Tektronix Oscilloscope score - Model: TDS3054

For audio-frequency audio work, any cheap probes will be fine, even without the indicator pin.

E.g., these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-P6100...robe-100MHz-For-Tektronix-HP-CK-/192038517505

Those probes look okay.

I would be careful with any cheap probes for those that are interested. Some cheap probes will not even pass a square wave to look like a reasonable square wave, even at audio frequencies even with adjustable compensation. Using a square wave to help judge amplifier performance is not uncommon.

The bandwidth rating on some cheap probes is more of a hope than a reality. Some day you might want to look at the output of the RF front end of a tuner/receiver where it goes into the mixer. It is nice if the scope probes will do a decent job off passing the signal.

Mechanical integrity and durability can be questionable.

For probes that will be used at RF the part circled in red is important. It allows for a short RF return (ground).

upload_2017-7-12_18-9-15.png

The following picture shows how the short grounding adapter is used. The center of the probe it put on the point to be measured and the ground device it put on the closest ground. The amount of inductance in even the short alligator lead ground can be an issue.

upload_2017-7-12_18-12-40.png

I buy them by the bag and bend them and form them as needed.

For the first probe that you linked to, I am not fond of the exposed compensation adjustment and there is not provision for the use of the grounding adapter. It look like that part of the probe is insulated.

The fist probe is fixed 10 to 1.

The second is switched 1 to 1 and 10 to 1. This may be useful in certain instances.

For probes that will be used at RF the part circled in red is important. It allows for a short RF return (ground).

View attachment 966265

The following picture shows how the short grounding adapter is used. The center of the probe it put on the point to be measured and the ground device it put on the closest ground. The amount of inductance in even the short alligator lead ground can be an issue.

View attachment 966268

I buy them by the bag and bend them and form them as needed.

For the first probe that you linked to, I am not fond of the exposed compensation adjustment and there is not provision for the use of the grounding adapter. It look like that part of the probe is insulated.

The fist probe is fixed 10 to 1.

The second is switched 1 to 1 and 10 to 1. This may be useful in certain instances.

Awesome info thanks! That's a great explanation of the short grounding adaptor and how it works.

I'll look at getting hold of the second set of probes then.

Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom