technics slb202 - decent or not

bachplayer

spinner of wax
Hitting several estate sales today, I stumbled across a used technics slb202 TT in very good working order. It seems to just need a new cartridge (or just a needle). Dust cover dusty but not in bad shape. Motor seems fine.

Paid $5. I have 4 working platters already, but it was impossible to pass up at that price.

Any informed opinions on this model?

Thanks!

That was the first turntable I ever owned. I was a young teenager back then, won't get into that now. Anyway, it's a decent starter TT, nothing fancy. $5.00 is a great price for it. Enjoy it.

I've got a SL-B205 (same table with an extra light in the back left corner) that I got at a thrift for $5. Turned out to have a shot motor, so I never got to use it. Its been raided for some parts for some other AKers (spindle + bearing + auto return linkages, and the tonearm rest) but if you need something else from it let me know -- Foe

Like JN said...it's a decent starter table. It's quiet, steady, and it has a pretty good tonearm. It's far from audiophile quality but it's also far from being junk. $5 is a great price for one in good shape.

It would be interesting to see your ideas on the Technics after you have time to get it cleaned and setup and can compare it to your other tables.

For reference, here are the other working tables I own.

Yamaha YP 211
Sony PS-X45

These are the TTs that need service to some degree or another:

Technics SL220
Dual 1219
Fisher MT6420
Sansui P-D11

Admittedly, none of these non working tables are audiophile quality, but I never can muster the energy to toss them out. If I could find a table tech to swap or barter with, maybe I could workk something out. I am leaning towards getting the Dual up and running again. It is very clean otherwise, but it needs a part or two.

The Technics in question is about equal to the Yamaha 211 and inferior to the Sony. IMHO.

Also IMHO, the DUAL 1219 is audiophile quality if properly repaired and setup. The senior DUALs from that era are very very good machines.

Back
Top Bottom