1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Teisco Melody Vintage Amp

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Perkinsman, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Perkinsman

Perkinsman Active Member

Just scored this cool little amp and have been recapping and cleaning. Tubes all tested strong but for some reason the output voltage is only 80VDC. It breaks up early and doesn't get very loud, & the tremolo doesn't seem very smooth, way too much oscillation at low speed & intensity. Any help would be appreciated to restore this sweet little amp. melody1.jpeg melody2.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

3. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

The 1st two 6AV6s are each half of a 12AX7,,, and the third one is the trem... This guy is almost identical to 5F2 Princeton, using miniature tubes, and with trem added...
    Amp on Left is my Princeton clone...
    Did you replace all the caps yet? you need 260VAC to ground each on 6X4 pins 1 and 6... If you don't have it with the tube in place, pull the 6X4 and re test...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  4. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

This might be "plus" for recording purposes.

5. Mystic

This of course is not desirable.

6. Mystic

In any event it merits a thorough "tech" inspection, recapping, possibly Limited) retubing.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Mystic

nb: I see you're in Sac or @ least its vicinity, I suspect y'all can locate a talented amp tech up there, particularly around The Bay Area. IIRC there is a pretty good tech in Berkeley who does restoration/refurbishing of vintage gear, geetars and geetar amplification in particular. I am not able @ this moment to recall his name or the name of his business, but I seem to recall the word "Dog" being part of either his moniker or that of his shop.

8. Mystic

And of course there is the shop "Real Guitars" in SF, but the tech bench rate is likely to be astronomical @ that joint. (just a hunch) Still, they are known for providing "expert" service.

9. arts

arts Super Member

Beltone? I have this one:

[​IMG]

10. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

You said the output is 80VDC. First of all you shouldn't have any DC on the output. Do you mean 80VAC? Have you measured the plate voltage on the output tubes?