Technics Tuners.......

MONK67

I'm the new guy here now and have lots of questions.
I pretty much know the format as I belong to a couple of muscle car boards that uses the same format as this one.
My sign on name,MONK67,is a comibnation of my nick name I carried for much of my childhood all the way through high school (and still am greeted by it by old friends) and the year I graduated high school.
Now my first question........I've been collecting (acquiring) Technics pieces this summer. My plan is to listen and record many of my old vinyl records from the 60's.
I have a SA-202, SA-5270 and SA-7300X Technics am/fm receivers.
The 7300X is the biggest puzzle for me as to it's performance etc.
Any feed back on this unit appreciated.
Eventually I'd like to score a SA-1000 but thats for a later time.

Hey Shadow.......Thanks for the response.
If I read the info correctly, this is only a 40 watt tuner? :sigh:

MONK67 said:
this is only a 40 watt tuner? :sigh:

I wouldn't be too disappointed in this 20 wpc receiver. There are many fine examples of vintage receivers (this model is not a tuner, although it has one) which can sound tremendous with the right speakers.

Happy listening and welcome!

Urizen........thanks for the info.
Set me straight here........ (be gentle, I'm new) difference between a tuner and receiver?
The learning curve will set in soon :D
Also, will a graphic equalizer increase sound (watts)?

MONK67 said:
Urizen........thanks for the info.
Set me straight here........ (be gentle, I'm new) difference between a tuner and receiver?
The learning curve will set in soon :D
Also, will a graphic equalizer increase sound (watts)?

A receiver contains a combination of power amplifier, preamp, AM/FM or FM tuner and in most instances, a phono section, or other input options, such as for tape decks and microphones.

A tuner is a stand alone unit, or what we call a separate.

An EQ cannot increase wattage which is not available from the power amp section of your receiver. 20 watts is 20 watts. What you can easily do by excessively boosting an EQ, making it "louder", is to overload the preamp section and send the power amplifier stage into distortion, which can blow speakers and amps. Also, with most EQs, boosting the incoming signal can result in increased noise and distortion. Avoid the "smiley face" settings on EQs.

YMMV.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Urizen said:
A receiver contains a combination of power amplifier, preamp, AM/FM or FM tuner and in most instances, a phono section, or other input options, such as tape decks and microphones.

A tuner is a stand alone unit, or what we call a separate.

An EQ cannot increase wattage which is not available from the power amp section of your receiver. 20 watts is 20 watts. What you can easily do by boosting an EQ, making it "louder", is to overload the preamp section and send the power amplifier stage into distortion, which can blow speakers and amps. Also, with most EQs, boosting the incoming signal usually results in increased noise and distortion. Avoid the "smiley face" settings on EQs.

YMMV.

Good luck!

Got it.......smiley faces being changed as we speak :music:

Back
Top Bottom