technics turntable platter not turning

signal76

Hi all,
Brand new here and was hoping someone can help. checked search but returned no results. I picked up a Technics SL B200 TT and the platter does not turn when tonearm is engaged. when I move the tone arm nothing happens but the strobe light comes on and when I return the tonearm the strobe light dims but doesn't go completely out. I checked the belt and it is fine. any Ideas? Thanks in advance

Does the motor itself turn? The little brass pulley...

Some motors will seize and might need lubrication and physical manipulation to get them to turn. If it's not turning but you can feel some vibration when touching the pulley, likely a bit of oil will work.

Hi Thanks for your reply. pulley doesn't turn or move when I move tone arm and I turned it with my fingers and don't feel any resistance nor any vibration ,but I will try some oil. am I right that if the strobe light comes on its at least getting power? I don't get the light staying on but dimmer when I return the tone arm back?

Seems like an issue with the micro switches that help to sense tone arm position. Could also be aged capacitors not supplying enough juice to the motor in order for it to turn. If you remove the platter and belt, then move the tone arm to a play position; does the pulley spin ?

Hi pulley does not spin no matter what position the tone arm is in. I can move it with my fingers no problem but thats it

By micro switch do you mean the start stop switch? I've sprayed that, the speed selector switch, and the speed adjustment but still nothing. I only paid 5.USD for it so I'm thinking about taking the whole thing apart and cleaning it. I don't really know what I'm doing but I won't be out much if I mess anything up LOL

There are at least 3 switches. One for speed, one for the start/stop and another that is activated by the arm return. It's not actually described in the Service Manual other than being part of the "Motor Ass'y" but it is the microswitch referred to. It will be near the the tonearm return mechanism.

Actually there might be a 4th switch for power source (220/110) if this was made for Asia. I think this version also had a fuse.

Also there will be 3 variable resistors that can be cleaned, not just the one up front. The other 2 are on a little PC board near the power cord. If you clean and turn these you will have a little more work to do to fine tune speed, if the motor starts to work that is.

Last edited:
excellent! that just might be my problem as I had a feeling something wasn't turning off or engaging since the strobe didn't go completely off when returning the tone arm to the stop position. I don't see anything that looks like a fuse. I'm going to take her apart and clean everything and lube it. I know its not a high end TT but I like it plus maybe I can learn something in the process

Hi just starting out and don't have anything to test with or know how to for that matter LOL . I currently use a Pioneer PL 5 to listen to my vinyl and love it but picked up the technics knowing it wasn't working because I thought I could learn something. I'm guessing that cleaning is usually the cure but if I have to start replacing parts at what point do you guys say thats enough? would a cheap voltmeter be good enough? again I'm just trying to fix it to learn and probably will give it to my daughter if I get it working

i have a strange issue something similar in my technics Sl 5200. The platter is not rotating when switched on . Also it is looking like it is jammed when i switch off the power and i manually try to rotate the platter. but when i remove the platter and rotate manually only the shaft it is rotating freely. what cld be the problem. TIA

Back
Top Bottom