Tedrick

Tedrick

Infinity-phile
Subscriber
I stumbled across AK a little over a year ago like so many others have alread posted: searching the WWW for information on some long since-forgotten equipment or tweak. I liked what I saw here (no attitude, no trolls, and lots of enthusiasm) and decided to stay. In the intevening months, AK has grown to be an important part of my life, and I visit here several times a day to read, learn, and participate where I think I can add something of value. I have to say even a year later I am still in awe of the knowledge base that exists on this forum, and I am constantly amazed and humbled by everyone's willingness to share this knowledge and spread the love and enjoyment of all things audio. I agree with what has been posted repeatedly...this is the best audio forum on the whole dang Internet.

I've always enjoyed music. I sang in various youth choirs through high school, and learned to play guitar in middle school (sadly, I play very little today). When I was a teenager, my Dad put together a nice sounding system consisting of a Technics quad receiver, tape deck, and speakers, and a BIC TT. My sister and I would totally rock out whenever the parents were out of the house.

My journey into vintage audio sort of began in 1986 when I purchased a brand new pair of Infinity RS-4b's (that also coincides with the beginning of my passion for all things Infinity). They weren't vintage then, but they would be now. When I got divorced in 1989, the 4b's stayed with the ex, but I was fortunate enough to land a pair of the bigger IIIb's within a few months of the divorce that I paired up with a Carver front end. I've been through several amps and preamps since then (many of them in the last year or so), but the speakers have been the one constant, and I've enjoyed them to this day. So I guess I just sort of fell into vintage audio by default without even realizing it. In truth, I had no idea at all that there was such a huge following of vintage electronics until I visited this site.

Since joining AK, however, I've seen the light. I've gotten back into analog playback in a big way, started hitting thrift stores and yard sales looking for bargains, and have added several bonafide vintage pieces to my collection. My record collection has also ballooned, from maybe 50-60 titles to close to 500.

Besides my Infinity addiction, I'm a fan of what I call "high-value" equipment...that is, equipment that performs at a level much higher than it's price point. That philosphy is what lead me initially to Carver gear, and then later to Adcom. And it is also one of the things that attracts me to vintage gear. I'm also a fan of Nelson Pass. I just like his minimalist 'do no harm' approach to electronics design.

My current systems consist of the following:

Main rig:
Infinity RS-IIIb's
Infinity CSW-10 sub
Forte 2 pre
Forte 6 amp (in place of an Adcom GFA-555II)
VPI HW-19 MkIII/AQ PT-6/Clearaudio Arum Beta S/MF X-LPSv3
MF X10v3 tube buffer
Music Hall Maverick SACD
Adcom GFT-555II tuner
Chang Lightspeed CLS 9600 conditioner
AQ Diamondback ICs
AQ Type 6+ cables

Living Room/HT Rig:
Infinity Primus 360 mains
Infinity Primus 140 surrounds
Infinity Primus PC350 center
Klipsch SW-10 sub
Adcom GFP-860II pre/processor
Adcom GFA-6000 5-channel amp
Kenwood KD500/AQ Black Widow/Grado Reference Platinum/Bellari VP-129
CAL Delta CD Transport/Sigma II tube DAC
Sony DVP-NS50P DVD
Carver TD-1700 cassette
Adcom ACE 515 conditioner
AQ and Monster ICs
AQ and Rat Shack cables

My 8 year old son also has a system put together from some of my extra gear consisting of an Adcom amp and pre/tuner, Pioneer CDP, and KEF Reference 102's.

I listen to mostly Jazz, Classical, 70's and 80's rock, and some newer rock. I want to expand my repretoire to include Blues and a little country (older stuff, not the current drech!). I have no use for Rap.

My other activities and interests include kite flying (I'm a competition sport kite flyer), golf, bicycling (road), and birding. If I lived closer to the mountains, I'd probably be a ski nut, too. I also enjoy watching football (Go Gators!!) and NASCAR with my son.

Career-wise, I'm a professional geologist. I am the office manager for a small environmental consulting company here in Florida.

Thanks to all that have shared their knowledge and wisdom with me and made me feel welcome here. Your hospitality is much appreciated. And thanks also to the adminstrators and moderators for making this such an awesome place to meet other audio nuts...you guys are 'da best!!!

Nice intro, Tedrick.

I'm following a similar path.

Recently discovered vintage Infinity speakers and now I'm tinkering with the right amp setup.

Picked up some Carver gear at a low price, but learning on AK that I may do better with Adcom, Forte or Parasound. So I've got my eye out.

It's all fun. These big old Infinities are amazing.

Cheers, Snade

Tedrick,
Thank you for the introduction. I have enjoyed your posts and your company here on AK.

Vito

Great intro, Tedrick!
My 8 year old son also has a system put together from some of my extra gear consisting of an Adcom amp and pre/tuner, Pioneer CDP, and KEF Reference 102's.
My daughter (5) also has an "extra gear" system :D . Very cool you're getting the next gen going too! :thmbsp:

Welcome to AK universe Tedrik

Great intro. "Since joining AK, however, I've seen the light. I've gotten back into analog playback in a big way".... :banana:

Hi i love infinities too... however, i've got only one piece, an Infinity Kappa 7. Much lower in the infinity pecking order than your behemoths. It's a keeper for me.

Likewise with the ADCOM admiration. Macho Gear!!! Two pieces, I've got are the ADCOM GFA 585 LE and the GTP 500 II. The 585 LE is BIG. It's actually two 565 monoblocks melded into one. Only 3000 units were said to be made.

Hello Tedrick. Glad your here. I have enjoyed your post. I appreciate your kindness in helping me with some speaker questions awhile back. Great equipment you have there. I love to hear about someone getting a great deal on some wonderful equipment. You can get equipment that is worth 3 times what it sold for new because of the build quality, for next to nothing at garage sales and thrifts. Look forward to your next post.:yes:

Thanks everyone for the nice thoughts.

Lordfoo, I've read good things about the '585, and have unsuccessfully bid on a couple over the years. I would love to try one out in my system some day.

Centralflori, that's a very impressive list of gear in your sig as well. I bet those Maggies sound amazing with all that Mac gear. How do you like those White Zombie cables?

Centralflori, that's a very impressive list of gear in your sig as well. I bet those Maggies sound amazing with all that Mac gear. How do you like those White Zombie cables?

Hey Tedrick, sorry it took me a few days to find this. The White Zombie cables are suppose to 99% silver if I remember correctly. IMO they make the system very crisp and clear. There have been a few additional modifications since then, an RGPC 1200, and 30 ft. runs of silver speaker cables. Some may feel this makes it too bright, I kind of feel like it strips away everything but the music. Each change seems like it takes a blanket off the speakers.:yes:

Tedrick, Thanks for the intro. I really like your systems. Good to have you at AK.

Back
Top Bottom