Technics SL1900

BroonsBane

raisn em up waxin em down
Can anyone tell me where the Technics SL1900 falls in the Technics DD pecking order? Is it a decent table? Strengths/weaknesses?

I'm not sure but I have a SL-1700 MK II and it's sweet. The 1600/1700/1800 were all similar but I don't think the 1900 is part of that lineup. Did you get one?

Here's a link.

Thanks for the link. I haven't got one but may have a line on one, still waiting to see what they want for it. A friend of mine has the 1700, it's a nice table.

Unless you have a need for it I'd wait for a 1600/1700/1800 MK II to come your way. They are in order automatic/semi/manual and don't give up much to the 1200 MK II.

It's a bit on the lower end of Technics 70's DD turntables. The arm looks alot like the ones on the SL-23 and SL-20 belt drives from that era. It's an attractive table but I don't believe its as high quality as the 1200-1700's (MKII or otherwise)

Whoops, 2 replies came in while I typed.

Thanks for the info guys. Based on this I'll pass, it would be a second system table but I'd like to do a little better with the TT for it.

Thanks for the info guys. Based on this I'll pass, it would be a second system table but I'd like to do a little better with the TT for it.
Excellent decision. Be patient and you might find a 1600/1700/1800 MK II for $100. Or maybe one of those nice Yamaha TT's. :thmbsp:

I had a SL-1600 and it was pretty nice. But my favorite is the SL-1350. It's a bit unusual in that you can stack records. Which I don't do. But it's kinda cool.

technicsSL1350_side.jpg

Don't Settle If You Want a Technics

They've been making turntables like the 1200 since the mid-1970s. There is a used market out there for them and occasionally you can get one of the higher end SL-XX00 tables at a reasonable price. I scanned (local) eBay auctions/BINs and CLs for a few months and a Technics 1200 Mk2 came up on Boston CL for $50 with no major issues and cheaper than a lot of the lower range Technics SL-XX00 tables that had been advertised locally. That left me enough to take it to a local stereo shop that understands turntables and have it mounted with a very nice cartridge and have the alignment issues squared away. Thing floors me now on a regular basis.

Can anyone tell me where the Technics SL1900 falls in the Technics DD pecking order? Is it a decent table? Strengths/weaknesses?

A near mint PX-3 went for $355 on da bay last week, there is a YP-d8 still running there I think. The Sl-1900 was a stacking automatic by means of a tall center spindle, note the height of the cover in any pictures. As a consequence I imagine there is a lot of levers and gears under the plinth.

Look for an SL-1600 Mk2, especially if the auction says it won't spin. Unless there is a record on the platter it won't spin. I even had mine (since sold) refuse to spin up with one of those 70s translucent colored LPs on the platter.

A near mint PX-3 went for $355 on da bay last week, there is a YP-d8 still running there I think. The Sl-1900 was a stacking automatic by means of a tall center spindle, note the height of the cover in any pictures. As a consequence I imagine there is a lot of levers and gears under the plinth.

Look for an SL-1600 Mk2, especially if the auction says it won't spin. Unless there is a record on the platter it won't spin. I even had mine (since sold) refuse to spin up with one of those 70s translucent colored LPs on the platter.
Rob, I believe you're thinking of the SL-1950. The "50" part of the model number indicates that it's a changer.

Also, the SL-1600MK2 is a definite sleeper. Essentially the same as a 1200MK2 except it's automatic. Usually when it doesn't spin it's because the cueing/automation belt is broken, but that's an easy 50 cent fix.

I recall fixing an SL-1600 for a co worker (back when I was still working) and the belt was still available, bit more than 50 cents as near as I recall.

So where does the 1900 fit, sounds like the 1300 and 1350 mates/

I recall fixing an SL-1600 for a co worker (back when I was still working) and the belt was still available, bit more than 50 cents as near as I recall.

So where does the 1900 fit, sounds like the 1300 and 1350 mates/

The belt is essentially a 1/16 x 1-1/4" "o" ring, the generic of which is available at any hardware store.

Think of Technics model lines as being two-tiered--sort of like the pro line and the consumer line. In 1977 you had the 13, 14 and 1500MK2 and the introduction of the next generation, 16, 17 and 1800 (the lines overlapped) as the upper tier DD models. The lower tier DD were the 1900, 1950 and 2000.

I wish! If you look for a 1600/1700/1800 make sure they are the MK II. There's a pretty big difference between the MK II and non MK II's.

Well, this 1900 just sort of fell in my lap, I wasn't really actively seeking one but another table in the house wouldn't hurt. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for a MKII though...short of finding my dream Yammie that is :)

It was not a stacker, I bought mine new.

Back
Top Bottom