Technics ST-S8 reception question.

gogofast

Addicted Member
i used my pioneer tuner for years with great satisfaction until i got my Technics ST-S8 - what a difference! only problem is that it has rather weak reception. whenever it's raining or cloudy, stations with weak signals will give me lots of statics. it's worse than some of my receivers. is there a way to fix this? thanks.

Sounds like it needs service which means you have to find someone with a service manual and is willing to work on it. The slim line tuners from the 80s often perform well, just hope it does not need any specific ICs or other unique parts as the big companies tend to not go past 7 years in service support. Try finding a remote control for a five year old model TV. Almost impossible.

Ron-C

how do you service a tuner? calibrate and etc?
is servicing tuner something i can do once i have the service manual? if it doesn't work out, i have a better idea. i 'll sell it on ebay saying: "sold as is. not tested because there are no radio stations near where i live".

To service this type of tuner you need a full alignment set, a knowledge of digital pulse designs, etc. Your tuner tech needs to be a top notch RF and digital guy to work on one of these.
As far as the Epay option that is cold but true! ha.

Thanks,
Ron-C

You might want to look at all of the connections for the antenna. I have seen old antennas that need to have the pivot points where the antenna folds cleaned up as they are oxidized. The point of cable connection at the antenna is another trouble spot. I would just clean everything with deoxit and I bet it will work much better.

thanks,
Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom