Technics SU-8600 : To Recap or Not?

AcidRephlux

I have a Technics SU-8600 that I love the heck out of, and a few weeks ago while it was on (but not playing anything) I heard a very loud pop, followed by several more, out of the speakers. It seems to do this on any input, so I suspect I've had a capacitor / capacitors give out.

My go-to vintage audio shop will do a complete cleaning + rebuild of all the capacitors but it will run around $400-500..

I love the thing. It's built like a tank, and has lasted 40 years so far. Is it worth recapping to potentially last another 40?

Or should I give up on it and use that cash for another one, or something similar?

always YES. the fact that it survived 40 years tells you spades about the design, manufacturing, and reliability.

complete generalization: these amps are about 100 caps, many are non-electrolytic so they stay in),
and there's about 50-60 to be replaced - wait for the audiopile to say his Sansui has 67...

so with the exception of the power supply caps, these are cheap even if you use the "legendary",
the "storied", the "mystical", the "holy-grail numbers matching" (oops this is for serial number one TransAm)
the total is about $40. the PSU caps are more.

the point is that 400-800 is not unreasonable because of the labor, the pre-test, the post-test, and any
unpacking/packing time used to return the unit. at 40-75 per hour.

your opportunity costs is some newer model at 799? and will it last til 2057 (40 years)?

and the bottom line is to support those who keep these going in the hopes that they will do so
for later models. otherwise, you return it to the factory for the only possible repairs, and some
will say "no longer supported"

sometimes it's not the money but the enjoyment spread out over decades to allow you to

"enjoy the music"

Back
Top Bottom