tell me i didnt screw up????

c.granger

just recieved a C-28 preamp . It just doesnt sound right? running my c.d. player thru AUX. and just loads of white noise?
tried to adjust gain to amp's. that help's .but gain for right channel is only a slight change in output??left channel seems to work fine. then tried hooking up thru tuner section,Lesswhite noise??? Also when trying to listen to low listening level,as i turn down the volume ,volume to right channel goes lower than left channel??? do these preamps generate that much white noise?? I am running a pair of kenwood 150/watt monoblocks into a pair of klipsch KLF 10's Tell me i didnt spend a bunch of money for nothing!!!!

C28 vilume control could be bad, common problem when the power switch is on the same control, first third of the pot get worn out, first symptoms are that it does not track any more.

Are the output gain controls on the top of the dust cover turned all of the way up ?? The C28 has a reasonable SNR of 90dB, if working correctly it should be quiet.

reply to dewikt

gain control for left channel seems to be fine control for left allthe way up and does not raise or lower the volume for roight side very much but still has hiss

Looks like it's time for trouble shooting, are the fixed level tape outputs OK, do the line level (HEADPHONE) outputs behave ok. Will check schematic tonight when I get home, hate to say it but Ouch - you have a problem, did you get a warranty ??

It sounds like the same problem I had with mine. Lower output out of one of the channels and excessive noise, even at lower levels. I had to send it in for a new volume control and a tune-up. Total cost was about $300.

g

ps I have owned a C-24, 26,27,28, all advertised as working great, all needed at least $250 in repairs.

Sorry to hear the bad news. If you got it on ebay, contact the seller before you do ANYTHING internal!!!

Hope it all works out.
mOOn

Are the attenuators on the top set to max.? My 28 over the years had slowly become hissy. Because it happened over 30 years I really did not notice it. A while ago developed a channel imbalance and had it serviced and the rear jacks changed out to goldplates. A couple of caps had gone bad. Now the preamp is dead quiet. Even Mc needs loving care every 20-30 years. Funny if it were a Pioneer or something it would not be a surprise that a little TLC is needed but if a Mc ....

Back
Top Bottom