Tekton Owners Thread

I have maybe 12 hours on them so far.

Mojo Warrior, Did you buy the Mogami Cables, and if so do you like them?

Yes, I purchased the Mogami cables. So far, no complaints. I don't have a collection of speaker cables to compare them. However, I don't believe spending outrageous amounts of money gets better sound. Just different. I prefer to focus on the music and enjoy the glorious sound.
I am running a DB-1 preamp and a Parasound HCA-800II power amplifier. Sources include a couple of Sony SACD players, and an AR The Turntable.

Greetings Gents,

Hope all are well. I'm curious about something with the DI's and just larger speakers in general. When it comes to certain music, their size is an advantage. Rock, electronic, classical, etc. their size is going to help in the presentation. But with smaller scope music, for lack of better way to put it, as in a singer with a guitar, Delta blues or something to that affect where there aren't a lot of instruments, low notes, not a lot of power involved in the music, etc...

Does their size prove advantageous over smaller monitors or medium sized speakers with such a format as well?

Is the presentation more effortless?

I'm just curious. I'm getting the DI's when funds allow. It's just something I'm wondering.

Cheers.

Crammit,

In my room the DI's totally disappear and their physical size becomes meaningless. They portray small intimate performances to large scale orchestras with equal aplomb. I listen to a lot of acoustic recordings that are intimate......Jen Chapins vocals with an upright bass for instance.....and the performers seem to emanate from between the speakers and the speakers themselves disappear. With large ensembles the soundstage envelops the room from left to right, and sometimes from behind, with no hint as to where the speakers are positioned. It took a good amount of room treatment and time positioning the speakers to achieve this but I'm constantly amazed how speakers so large can sonically disappear so completely. I think their large size might contribute to their ability to disappear and Eric's crossover magic also comes into play as their sound is seamless from top to bottom. Btw mine are not in a big room, 13.5x17.5. I have speakers 6.5' apart with my listening chair 7.5' from the speakers.

Hi guys,
I am now very close to pulling the trigger on the DIs. I ended up picking up the Arcam SR250 (2-channel) receiver and have to say I am not disappointed. As far as pure driving power, it's not crazy impressive (rated at 90W per channel at 8 ohms) but overall I think it's a pretty impressive package. The Dirac room correction worked pretty well with my GoldenEar soundbar. I had to modify the sub output level to my liking but other than that, I would say it is much much better than the room correction software that came with my Pioneer Elite. The last piece of the puzzle is to find a home for my existing soundbar and sub. Hopefully, the Arcam has enough juice to drive those large speakers properly. what do you guys think as far as the minimum distance between the back wall and the back of the speakers? I am not talking about ideal situation (probably 4-5 feet away), the absolute minimum that I can get away with. I have to place it as close to the back wall as it is possible.
I will keep you guys posted and definitely post more photos once the real deal is in.
IMG_3024.JPG

Well they came in finally! They are a bigger speaker in person that's for sure! I got the Enzo XL's with all the upgrades, and I have them cooking right now. So far pretty impressed, but I really need to let them mature....they are a little less clear (only way I know how to put it) than my B&W 804 s series. Also need to work with placement for sure! These are much bigger than the b&w's and I am not sure if I should put closer to the side walls or not. I only have about 1.5 left in my small 10.5 wide room. I have them plenty far away from back wall. I will play with them and work on toe in etc......once I get off work.
I just have to say GREAT packing job on these though. And my wife loves them! Once I figure out how to post a picture I will add one on. Oh and still waiting for the Grills as that is normal and I expected that.

What is the difference between the Enzo XL and Pendragon?

They look very similar.

Hi guys,
I am now very close to pulling the trigger on the DIs. I ended up picking up the Arcam SR250 (2-channel) receiver and have to say I am not disappointed. As far as pure driving power, it's not crazy impressive (rated at 90W per channel at 8 ohms) but overall I think it's a pretty impressive package. The Dirac room correction worked pretty well with my GoldenEar soundbar. I had to modify the sub output level to my liking but other than that, I would say it is much much better than the room correction software that came with my Pioneer Elite. The last piece of the puzzle is to find a home for my existing soundbar and sub. Hopefully, the Arcam has enough juice to drive those large speakers properly. what do you guys think as far as the minimum distance between the back wall and the back of the speakers? I am not talking about ideal situation (probably 4-5 feet away), the absolute minimum that I can get away with. I have to place it as close to the back wall as it is possible.
I will keep you guys posted and definitely post more photos once the real deal is in.
View attachment 916747

I wanted to chime in after living with my Pendragon's for over a month now. All I have to say is that after many, many years and many many audio systems, I think I have finally ended my journey. I am no longer listening to the equipment and critiquing my system, I am just thoroughly enjoying my music and movies. I am blown away on how good these things truly are. And for the price, it's ridiculous. And I don't care who says these aren't rock out speakers, not even Eric himself. But these things ROCK! The other day I was playing everything from Primus, NIN, Metallica and Born of Osiris to Rage Against The Machine and Janes Addiction. At pretty high volume levels and they never broke a sweat, never sounded distorted. It sounded as if I could push them a lot more without a problem. Rock concert levels easily and never had any issues. No melted tweeters here. I just need some decent surrounds but will wait on those until I move in November.

Did any one notice that there is a new website.I was looking to buy double impact speakers.My amp is going to be rogue cronus magnum ii integrated amplifier.The website has double impact speaker with 8 ohm to used with tube amp.Which speaker should i buy.

