Tekton Owners Thread

Welcome Raytrace. A 20 watt tube amp will drive the DI's nicely. I'm driving mine with a 24 watt Decware amp and love the sound I get. Can easily get SPL levels in the 90-100db range at my listening position 9' from the speakers. That's plenty loud for me as I usually prefer levels in the 70-80db range. With a more powerful amp the DI's could give you live concert sound levels.....oh how my wife would love that! I want to try an 8 watt 300B SET amp with DI's next or the Linear Tube Audio ZOTL 40. Does buying new components ever end? At least I'm set with speakers as the only ones I've heard that sound better than the DI's are the Coincident Speaker Technologies Pure Reference Extremes at $27k/pair......and that's way out of my price range.

I have a tube amp that is 50 watts in ultra linear mode, and 25 watts in triode mode. It plays the DI's pretty loud in in triode mode. The DI's are pretty efficient speakers, and I would be happy driving them in triode mode all the time if that's all I had. That being said, I sometimes hook them up to my old Kenwood KR1000 which has 125 watts (totally understated IMHO). This is great if you want to impress someone with frat party loudness, or knock you in your chest percussion. I'm probably not qualified enough to get into the whole tube vs SS argument, but these speakers excel with both types of amps. Since I normally don't listen to music at rock concert levels, the tube amp does just fine, and will play pretty loud and clean when called upon....But that big SS Kenwood...wow

I was able to hear my Pendragons with a tube, solid state and class D amp before I got my DI's. There was a big difference between tube and the other 2. I would imagine the results would be the same on the DI, since in my opinion the sound of the Pens and DI is very similar. The tube sound was sweeter and the bass was more melow. With tube the Pens and DI will sound loud but it will not be that solid chest punding sound some off us like. When I used the class D and solid state class AB, it was something else..It was like going to a live concert at an arena.I mean the bass HITS...the mid base pops out of the speaker, but the sweetness also goes away a bit. I guees its hard to get much sweetness sound at rock concert volumes.The sound was very similar between these 2( SS, classD). *in my opinion* when using class d and solid state the source and pre amp used play a bigger role than the amp on the type of sound you will hear. Maybe because of the Tektons efficency. Depending what kind of music you listen too, I would say anyone that has Pens or DI needs to own a solid state and a tube amp. Because listening these speakers playing jazz on tubes is magical, but listening to Pop and rock with a solid state amp is spectacular. The Pens or the DI produce a huge sound, they will make you want to expand your listening room. No joke.....

Thank you for all your inputs. I'm glad that I made the right decision of getting a pair of DI. Eric told me they should be ready to ship within a week. I need to purchase my first tube amp, and thinking of Audio Space Reference 3 (845) with a max of 25 watts of output power. They also have an option with the 805 tube which can deliver 40 watts max. Since I don't know much about the 805 characteristics, I prefer to stay with the 845 tube. Your information help me to solidify my decision. Please let me know if you have any input! Thanks again!

That will be a great amp for the DI. Eventually I will get a tube amp. But at this time I am enjoying my class d amp that performs like a champ. Purchased a $2,500 solid state and sent it back because it did not improve the sound over my unexpensive class d. Maybe I didnt have the right preamp to bring the best outta the raved SS amp.( who knows) I will not post names because I dont want to bash or create any discussions non related to the DI. But if you wanna PM me I can share some thoughts and would give you more info on ways you can get great sound with out breaking your bank.If you have a clear idea of what you like( tube) there is no need to PM me. Yes, you just purchased a great pair of speakers. The only advise I can give you at this point is, if you have the money, call Eric ASAP before he ships and order a gloss finish if you didnt. You will not return this speaker and the gloss finish is stunning. It might take a few extra days for them to be ready with that finish!!

raytrace, I think you will be thrilled the performance of 25 or 40 watt tube amp. My DI's are in a moderately large room, and my listening position is about 8 ft back from the DI's. I generally get peaks of about 88dB with my volume set at 9 o'clock. I usually back off my volume control to about half on my Audivarna Plus remote which puts my listening peaks at 82dB, or so, depending on the source material. In Triode mode, these readings a slightly less, but Triode mode has no problems pumping out volume on the DI's, at least on my setup.

That will be a great amp for the DI. Eventually I will get a tube amp. But at this time I am enjoying my class d amp that performs like a champ. Purchased a $2,500 solid state and sent it back because it did not improve the sound over my unexpensive class d. Maybe I didnt have the right preamp to bring the best outta the raved SS amp.( who knows) I will not post names because I dont want to bash or create any discussions non related to the DI. But if you wanna PM me I can share some thoughts and would give you more info on ways you can get great sound with out breaking your bank.If you have a clear idea of what you like( tube) there is no need to PM me. Yes, you just purchased a great pair of speakers. The only advise I can give you at this point is, if you have the money, call Eric ASAP before he ships and order a gloss finish if you didnt. You will not return this speaker and the gloss finish is stunning. It might take a few extra days for them to be ready with that finish!!

