Telecaster project. Building two.

Binkman

Lunatic Member
Getting a little bored and local sales are down for vintage SS gear so going to try assemble/build a couple of Telecasters using internet supplier parts. encompassing a lot of searching of suppliers. Reading up on builders, known flaws in orig. designs. Actually quite a few builders and they all seem to focus on one thing; Getting the tone and response right. eliminating those peculiar variables that effect tone, sustain etc. materials used, solid body (swamp ash), maple neck bolt on, etc. using the bridge neck pups (no humbuckers), And going black trim theme on both. I've given up on fixer uppers, the search is bad enough and you don't know whats inside. If I sell I'm going after the players not the collector... From what I glean is they're usually looking for a new sound or fix what they're playing. At least I can list exactly what's in them and the tele is long embedded to players.
=================
Going with semour duncans on one, maybe both with the stl3 and another neck model.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/picku...id_ref=5ae37b480112f?__uuid_ref=5ae37b4801175

Babicz rear bridge apparently kills the tuning variables found other bridges.
http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-reviews
http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-tele-z-series-single-coil-pickup
--
Got two necks on order, one from stewmac and one from china that's actually from Canada. LOL. Seems to be a shortage of reasonably priced necks all around and bodies for the better woods, too.
--
Got quite a few parts from guitar fetish including swamp ash bodies clear nitro lacquer. also intend to line the ash trays with shielding.
--
stewmac had a 4 position switch on the control plate.. has 250k pots but may have to bump them up to 500k.. what a frigging pita finding that assembly versus building them? The 4th switch position puts pups in series, should be interesting.gotta find a parts list bottom end and so my own. considering prices for these misc parts? I can see why people go to asia to get them. usually free shipping, too.

Well that's the basics so far, any advice on pickups would be helpful to try another route. Seems like the posted will make a screamer out of any tele. also wondering if its worth going with these fast change out pickup wiring?

Thanks.

I've started receiving parts and I want all members interested that I will be closely inspecting each, too. I'm sort of reviewing sources, too. Necks seem to be in short off the shelf supply, suppliers inform of higher than avg. buyouts for fender style necks and select i.e. alder etc wood bodies. About a 4-6 week window from ordering to receiving from solo cutters or factory one piece and higher prices. A few suppliers will cut any neck to order for flat rate of 175.00.. any #frets length, c shape etc etc. I did find one wholesale cutter of necks and bodies will give me rates on a 10pc min order ready to finish if prepaid and look the other way.

I'm not suggesting selling tele's to members.. I'm no where near such a position. but hopefully identify more expensive parts (misc. stuff usually) and find a better price.

pics
https://imgur.com/a/tGOWM96
Things going smoothly.. taking time. Impressed with body finish from 'guitar fetish' beefy. Dark swamp ash from.'Guitar Fetish'. Also sell unfinished. Hey for china affilliate USA.. for standard styles.. I'll take the discount if the quality is there. This seems to be for bodies and other parts assorted; popular trim parts and necks seem to be out of stock at present. few pieces I did get are decent. (I applied the copper shielding.)

-Got a 98% finished neck made by watco neck one piece. A final finish resilient but needs final coat. it is comfortable in the C shape. (seller: Stewmac)
-This Babics bridge should be fun stretching notes or made a bit easier. and got locking tuners to match black trim theme.
-Have tele set paired pickups from Duncan should get this week, have switch plate wired with 4 way. "quarter pounder" figured well what the hell, these are high output and if too much I still have three way and could pop in a couple of lesser outputs. 22 day trial period.. so open for options.

