Tell me about Napa Valley cassette boxes

tnmike1

AK Member
Just bought some very nice classical and jazz cassette tapes from an ebay seller so now need something to store them all. I see on ebay these various boxes from Napa Valley. Were these produced solely for cassette storage or is someone converting them from some other use? Looks quite interesting and different from those tacky vinyl/imitation leather cases

I got the impression somewhere that someone repurposed some wood from wine crates for various storage uses and that the idea grew into a business with all sorts of purpose built storage units. I've thought this for a long time, so I may have heard it somewhere in the '70s or '80s.

I love their wall hanging cassette storage and am surprised to have never seen something similar for CDs.

I got the impression somewhere that someone repurposed some wood from wine crates for various storage uses and that the idea grew into a business with all sorts of purpose built storage units. I've thought this for a long time, so I may have heard it somewhere in the '70s or '80s.

I love their wall hanging cassette storage and am surprised to have never seen something similar for CDs.

O so those larger boxes are for wall hanging??? With no clear picture I didn't know if they lay flat, stood on end, or just what. Wall hanging is a cool idea. May look at them, although I do admit having a fondness for the little boxes that hold 12 cassettes each.

O so those larger boxes are for wall hanging??? With no clear picture I didn't know if they lay flat, stood on end, or just what. Wall hanging is a cool idea. May look at them, although I do admit having a fondness for the little boxes that hold 12 cassettes each.

Cassettes.jpg

I've been buying these "Spice Racks" from Target :

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-acacia-spice-rack/-/A-14617861#prodSlot=medium_1_10&term=spice+rack

They hold 16 cassettes comfortably and have a nice "wood work" appearance.

Mark Gosdin

Last edited:
The Napa boxes work well. The ones I have are pre drilled 16" apart so you just need to put a screw or nail in two studs and hang em...if you want.

THe original Napa Vally boxes were the small stackable 12 cassettes in a row and resembled wine boxes, hence the catchy name. They eventually expanded in to cassette an LP boxes and racks of various kinds. I own a couple each of the wall mount ones that came in 36, 50 & 100 tapes per rack. Most of mine I found in local thrifts for $4-8 each, so MUCH less than eBay, where just the shipping is more. I bought a few from eBay all from the same seller once so only paid one shipping, but 2 were still NIB. I added nails from my nail gun and even glued the backs on some of them for strength. Maybe 800+ in Napa racks, just an easy way to pick, choose and display.

The Napa boxes work well. The ones I have are pre drilled 16" apart so you just need to put a screw or nail in two studs and hang em...if you want.

I have 6 100 count Napa's on the wall now. To save on screw holes I've used the Hercules hooks (pin sized holes) "As Seen on TV section of Wally World." Napa's go for up to $50 on EBay, but can be found in most thrift for under a fiver (if you look).

I have 10 of the 100 size, mounted on my walls (actually-the walls of the staircase leading up to my man cave)

They work very well, and they can be mounted into drywall with good drywall anchor/screw sets. That way, you can mount anywhere along the wall, instead of being limited to the stud locations. Plenty strong.

First 5 I got for a song. The other 5 I had to pay about $120 for, on that auction site.

I havent seen any in the thrifts or yard sales for quite some time now.

Back
Top Bottom