1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Tekton Owners Thread

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by prighello, Aug 28, 2014.

1. rickmusicman

rickmusicman Member

I am new to this forum and would like some advice from Pendragon and or Double Impact owners. I have never had a chance to hear these speakers, but looking at all the great reviews, I am going to take the plunge and buy a pair. I talked to Eric and he suggested the Pendragons 4 ohms. I have a Sansui Au 517 amp 65 watt per channel, or a Yamaha RX V2095 receiver at 100 watts per channelI could use as well. My question is the sound difference between the Pendragons and the Double Impact. I like to listen to all genres of music, but listen to rock the most. They will be in my living room which is also the dining room kitchen, open floor plan so it is a good size space with wood floors. I would appreciate any suggestions out there. Thanks

2. mac48025

mac48025 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to the forum Rick. I would take Eric suggestion as no one knows his speakers better. I'm thinking he chose the Pendragons for you based on rock being your favorite music. They'll also save you $1000. Having said that I absolutely love my DI's and you'd be hard pressed beating its performance. Terry Londons review of the DI's comes out tomorrow at hometheaterreview.com. It's a glowing review and he liked the DI's so much he bought them. On another forum I was surprised to hear that Terry doesn't like the Pendragon. Different strokes for different folks. I had he Enzo's before the DI's and can't imagine there's a Tekton speaker I wouldn't like. I don't think you can wrong with either speaker and even though I love the the DI I would go with Eric's suggestion. Good luck

3. rickmusicman

rickmusicman Member

mac48025, thanks for your response, I think I will go for the Pendragon. The Double Impact would be a great way to go, but like you said it's $1,000.00 more.

4. Bob in WI

Bob in WI AK Subscriber Subscriber

Minimum 50 hours for them to open up. I have a pair of the similar Lore S. Give them time.

5. pdyebrasil

pdyebrasil New Member

Just finished reading the review for the DIs... It is a glowing review indeed! I already had a little DI envy... but I love my Pens, so I guess I'll have to live with them :) I think Eric is about to get a lot busier!

6. mac48025

Quite a review indeed. It was nice having a professional describe what I couldn't properly describe. The DI's have all the audiophile attributes in spades but what I think sets them apart is what Terry London described as their "aliveness". It's a perfect description as they really bring music to life. That's an attribute all Tektons seem to have but the DI's take it up a notch.

Don't expect sympathy for having the "lowly" Pendragons, Pdyebrasil! They are great speakers. If you want to hear what they're fully capable of try a seperate amp. I'm not knocking the Integra receiver and realize seperate components aren't always preferable or doable, but receivers are limited with their output and the Pendragons will translate every improvement in upstream components that you can provide.

7. pdyebrasil

pdyebrasil New Member

I hear ya! I know that I am limiting the Pens potential w/the Integra, so my next upgrade will be to buy a new Pre/Pro and Amp. I'm sure it'll make a big difference. Plus, so far my Pens are the best speakers I have heard. I'm very happy with them. It's just this darn upgrade bug that comes around every so often :)

8. mac48025

It's just possible you might prefer the Pendragons over the DI's, especially for home theater. If you go with seperate shout Pendragons will reward you and any thoughts of changing them will disappear.

9. Sunny61

Sunny61 Active Member

20170209_135505.jpg 20170306_155917.jpg Currently running a Rega system with Cursa3 preamp and Exon3 mono blocks with my OB Sigmas. Very nice!

Bob in WI, IPADave and MHZenith like this.
  10. rickmusicman

rickmusicman Member

Now I am really in a dilemma! After reading the review by Terry London on the Double Impact, I cant decide between the Pendragon and DI. Do you think there is a big difference in the sound between the two? There is a $1000 difference, any opinions or thoughts concerning this? I wish I could listen to them both before buying, but that's not possible.

11. Naimster

Naimster New Member

That question is so subjective, 100 people will have 500 answers. I like to keep it simple so I will say the following. Are DIs “better” than PDs? Yes, if your equipment is sensitive enough to detect the changes in sound clarity, imaging and if your music library is light on R&R and heavy on Jazz, classical music and vocals. If it's the other way around, pocket the $1,000 and go with the dragons. Both speakers share the same heritage so for pop, rock, punk, electronic and similar (“loud”) music, dragons will be more than sufficient if not better, imho.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  12. rickmusicman

rickmusicman Member

Naimstar, thanks for the reply. I appreciate your opinion, it makes a lot of sense and looking at the music I listen to most, as well as the extra cost, I think the Pendragons are my best choice. I can use the savings to take my wife on a vacation!

13. mac48025

Great advise naimster. Since Eric also suggested the Pendragons for you Rick, I think it's a safe bet they are the speaker for you. Or you could wait for the Double Impact SE Eric is working on.......a cost no objective DI that should sell between $6-10K ;)

14. rickmusicman

rickmusicman Member

I could do that, but then I may be sleeping on the couch for awhile HaHa

15. pdyebrasil

pdyebrasil New Member

Worth it! :D

16. mac48025

Not only worth it but you'll be able to sleep wih your DI's!

17. Audio Gorn

Audio Gorn New Member

Just wanted to chime in. I've been listening to allot of rock on my DI's. Everything from Rush, Metallica, Ozzy, Dio, Even Viking death metal. And it sounds AMAZING. Eric has stated that the Double impacts "do everything better". Its a game changing design. kick forward the extra bucks and go for the king! I have only one regret and its that my listening room isn't larger. If Eric is working on a no holds barred version of the DI's, I better start saving.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    jaybirdss396 likes this.
  18. Sunny61

Sunny61 Active Member

What is your upstream gear?

19. mac48025

I'm saving up too, Audio Gorn. The upcoming Double Impact SE, a costs no object DI with a projected price of $6-10k, should be incredible. The DI's are already unbelievable and I wonder how much Eric can improve upon them. Something tells me he will pull another miracle out of his hat. Can you imagine what his top of the line PMD for $40k will sound like? I can't even imagine.

20. Audio Gorn

Audio Gorn New Member

Hi sunny, Currently I'm running Nad M51 to a Schiit Freya pre-amp, Wyred4 sound St1000 - 725w into a 4ohm load. Mostly J-river. With Schiit.png