sale....I've been trying to find one forever!

A few of these early Technics devices have floated into the area lately, didnt see an SL-P10s around though. Of all the early CD players I have had, including the Technics built MCS 6801 the only CD player I have ever had a tracking problem with is the Akai CD-A7, and that is only with burned CDs, works fine on even the worst of the pressed CDs I have tried. My MCS will track even a blue CompUSA 80 minute CDR from several years ago which are among the worst, some modern equipment does not read them not bad for a 1984 unit, approaching 20 years old who would have thought that would happen! They sure don't build them like that anymore, I love the sound the early Technics built stuff makes when reading a CD. A lot of the vintage players made unique sounds. If I ever see an old Technics I will let you know.

Back
Top Bottom