I will be interested to hear how you like the Tektons. I also have the Rogue Cronus Magnum II and I would like to hear your impressions on how they work together. Keep us posted.

What is the difference between the Enzo XL and Pendragon?

They look very similar.

HiFiJeff

I think the difference is size, Enzo Xl's are a bit smaller, and they are front ported. They use the same drivers as far as I can tell, and for the upgrades they use the same upgrades as the pendragon.

Depending on which Tekton website you go to, one lists the Enzo XL drivers as dual 8" the other says dual 10". You have to be careful when ordering as well on one of the websites. I clicked on buy for the Enzo's in red with grills, and in the cart they show up white! I told Eric about this and I think he did correct it on one website but not the other. It's very very confusing to have both websites up and also wrong at the same time. Best bet is to call Eric or his new assistant Karma.

Here is the "old"? Website http://www.tektondesign.com/enzoxl.html
Here is the "new"? Website http://tektond.weebly.com/

Very strange and confusing!

Last edited:
HiFiJeff

I think the difference is size, Enzo Xl's are a bit smaller, and they are front ported. They use the same drivers as far as I can tell, and for the upgrades they use the same upgrades as the pendragon.

Depending on which Tekton website you go to, one lists the Enzo XL drivers as dual 8" the other says dual 10". You have to be careful when ordering as well on one of the websites. I clicked on buy for the Enzo's in red with grills, and in the cart they show up white! I told Eric about this and I think he did correct it on one website but not the other. It's very very confusing to have both websites up and also wrong at the same time. Best bet is to call Eric or his new assistant Karma.

Here is the "old"? Website http://www.tektondesign.com/enzoxl.html
Here is the "new"? Website http://tektond.weebly.com/

Very strange and confusing!

I was just curious because I have the Pendragon's and the Enzo's look almost identical except for front ports and smaller footprint.

HiFi Jeff

The Pendragons have 1 10" at top, 3 tweeters then one 10 at middle/bottom. The Enzo xl's Have 3 tweeters at the top then two 10" then the two ports. I don't think they look the same really

pendragon-black_orig.jpg
Pendragons

Crammit,

In my room the DI's totally disappear and their physical size becomes meaningless. They portray small intimate performances to large scale orchestras with equal aplomb. I listen to a lot of acoustic recordings that are intimate......Jen Chapins vocals with an upright bass for instance.....and the performers seem to emanate from between the speakers and the speakers themselves disappear. With large ensembles the soundstage envelops the room from left to right, and sometimes from behind, with no hint as to where the speakers are positioned. It took a good amount of room treatment and time positioning the speakers to achieve this but I'm constantly amazed how speakers so large can sonically disappear so completely. I think their large size might contribute to their ability to disappear and Eric's crossover magic also comes into play as their sound is seamless from top to bottom. Btw mine are not in a big room, 13.5x17.5. I have speakers 6.5' apart with my listening chair 7.5' from the speakers.

Thanks, Mac. Am not concerned about the size. It's a big part of what I've been looking for. Was just curious how it benefits with smaller scale music. Am over the moon about these. Stumbled onto Tekton 2 or 3 years ago and the Pens. I was thrilled - had been a very, very long search. Seems a lot of designers are afraid of woofers or width. Or they're not but their offerings cost a ton. (Or they don't - but have red/pink foam surrounds and may be lacking certain qualities I'm looking for.) Side-firing and sub woofers don't appeal to me that much. I'm a bit old fashioned - I want a woofers larger than 8", each side, facing me. It was a frustrating search. So when I saw the Pens, my long search was over for what to get come time. My One Shot Kills. Ducked out for a while, then checked out his site. He'd taken the Pens, gone ballistic, and came up with the DI's. They screamed, "Opportunity!" to me as a lot of speakers that suit what I'm looking for were made a long time ago. That tweeter array..

These are well beyond my dreams.

Saw your review and that was that. Just a matter of time wrangling the funds. ;)

Last edited:
HiFi Jeff

The Pendragons have 1 10" at top, 3 tweeters then one 10 at middle/bottom. The Enzo xl's Have 3 tweeters at the top then two 10" then the two ports. I don't think they look the same really

I guess I should have used different wording. They don't visually look the same because of the driver arrangement and port location but they use the exact same drivers and the same amount of drivers so I would figure the sound and performance would be VERY similar. That's kind of why I ask, what major difference can there be, sonics wise, when it comes to the two? It can't be much.

I wanted to chime in after living with my Pendragon's for over a month now. All I have to say is that after many, many years and many many audio systems, I think I have finally ended my journey...

Hey Jeff, congrats. I've had my 'dragons for a few months now and they are alot of fun. I wonder if I would be able to talk Eric into making a full size horizontal Pendragon center. Not sure how it would look in my room, but I'm willing to experiment. :)

I guess I should have used different wording. They don't visually look the same because of the driver arrangement and port location but they use the exact same drivers and the same amount of drivers so I would figure the sound and performance would be VERY similar. That's kind of why I ask, what major difference can there be, sonics wise, when it comes to the two? It can't be much.

I was wondering the same thing! you are correct that they use all the same drivers. So I would imagine they are very similar in sound. You can even get the Pens with the front ports instead of the rear ports so I would imagine they would be even more similar and placement could be easier if you don't have the space to pull them out into the room, or the waf factor plays into the equation.

Back
Top Bottom