Last edited:
Finished the 1st unit couple weeks ago and ordered another stewmac neck for the 2nd build. I am not disappointed at all. You know how tweaking goes with adjustments and amp. but so far plenty of low and high output if wanted and quiet per the semour duncan 1/4 pounder. You might call it a custom as parts are of good quality.
----
China neck aside from from it's finish and price, not bad at all with finger board, amber gloss finish and quite well done, except for the heel is a tad too wide. some of it finish and some will require some sizing so that will require some thought. would I buy another neck from china? no.

bEPhSLX.jpg

sRY0Aj9.jpg

nUIf7Xk.jpg

gRxX2tb.jpg

Gotoh staggered locking tuners; 'sperzel style' (hold tune in well, too.) You like? Note I wanted to keep the all black trim motif though black anodize is more expensive than chrome.
In process of moving and took some time to get some playing in. I really like this set up. Tele's in my locale either don't last long in stores or you don't see many online locally to compare to. But with the neck (fender licensed & needed no adjustment at all) and swamp ash body you really can 'feel' the playing through the neck noted by many players. The Babicz bridge is really quite nice and adjustments are precise.

Thanks Philo! I really appreciate that.
Think I'll take it down to local guitar shop and maybe somebody better than I am can play it and see what it delivers.

Thanks Philo;
Think I'll take it down to the local shop and have somebody better than me play it and see what it delivers.

----Is that an Avenger in your avatar?

Okay boyz and girlz.. Update.
Just to say since I moved and have space to play and work on stuff. Given time to #1 (#2 still in boxes)
I built this because I know better buy two... parts etc... why? I got tired of seeing the same junk in guitars are US toy store and even the better shops marketing out of adjusted fine instruments..

I'm a young 66 yr/old. I've studied and played many guitars. So for the hell of it I put it up on Clist in ral/dur/ch listing.
So far one real neg. like wrong color, wrong tuners bla bla is and that.

#2 was 'It doesn't look like a 61' repro." (modern.) ... meanwhile it is body wise and cavity cuts cadcam copy (yet to respond)

I wasn't really up to sell but performance? The pups are a bit much for a small amp. but tonal quality is there. So I'm thinking put up a challenge? LOL :D ?? I know no shop will take it on because he/she is selling 'brand' but what kicks me is nobody so far wants to see or play it !! go figure.

Responses welcome..

Last edited:
Whilst your piece is not totally my style, I think she looks nice. You thought it through before you built...remember, you were looking for players...I think all you have found are posers so far. Chin up!

I'll second the "not my style but looks nice" comment. The whole point of building a guitar for yourself is to get exactly the guitar you want, so if you like it I'd call it a success.

Hoping to embark on a project of my own soon. I've wanted a Jazzmaster with lipstick pickups for at least a decade. I think it's time to make it happen.

I'm actually getting to enjoy this guitar for intended sound and you get what you pay for in pickups but the plain wood grain was available by fender.. So color and visuals.. ?? The black tuners cost more than chrome, too. body style fits comfortably on your thigh.. the SD pickups and body seem to have the tonals. I'm 66.. I played & worked for free at music store in the mid 60's I knew some players who would have snatched it up!
---------------
marqueemoon take a look at guitarfetish and see what's avail in bodies... haven't tried their necks as out of stock but the body dims and fit for both matched at stewmac necks. (fender licensed) make sure you can get a refund on parts parts if you order them DIY.. from any supplier but I had no issues from those two suppliers to warrant a refund.

I like it!! FWIW,, I build for myself,,, audio amps, guitar amps all tube stuff... Don't really care if anyone else wants it!!! Never had anyone say they didn't sound good tho!!! Had "real" guitar players say I should build/sell em to players, but I'm retired and that would be another job!!!!

John;
I appreciate your love for amps and guitars and 'don't give a shi#t' attitude. I can justify the 'search' for that quality tone! I won't be going on tour! LOL.. I'm not bad though.. :D

I'm sure your [John] guitars would be grabs but these marketers sell to stores and the dummy moms and dads don't realize or wish to invest into a good guitar over the given 'toys are us' or 'guitar center junk.. . and the kiddies get progress but lose interest after a few chords and cheap strings.

bink

Back
Top Bottom