Tell me about this HH Scott R75S

Virgil

People's Republic of Pineland
Subscriber
I found this at the local GW and paid $49.99 for it. I liked the look so much, very similar to Yamaha style designs in appearance. Not much out there on it. IIRC It was part of their Professional series circa '72-'74 and had a ten-year warranty. Looks solid, works great.

Any ideas on worth? Not expecting much to be honest but I really like it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180728_095429860_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180728_095429860_HDR.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20180727_172936389.jpg
    IMG_20180727_172936389.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20180727_172902902.jpg
    IMG_20180727_172902902.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
appears to have had the power cord replaces as the IEC connector was not in use at the time it was made. take inside pics to show what else was done.

appears to have had the power cord replaces as the IEC connector was not in use at the time it was made. take inside pics to show what else was done.

This is about as comfortable as I'm going, at least tonight. I'm on my third Sierra Nevada.

IMG_20180728_174354840.jpg IMG_20180728_174301344.jpg IMG_20180728_174317064.jpg

Interesting to see the speaker connectors on the left side and the RCA inputs on the right, not that it matters.

I don't think I've seen one of these. More familiar with the series before that, like the 386 Stereomaster. Dad had one. They look more like the 1970 era ones with the dark face (similar to the Pioneer SX-1010).

I would have pegged this one as later than 72-74.

Cool.

Various online sites say 1974 or 74-76.

I've heard from someone that they came with 10 year warrantee. My manual's warrantee page is pasted shut. But bright light reveals 3 years.

Any ideas on worth?
The Scott R3xx series which came after this, are listed in the ~$2-300 range on eBay.
This is 50wpc, probably very conservatively measured. I'd think it's worth at least what the others go for.
I've not seen any of the R7x series listed for sale anywhere. I've only been looking for a year. These seem a bit rare. But not in a way that anyone seems to care about.

The Scott R3xx series which came after this, are listed in the ~$2-300 range on eBay.
This is 50wpc, probably very conservatively measured. I'd think it's worth at least what the others go for.
I've not seen any of the R7x series listed for sale anywhere. I've only been looking for a year. These seem a bit rare. But not in a way that anyone seems to care about.
I just picked up a Scott r77s in working condition, it was made in Belgium. The tuner and tape 2 inputs sound great! I have no way of testing the phono inputs.

My unit has an IEC connector, but the ground was never used, only two wires, which are not polarized come out of the plug.

My unit has an IEC connector, but the ground was never used, only two wires, which are not polarized come out of the plug.
Hmm. Does the IEC socket have 3 prongs? The cord could have been replace with a non-grounded one. On the SM schematic and on mine in real life, the cord ground is connected to the chassis ground.

Hmm. Does the IEC socket have 3 prongs? The cord could have been replace with a non-grounded one. On the SM schematic and on mine in real life, the cord ground is connected to the chassis ground.
The IEC has 3 prongs and so does one end of the plug, but the end, which you plug in only has 2 non-polarized prongs.
The unit appears to be original, the guy who sold it to me is loaded with 1970's electronics because his father just passed away.
I have tweaked many high-end components and there is no sign of any modifications.
I downloaded the lengthy service manual, but couldn't locate the instructions manual.
In your opinion is this unit worth restoring?
I was amazed at the unrestored quality of the tuner and Tape 2 input, I have no way of testing the 2 phono inputs.
Unrestored the unit is delivering about 70% of my reference system, which includes the best NOS tubes.
It's RCA CRC 211's cost $1,500 a pair, if and when you can find them.
Thanks in advance for your help!

In your opinion is this unit worth restoring?

I'm not an expert. I find the quality of my restored R75s to be astounding. It does wonderfully on any 60-70s studio album, rendering vocals and instruments with great clarity. There are times when an unremarkable strum or cowbell astounds, and a vocal consonant suddenly seems like a revelation. At 50wpc it bogs down with complex classical and choral pieces. But the pieces I have in mind would tax many systems.

These were, I think, the last and greatest solid state pieces Scott made in the US. There are many signs inside of uncompromising design for the time. I've seen other owners of this series (74/75/77) describe them as their favorites.

Your R77s is the bigger brother to mine with twice the filter caps, 44v rails, and rated at 75 wpc. I'm often tempted to try to find a transformer to bump mine up to that rail voltage (the only difference besides the caps).

The link referenced above documents my rebuild--guided by people more knowledgable than me. It has some important details, including corrections to a typo in the SM regarding setting bias--provided by an AK member in Sweden who found references on a French audio page. AK is a wonderful place.

The User Manual is not particularly informative. But I can provide you with a scan if you like -- PM if you'd like one.

Last edited:
I agree with you, I am loving my Scott r77s!
Please let me ask you a question, does it have another set of inputs that could take a CD player or stand alone DAC, right now, I am only using the Tape 2 input?
I have one of each and noticed two sets of jumpers. Do you know, what these are for?
I hate to use a passive preamp because of it's cost and the cost of another set of interconnects.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Cary aka Dr. Ears

I agree with you, I am loving my Scott r77s!
Please let me ask you a question, does it have another set of inputs that could take a CD player or stand alone DAC, right now, I am only using the Tape 2 input?
I have one of each and noticed two sets of jumpers. Do you know, what these are for?
I hate to use a passive preamp because of it's cost and the cost of another set of interconnects.

The jumpers under the "Accessory" column on the back, top right, go from the receiver's onboard preamp and tone board to the on board power amplifiers. (I'll double check the schematic, but I'm pretty sure that's the setup.) If you have another preamp, you can lift those jumper bars and patch in there. "Out" comes from the onboard preamp, "In" goes to the onboard power amp. So, I believe you will, patch your preamp output to the "In." Then you can use your preamp to handle all of your inputs.

The Scott r7Xs receivers have an active preamp board for phono, fm and am. I always forget whether it's wired in with Tape 2 or not. The schematics have that.

I use Tape 2 and Tape 1 as inputs. Tape 2 is selected with the "Input" knob. Tape 1 is the default input when you press the "Tape" button on the front to "monitor."

Back
Top Bottom