Technics SU-A900 Amp Troubleshooting - Cutting Out / Stuttering

archiebald

Hi, just found this site and its my first post.

I have a question that I would like to ask.

I've had this Technics amp since new (1994) although it hasn't had a huge amount of use. I love it but it has started playing up in the last few months. I have some basic electronics knowledge, but no experience of this type of troubleshooting.

From power on, everything is fine - but then after anything from 10 minutes to 3 or 4 hours it starts cutting out. On the front panel, all the LED'S except the power supply go off - at the same time the power supply lamp flickers a little but never goes off. It is obvious that relays are switching off/on at the same time.

It sort of looks like it is going into protected mode, but then it resets itself coming back on almost immediately then repeats this randomly for a few seconds or minutes. According to the manual, once it goes to protected mode, it will stay there until the power is reset so I don't think this is really the case.

Sometimes, it will clear itself completely and work flawlessly for hours, other times it will keep stuttering until I power off then on again. This usually clears it for another 20 to 30 minutes.

I have tried different speaker cable and different speakers, in case there was anything triggering the protect mode.

It does this at more or less any volume setting, even playing very quiet background music.

Another symptom is that when I press one of the input buttons or speaker output (A or B) buttons, it sometimes skips to an incorrect setting. Seems as if the contacts are dirty and it is giving corrupted signals to the processor.

Sound quality is still superb, no signs of humming or buzzing even at ridiculous volume settings.

I have managed to find the schematics for the SU-A900 Mk2 which I think is almost identical in layout (just some different components). I have a suitable multimeter.

I am willing to start diving in with a soldering iron and replacing parts but would appreciate any pointers or simple tests that I can do.

Update....

Well, no feedback so I decided to open her up and go for it.

Took the top cover off - nothing obvious, internally it is very clean considering its age.

Powered it up and had a tap around all the relays and nothing would induce the stuttering - but it did do it a few times of its own accord. Tried reconnecting the speakers through the B circuit and had the same result.

Next step was to take the front panel off so I could get access to the circuit boards there. To cut the story short, found no bad soldering or any dodgy looking components so I re-assembled all PCB's and the front panel temporarily for a test (in case I had disturbed anything)

Lo and behold - now the amp has been on test for a total of 8 hours and it has not stuttered once. The problem MAY have been due to the 90 degree edge connectors between the main board and the front panel becoming tarnished. Removing and re-inserting them has maybe wiped the surfaces clean.

Going to test it some more tonight and keep my fingers crossed.

So, if I am lucky - a very cheap and simple fix!!

Attachments

• PICT1895.JPG
    PICT1895.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
If the connectors are looking dodgy, a spritz of contact cleaner/deoxidiser might be in order. The other thing to look for would be the source of DC that may be putting the amp into protection.
If you can, put a meter on the speaker terminals and observe if the DC starts to swing before the amp goes into protection. This would indicate a failing component.

please help me.

Hi i have been looking for ages and ages and this is the only thread anywhere that i can find to do with this amplifier, i absolutely love this amp, but i have a problem.
When i first switch the amp on all is good, sounds is perfect, but after about an hour, the buzzing starts(quiet at first) then as another hour passes it gets louder(still not too bad cant hear it with the volume up) but then after say another half hour to an hour the buzzing is so loud i have to switch it off and go back the poor sound quality of my TV.

After about an hour of being off, i switch it back on and all is good again.
Then the process starts again

the amp is the SE-A900sm2
the controll unit is SU-C800m2

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom