Tell me all the bad things about Cornwalls..

I loved my Cornwalls, but had to sell them due to living in a mini home! They just couldn't breath and they take up a lot of real estate! I am lucky enough to own a pristine set of Chorus 1s and sound wise in my space sound better..while taking up less floor space.
The good news is my friend bought the Cornys and I can hear them in his larger space where they sound much better..

Cornwalls are some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. I would have bought some if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on my Corner Horns. Cornwalls don't seem to be very picky about placement. and look good just about anywhere, in my opinion.
I don't understand the statement about some speakers not liking much power. Speakers of any reasonable quality love lots of power. I think a lot of people still think of amp power as loudness.

Klipsch people most of the time are music lovers first and everyday folks second. But they remind me of folks not from the left and right coasts. Klipsch folks think paying $4400.00 for a pair of speakers is very extreme now days. A pair of Magicos that keep up with a pair of Cornwalls would cost $58,000, and you would have to spend close to another 15,000 to $60,000 to power them with amps putting out over a 1000 watts each. So having a pair of Cornwalls is a very conservative purchase. And I am sure you could find a nice pair of MK II models for 1/2 that price with proper research. If you want new Cornwalls wait till the new Cornerhorn tweeter is offered in the Cornwall. Like I have said before my room mate and. I had a pair of Cornwlls in the early 70's while finishing college. We had some great parties with those speakers being powered by Mac 2105 electronics. Get those meters up to -3db and The entire house was rocking.

The best all around speaker for me , if i want to rock out or smooth jazz it or jam the blues . these will perform well what will do sometimes is neutralize all the tone controls in a small room and hit the loudness button and perfect sound . From five watts to one hundred watts i dont need any other speaker.

I loved my Cornwalls, but had to sell them due to living in a mini home! They just couldn't breath and they take up a lot of real estate! I am lucky enough to own a pristine set of Chorus 1s and sound wise in my space sound better..while taking up less floor space.
The good news is my friend bought the Cornys and I can hear them in his larger space where they sound much better..

I found out too, that they really couldn't give me all the performance I know they were capable of in a smaller space. They still could sound wonderful, but the imaging just wasn't what I experienced with smaller speakers. The larger the space the better they are, IMO.

Well this forum is a terrible place to go to have people talk me out of gear, I’ve found :)

I think I was optimistic in thinking I could blend these in more with our decor but once I heard them I couldn’t say no. They’ll probably end up downstairs in my listening room but for now I tucked them away as much as you can with giant square boxes and if my wife says “what the hell is going on over there?” I’m just going to play dumb. She works in another city during the week so i’ll Just act like they’ve been there all along. Think i’ll get away with it?

—btw I know the placement is not ideal. Don’t care, they sound glorious and full the huge open area effortlessly with beautiful music

Great room. I also have a room with Cornwalls and a trombone on a stand. :banana:

My Cornwalls make me want to listen to well recorded live music.

1. I'm not saying Cornwalls are super accurate.
2. I'm not saying Cornwalls image the best.

I'm saying that when I play well recorded live music? It sounds like the concert I was just at.

Now? I'm ruined. All I want to see or hear is live music in all its glorious imperfection.

Isn't that what its all about, reproducing and accurately recorded recording in your favorite listening space so as to sound like the real performance.

Isn't that what its all about, reproducing and accurately recorded recording in your favorite listening space so as to sound like the real performance.

That's what it's about to me.

It is Big.. and no WAF ( But ironically only speaker my wife said looks good is cornwall, and she hates Aerial Acoustics)

My wife says they’re the only speakers she doesn’t want me to swap out! Was a little suspicious when I wanted to sell the Cornwall i’s to get the iii’s!!

Just wait as there may be Cornwall 4's, or potentially Chorus III's, right around the corner. But, there are some killer deals on the III's at the moment.

They are not for everyone but they are for me. Sold all my classic JBL's and a few others I had when I found my Cornwalls. I like them because they fill the room with music without any fatigue. Even at low levels you can feel the bass. Great speaker.

The thing that I dislike the most about Cornwalls is that I don’t have a pair. My Hersey’s need a role models to share the house with!

My old Cornwalls from '85 were my wife's favorite speakers. I don't know of anything bad about them. When I sold mine, I fired them up for the buyer and knew immediately I was making a mistake. But a lot of water (and speakers) under the bridge now and a new Cornwall IV is coming out. If I had $6000 laying around here somewhere, I'd soon own a pair. Well, OK, they're not perfect. A bit of a bass hump around 60Hz, IIRC. YMMV, of course.

Two things; I haven't got the room and I can't afford them!
Think like that you will never have a pair, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat! Big horns are exactly what small rooms require to keep the output of the speaker directed at yo and not at your room. Larger horns do just that over a much wider range than small horns can. The used market can surprise you especially if you tuck a little cash away so you can strike while the iron is hot. There are ways to make a Cornwall smaller (narrower so far as frontal view goes) if need be. Good luck.

Maybe need to match with an amp that has bass & treble knobs or just add an EQ in the chain. Cornwalls will immediately expose bad recordings.

Back
Top Bottom