Tekton Owners Thread

I saw in Tekton's customer gallery a picture that someone sent in of their system with the Impact Monitors and was wondering if that person was part of this forum and, if you are, what are your impressions of them?

How does the sound of the regular Impacts compare to the Double Impacts? Do the regular Impacts have that spooky real mid-range?
It is difficult to find a review of the regular Impacts.

Thanks

Hi rickmusicman

I bought the mogami 3103dlx cables from take five audio. They had to burn in five days and were deep cryogenic treated. I sure don't know if I believe in any of that but it was part of the package. I should be receiving them next week as it takes 5 days to burn in,and a weekend was involved. So I don't know yet what they will sound like but assume they will be somewhat better than the plain old speaker wire I am using. I will not use them right away as I want to burn in the speakers more and I only have about 21 or so hours on them. I really want to see if they make a difference after the fact. So far the speakers to my ears got a little worse and muddy to my ears. So I need to let them break in. My grills are finally shipping and I should get them next week and I will be able to keep my speakers in one place and not turn them facing the walls when I am done listening. My cats would be too curious and possibly climb up,the speaker fronts so I don't leave the speakers out and unattended. So a lot of break in time for the speakers left and lots of adjustments to go. Hopefully in a couple or three weeks I will have a positive update, right now I am very hopeful, but still have a long way to beat my B&W speakers.

Dwwjr56

How do you like your Mogami speaker cables, do you think the processes they did to them made a difference?

I got an email from Eric. My Lores have been shipped. I will have them by fri. 6/2. I ordered with grills but they wont come with the speakers (typical for him) so I guess some things never change. I knew this might happen because of past experience of others. I ordered any way because his speakers are so damn good.....

Guys, bad news....the wifey recently got motivated to do some remodeling / redecorating in our living room and expressed how 'obnoxious' she thinks these speakers look. She added some furniture which makes the big satin black boxes even more imposing in the space than they already were. Funny, because at 37" or so the Lore Reference pale in comparison size wise to the much larger models. It probably didn't help that I never ordered grills for them, but they would still be large rectangle boxes even the grills. Anyways, I may have to give up my beloved Lores for something more appealing, possibly bookshelf or stand mounters.
Sucks, i love these Lores...even she has commented how good they sound, but I think to her now they are an eye sore that stand out too much. She's hasn't forced the issue really, but I know eventually she'll feel more strongly about it.
I hesitate to ask, but any recommendations for a smaller speaker that might sound like a Tekton? I'm also thinking now that I'll have to employ a sub, whereas before i was totally happy sans sub for music.

Guys, bad news....the wifey recently got motivated to do some remodeling / redecorating in our living room and expressed how 'obnoxious' she thinks these speakers look. She added some furniture which makes the big satin black boxes even more imposing in the space than they already were. Funny, because at 37" or so the Lore Reference pale in comparison size wise to the much larger models. It probably didn't help that I never ordered grills for them, but they would still be large rectangle boxes even the grills. Anyways, I may have to give up my beloved Lores for something more appealing, possibly bookshelf or stand mounters.
Sucks, i love these Lores...even she has commented how good they sound, but I think to her now they are an eye sore that stand out too much. She's hasn't forced the issue really, but I know eventually she'll feel more strongly about it.
I hesitate to ask, but any recommendations for a smaller speaker that might sound like a Tekton? I'm also thinking now that I'll have to employ a sub, whereas before i was totally happy sans sub for music.

Hello Msas, Did you offer to paint them and let her choose the color? White can blend with walls etc. The choice puts the ball in her court.

Wouldn't a monitor with stands take up every bit the same space as the Lores? You could always paint them all pretty like!

If you want a smaller speaker that sounds like a Tekton maybe a Tekton monitor ;-)

Hello Msas, Did you offer to paint them and let her choose the color? White can blend with walls etc. The choice puts the ball in her court.

Ironically I originally wanted white so before I bought them I made paper mockups of white Lores but she said hell no, they look like tuxedos.

Wouldn't a monitor with stands take up every bit the same space as the Lores? You could always paint them all pretty like!

If you want a smaller speaker that sounds like a Tekton maybe a Tekton monitor ;-)

I think monitors on stands may take up the same footprint but are usually less imposing...depending on the design of the speakers and the stands of course.

Ironically I originally wanted white so before I bought them I made paper mockups of white Lores but she said hell no, they look like tuxedos.

I sometimes forget that although small my dedicated man cave is boon to my musical sanity. I hope you can figure something out. I love the Lores, even though I have the Double Impacts I keep missing the imaging the Lores have. I'll probably swap them back soon.

I got the Lore's today. I unboxed them and had them set up by 4 pm. I used a CD of Bad Plus "Give" this CD has a lot of electric bass and percussion on it. I just cranked up the volume and let it play on repeat for 3 hours. That should give the surrounds a workout.. A few observations, be careful when you pick out a custom color for yours. I picked a burgundy color that was in their gallery. It was beautiful with the gold tweeters. When I received mine I thought they gave me the wrong color. It looked more like black. They were the right color just in the low lighting of my room they look black so if you order a color think about the lighting in the room you are using. This is especially important with darker colors.. From my seating position I can look into the ports and see the raw MDF. It would be nice if they painted the back panel a black color. I did what I do with all new to me speakers no matter if they are used, vintage or new. I took a screw driver and tightened all of the driver screws. They can come loose over time, new ones are usually loose because they use air tools to install the screws. They set the pressure light so they don't strip out the screw holes.
I will comment on how they sound to me after some break in time. You can be sure I will be listening to them ALL weekend

Msas,
Impact monitors look really unique and cool to me. The wifey can pick the color. I bet they sound awesome. They are the top half of the DI and those mid drivers put out some real punchy bass. Knowing what is available monitor wise around the 2k mark I would put money that these would shame them. I would love to buy a pair for a second system if I could find a spot where the kiddo would not demolish them.

Anyone out there using a Primaluna tube amp to run any Tektons.
In particular any 4 ohm Double Impact owners?

If not Primaluna, any solid recommendations for a overachieving tube amp that will match the DIs?

I haven't been getting alerts for this thread, strange. I have a PrimLuna Prologue 5 that I use with my Lores. I tend to rotate amps. The Prologue 5 is my winter amp. Sounds very nice with variety of tube combinations.

-Dave

I just ordered some Tektons and found this thread for Tektons. I am pretty excited about them and can't wait to get them.

I haven't personally heard any of Eric's subwoofers, but last time I was in his shop (about 2 weeks ago) he had a Cinema sub on the floor. I knew it was big, but wow, it is HUGE in person. I too would love to know how well they perform compared to some of the big subwoofer names out there.
I'll let you know when I get mine.

I actually have some really great subs -- a pair of JL Audio Fathom F112 subs. I love them. As part of the Home theater package I bought, he is making a custom subwoofer for me. I wanted the Cinema Subs, but they were too big for me also. If they can beat the JL Audio's then they are world class in my opinion. I will let you know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom