Tell me about Chorus Is and why they are "better" than IIs

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
I have an opportunity to buy some Chorus 1s for about going price, no upgrades, but supposedly mint in box.

I have Cornwalls, Forte, 2 pair of Heresy, KG-4s and a work in progress La Scala pair.

I have the klipsch addiction-affliction...

I bought my Corns about 4 years ago at a good price and these chorus will cost double, should I jump?

Money is tight right now too, so this is a decision... but these don't offer themselves everyday in my area.

You state money is tight and you already own Cornwalls, so I say don't do it. There are always other Klipsch speakers for sale somewhere. Personally I prefer the Tractix on the Chorus IIs.

You state money is tight and you already own Cornwalls, so I say don't do it. There are always other Klipsch speakers for sale somewhere. Personally I prefer the Tractix on the Chorus IIs.

sound advice
I guess if they were way below retail then it becomes a different story. Thanks!

I like Fortes more than Chorus; I think they are more balanced.

I have such a large space, and such a love for so many amps/sounds/flavors... I have a dream to have one of each of the heritage series from Klipsch. Maybe I am dreaming, but I'm half way there, and I've only been klipsch-crazy for about 4 years. But with my recent job loss, I must put this fantasy on hold. I just didn't know if Chorus 1s were really rare, and if this opportunity deserved quick action. ... but for 1k, I think they can be had again in the future.

I always heard the Chorus II's were better than the Chorus I's, something about the woofer if I recall correctly. Moray knows the deep down on this....

I always heard the Chorus II's were better than the Chorus I's, something about the woofer if I recall correctly. Moray knows the deep down on this....

Oh... maybe I confused the two...I did look at sales on ebay and it looked like the 1s achieved about 50-75% more than the 2s.

I have had both and Forte' I's and II's as well. Overall I prefer the Chorus II over the original. The bass on the Chorus I is a bit anemic IMHO even though it has a quality 15" driver. I don't know if it's cabinet volume, port design or??? The bass on the Chorus II goes much lower and is better defined when set up properly. To me, the highs and the mid-range are a wash even though the Tractrix horn is preferred by many. Like sheltie dave, I like the balanced sound of the Forte', especially in smaller rooms. However, I have done an A/B with Chorus II's and Forte' II's and the C II has a bigger sound. Not necessarily better but bigger. If you're a "bottom dweller" like me, the Chorus II is the clear choice. Just my $.02.

As stated, Chorus II's are generally considered more desirable. Personally, I like the Cornwall's and Forte's over the Chorus I's I had (for different reasons though). The Forte's go deeper, and the Cornwall's seemed more dynamic.

I have had both and Forte' I's and II's as well. Overall I prefer the Chorus II over the original. The bass on the Chorus I is a bit anemic IMHO even though it has a quality 15" driver. I don't know if it's cabinet volume, port design or??? The bass on the Chorus II goes much lower and is better defined when set up properly. To me, the highs and the mid-range are a wash even though the Tractrix horn is preferred by many. Like sheltie dave, I like the balanced sound of the Forte', especially in smaller rooms. However, I have done an A/B with Chorus II's and Forte' II's and the C II has a bigger sound. Not necessarily better but bigger. If you're a "bottom dweller" like me, the Chorus II is the clear choice. Just my $.02.

Thanks! This is helping me to not regret walking away from the Chorus 1s right now.

As stated, Chorus II's are generally considered more desirable. Personally, I like the Cornwall's and Forte's over the Chorus I's I had (for different reasons though). The Forte's go deeper, and the Cornwall's seemed more dynamic.

I think I had it backwards then... I do know that my Cornwalls have been my most impressive speaker with my tooby-woobies.

Chorus II seems to have a more dynamic and faster bass that a Chorus. The Chorus has the advantage that it can be pushed up against a wall or into corner, where the II must stand away from the rear wall and further out of a corner.can be a real challenge. Getting the PR to match up with the front woofer can be a real challenge.

The bass on the Chorus I is a bit anemic IMHO even though it has a quality 15" driver. I don't know if it's cabinet volume, port design or??? The bass on the Chorus II goes much lower and is better defined when set up properly.
The Chorus II has a 15" passive radiator facing rearward,.which explains the improved bass over the Chorus I.
The Chorus has the advantage that it can be pushed up against a wall or into corner, where the II must stand away from the rear wall and further out of a corner.can be a real challenge
Correct, as Chorus II passive radiators (or PR) don't perform well when they're pushed up against walls.

Last edited:
Ported designs seem to be the norm nowadays. Obviously some ported speakers can produce prodigious bass when designed to do so. I think the original Chorus, which replaced the Cornwall II, was not designed to create low bass. I don't know if this was by accident or on purpose? It certainly could not produce the quality low bass of the Cornwall which, as we know, is front ported with more cabinet volume.

Back
Top Bottom