Technics SL-Q2

Hasdrubal

I've seen a Technics SL-Q2 (with no cartridge) selling for CAN $40 at the unfriendly neighbourhood pawnshop, and I was thinking of buying it. Where could I get a cartridge that would fit?

I presume that the SL-Q2 has no pre-amp - is this correct? I mean, it has red and white outputs that look as if they would fit into AUX plugs, but that doesn't mean anything. Will any pre-amp around do?

Hasdrubal
helfgott AT dms POINT umontreal POINT ca

IIRC, the plinth on the SL-Q2 is cast aluminum rather than plastic, which makes it one of Technics' fancier efforts. Still, C$40 seems a bit much for one, especially with no cart. If your amp doesn't have a 'phono' input, I'm not sure what would be required; I don't believe the TT's output (which, as you suspect, is straight off the cartridge) is enough to drive the 'aux' input, though.

You'd be right about the SL-Q2 not having a preamp, and Porlock is right about the Aux input not having the stuff to drive your 'table. But you can get outboard preamps pretty easily from plenty of online sources, like garage-a-records or needledoctor. Check around. You can get your cartridge and preamp from the same place, usually.

I think mine's right nice. It is indeed better built than the SL-B2 or SL-D2 of the same era. http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35017&highlight=technics
attachment.php

I found mine at the dump, with a cartridge ;-) But, I would think it's worth $40 CDN in good working order. Cartridge is easy, any reasonably-priced standard mount will do. Choose an AT, Grado, or Shure (name your price point). The Shure M97e is awfully nice but not cheap. There are still cheap AT's to be had (though I am not a big fan). A Grado Black would sound nice for not too much money. Yes you will need a phono preamp. There are many options, at many price points. The little Hagerman Bugle "semi-kit" is well worthy of consideration if you can solder :) http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html#bugle

bugle.jpg

I am a proud and happy owner of a SL Q2, which I bought on eBay a year ago. It has been regarded as one of the best Technics turntables and is known for its rock steady quartz locked rotation. It is one of the heavy aluminum ones with a very heavy platter and is quite well built. It is well worth $40 Canadian (I'm in Canada) and usually sells for more on eBay. It requires a phono input or preamp. It is often recommended NOT to use a Grado cartridge, since they are not shielded and can be affected by the motor of a direct drive table as it comes near the magnet in the middle of the platter, cusing a hum. I like mine so much that I bought another one for my son.

Hasdrubal, $40CDN is a really good price for it. A local shop has lower model Technics and others all at $100 to $150.

lplover,
Nice to read that you stuck with with the Technics and didn't fall into the endless upgrade path. Most of the belt-vs-direct drive arguements are pointless and much of it is based on beliefs rather than facts. Many DD are fine turntables, and many BD are fine turntables. And many of both types are pure junk!

I know that some people sneer at Direct Drive in general and Technics in particular, but mine is not only good looking in an "industrial" sort of way, but it is better than my old belt drives and sounds wonderful. I have been told online, especially on Asylum, that it is "starter" or mediocre table and that I should move up. Frankly, it's better than any table I have ever owned and it would have cost $250-$300 Cdn when it was new. I have an Audio catalogue from that year, so I know. I could not have afforded it then. In today's dollars, that would easily be double. It is durable and reliable and I would rather buy more vinyl than spend money upgrading tables, especially because the difference would not mean much to me. It came with a Shure M97HE cartridge and stylus, which were just below the V15 and the second best cart that Shure sold. I replaced the stylus with the N97ED (the HE being unavailable) and it makes my old vinyl sound better than my CDs.

Back
Top Bottom