Technics ST-Z400 Tuner

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by stushug, Aug 28, 2017.

1. stushug

stushug AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi guys,
    I recently picked up a Technics ST-Z400 tuner. It powers on and receives stations well on FM and AM but I don't think it's getting any FM stereo. Neither the stereo nor the Quartz lock light ever come on. They are both leds and I don't think either one of them are burnt out. Any ideas? I don't have an owner's or service manual for reference so I'm kind of stuck. Thanks!

2. sinewaver

sinewaver Active Member

I've been using one of those in my garage for many years. While it does work rather well, I'd not spend too much time or money on it if it were to fail. They were part of an inexpensive rack system. I have the integrated amp that was a part of that too. Maybe start by checking the front panel switch and cleaning it. (mono-stereo) The slider volume control of the amp needed cleaning but has worked well too.

3. stushug

Yeah, I won't spend much, if anything. I already cleaned that switch with no improvement.

4. Punker X

Punker X AK Subscriber Subscriber

More than likely an alignment issue. Discriminator zero, would be the likely culprit. If it not zero, it will never quartz lock, it will only work in Mono and stereo will probably be muted.

Found an add for a sold manual, looks like the tuner was part of an 80's BPC stack..

5. Punker X

Punker X AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. stushug

I downloaded the manual, thanks!