With the HE Tektons the cheapo class D amps like the TPA3116 no doubt would be an upgrade to many boutique SS amps.

I have the Lores and like them but the sound stage width doesn't go beyond the speakers. Is this common?
What has anybody done to expand the soundstage?

Fsdaron

While I've not had the Lores, the Enzo's and DI's gave me a very wide soundstage. A lot of factors can lead to a wider soundstage......Im sure Lores are just as capable. Speaker placement and room treatments are probably as important as anything. I might suggest experimenting with toe in and distance apart. If the speakers are too far apart or not toe'd in correctly the soundstage can collapse. Too much reflection can cause havoc also. If possible maybe you could experiment with some diffusion at the first reflection points....side walls, ceiling and floors can all reflect depending what material they are made of. Going to a dedicated sound room dramatically enlarged my soundstage but most have to make the best of a living room situation. If you have a large screen tv between the speakers, placing a blanket over it while listening to music can help quite a bit also. Luckily Tekton speakers seem less fussy about placement and room treatments than many speakers, but they aren't totally immune to room acoustics and placement. With some experimenting you should be able to improve your sound. Good luck.

Che
I have the Lores and like them but the sound stage width doesn't go beyond the speakers. Is this common?
What has anybody done to expand the soundstage?
Check out the Mapleshade website for "free upgrades". There is a section dedicated to room/placement advice.

Are there any tekton owners in atlanta, willing to let a fellow music lover hear their speakers? I have read a bit about tekton and my curiosity is peaked. I currently own modified klipsch forte ii's, wondering if tektons might beat them?? Specifically their double impact but would love to hear any of their speakers.

Angelp, Thanks for the info. I got the upgrade on sliver wiring package. But he didn't mention to me about the gloss finish. I definitively would like to talk to him about that.

raytrace, I think you will be thrilled the performance of 25 or 40 watt tube amp. My DI's are in a moderately large room, and my listening position is about 8 ft back from the DI's. I generally get peaks of about 88dB with my volume set at 9 o'clock. I usually back off my volume control to about half on my Audivarna Plus remote which puts my listening peaks at 82dB, or so, depending on the source material. In Triode mode, these readings a slightly less, but Triode mode has no problems pumping out volume on the DI's, at least on my setup.
MHZenith, you gave me great confidence in getting a 25 watt tube amp. That's exactly what I want to hear from my fellow DI owners. Thanks a lot!

ray trace, let us know when you get your DI's. The comment about the volume control was just a generalization, as I realize different components will have different affects on the amount of volume. That being said, the DI's are very efficient speakers.

ray trace, let us know when you get your DI's. The comment about the volume control was just a generalization, as I realize different components will have different affects on the amount of volume. That being said, the DI's are very efficient speakers.
MHZenith, Will do! But I'll need to get the tube amp first!

Anybody seen the Tekton blog recently? The last post says the Tekton Uruz is back in production... and it shows a picture of a Lore size speaker with a ribbon tweeter. Anybody had experience with this in the past? I never seen it before.

Hi , I am planning to buy DI soon. I prefer walnut finish matching with my audio rack. Is it possible to have custom order ?
What about the black piano finish ? Is there any one who has this finish ? I am little concern soft gloss finish whether it looks nice or not.
Please recommend anything for finishing.

View attachment 857347 View attachment 857348 View attachment 857349

I received my Pendragons last week (after waiting 2 months), and I couldn't be happier. I'm actually really surprised by their sound. In a former life I was a live sound engineer for about 5 years, occasionally mixing large (5,000+ people) events. Concurrent to that I was in the studio engineering and producing, and occasionally mastering. I've heard several pairs of Augspurger and Genelec mains (double 15s w/ horn) in big commercial control rooms, Duntech Sovereign in a mastering room, the original B&W Nautilus (the shell), every iteration of the B&W 801 and 802, and most studio / live / audiophile speakers out there over the years. I was expecting the 802 sound or hints of the Duntech / Dunlavy sound, but honestly to me they sound just like the huge Augspurger mains. That is accurate, punchy, endless headroom, huge detailed soundstage, and flat, extended bass. They really don't impart their own sonic signature, but at the same time they won't punish you the way some audiophile or mastering speakers will with poor recordings. It's really a perfect compromise. Well done Eric! Oh, and the finish is absolutely spectacular. My wife loves them.
Hi, what was the color you bought ? It seems like Cherry color.

Back
Top Bottom