Technics SU-8080 in the house !!

Cogsinister

Thanks to my good friend and fellow AK'er Madtech we bagged some nice gear the other night from a local ad.....

My part of the haul was a lovely Technics SU-8080 from 1977 !!

Lots of dust inside and all the controls needed a through deoxiting ......now sounds fantastic !!

5207401908_08e1b401fe_b.jpg

5207401158_554ca64c83_b.jpg

5206803463_fbd3ea8867_b.jpg

5207400530_4887297c97_b.jpg

Grand daughter Anya helping Grampie.......dont worry, it was unplugged.....note her odd socks ......

Oh i also have the matching TU-8080 tuner......pics of that to follow in the tuner forum another day......

Last edited:
Congratulations! I have one of those as well, heavier and more sturdily built than many later Technics products.

Congratulations! I have one of those as well, heavier and more sturdily built than many later Technics products.

I was thinking i was going to have problems with the volume control, but after re-fitting the front panel and tightening all the nuts the volume pot is back to normal........

Congrats! The amp has a big soundstage.

And if you ever get a chance at the matching ST-8080 tuner, I would highly recommend that as well.

I have one. Completely recapped, and is my nightly driver. I have to get back in there as the relay that I forgot to replace is acting up.
One of Panasonic's better efforts in straight amp design IMO.
I like to think of the color of the Technics brown as UPS brown.

Very very nice - thanks for the nudies and front pic - I very nearly bought one new, because I liked the spec's, reviews and the 'look' so much. If I saw one now, I am sure I would grab it.

Congratulations.

Very very nice - thanks for the nudies and front pic - I very nearly bought one new, because I liked the spec's, reviews and the 'look' so much. If I saw one now, I am sure I would grab it.

Congratulations.

I well remember when this was new.....1977.....i was a snotty teenager in Manchester hanging round Virgin records on Swan st and meeting the likes of the Buzzcocks in there.......i coulden't have afforded the volume knob off the front of the amp in those days !!

This is what i love about collecting and restoring this stuff......its the stuff i always wanted as a kid.....but could never afford.......now i can.....and i love it !!!!

I hauled her into the main room.......

5223386017_32437a5ace_b.jpg

Being fed as a power amp from my Akai pre amp for now.....easy to set up....

More to follow......

I have the matching ST8080 tuner, and its a great-sounding beastie. The amp must be great.

Attachments

• Technics ST-8080 tuner $50 - 01.jpg
    Technics ST-8080 tuner $50 - 01.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom