Technics SL1210MK3D Hum

Cyrus_563

I finally set up my Technics SL1210.
I am running a Vincent Pho-8 and an Ortofon Quintet Red and an Ortofon SH-4 headshell
On the first play, I thought it sounded good until I lifted the needle and I could her this almighty hum.

I isolated all of the cables - no difference.
The hum only disappeared when:

1: I unplugged the power from the TT
2: I unplugged the RCA's from the TT to the Pho-8
3: I removed the headshell/cartridge
4: I unplugged the wires from the cartridge to the headshell - the hum went but there was a hiss.

The TTs have been modified with external Power Supplies.

The other weird thing I noticed as I was tinkering, was that when I set the Pho-8 to MM, just touching the RCA cables from the TT, I could hear every bump and crunch on the cables thought the speakers.

Also, there is no groundwork coming out the other TT I am assuming it is internally grounded somewhere?

Any advice?

Thanks!

I took the turntables back to the guy and he is re-installing the ground wire and new RCAs. Let's hope this makes a difference.
Trying to get some Cardas tonearm wire too so he can do that whilst he has them open.

I took the turntables back to the guy and he is re-installing the ground wire and new RCAs. Let's hope this makes a difference.
Trying to get some Cardas tonearm wire too so he can do that whilst he has them open.

Yes, Grounding issue IMO.

Groundless conversions for those are easy to do. I did my 1200 m3d and all the 1200 mkII's at the radio station for $37 each including far better RCA leads. No regrets.

Back
Top Bottom