1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Tell Us Something That Happened To You That Made You Feel Very Old.

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by bobsvinyl, Sep 22, 2016.

1. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

I have three crowns in my mouth that are named after brands of trail mix. I ate some Skittles the other day and an old crown broke in half. Eating now is like walking through a mine field.

2. Old Ears too

Old Ears too Active Member

I had another birthday.

Imanoldee likes this.
  3. the skipper

the skipper Super Member

4. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

Getting one of these cakes for your birthday would do it.

[​IMG]

5. the skipper

the skipper Super Member

Didja ever wonder why baby diapers all have these touch-feely names like Luvs, Pampers and Huggies and us old folks only have Depends?

It's because babies are cute and everyone wants to love, hug and pamper them but, when you get old, who will take care of you depends on who is in the will!

6. SuperjazzyJa

SuperjazzyJa 18 Wheel Member Subscriber

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

7. the skipper

the skipper Super Member

Wow. I must have lot of old friends on Facebook.

texting for seniors.jpg

unfairlane, 8xlaxx and dcreek like this.
  8. jn229

jn229 Super Member

I held the door open for an elderly lady . . . . . only to realize I dated her in high school!

9. Luckyorleans

Luckyorleans New Member

Seeing a young one at the office and thinking it was the annual bring your high schooler to work day, until I saw the person had an employee ID badge. :rolleyes:

bobsvinyl likes this.
  10. jcamero

jcamero You Can't Close the Door When the Wall's Caved IN! Subscriber

April 27th I turned 59. My oldest sister sent me a card reminding me this is my last year in the 50's.

unfairlane likes this.
  11. dyche01

dyche01 "Buy high. Sell low" Subscriber

I was in a coffee shop when the Velvet Underground's 'Sweet Jane' started playing (probably via Pandora). The hipster behind me listened intently for a while until he clearly recognized the song. He turned the girl next to him and said "Yeah, this is a really cool song, but you should hear the original version by the Cowboy Junkies. It's a lot better."

12. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Active Member

Hate to tell you what's next, but after the AARP stuff you'll start to receive solicitations for burial plots. :(

dyche01 likes this.
  13. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Active Member

I'll be 62 next month, but I don't feel old. Thanks to good genes and a long time exercise routine I apparently don't look it either, at least that's what everyone tells me.

My girlfriend is within a month of my age, and has the same habit and genes. She not only looks wonderful, she keeps her mind engaged via constant learning and exposure to new things. Things like learning languages, piano and staying current in database administration. In addition, she subscribes to Spotify and listens to the new releases each Tuesday. She turns me on to the new music she likes.

Thankfully our health is good. My heart goes out to those with debilitating chronic pain. I've far too many friends and relatives with back, knee shoulder or hip pain. My girlfriends youngest sister just had a hip replacement... twice. Her femur cracked after the first one and the whole procedure had to be repeated.

I did get called "Grandpa Ray" for the first time last year by my girlfriend's grandkids. Very traumatic the first time that happens! :)

unfairlane likes this.
  14. Todd Dodds

Todd Dodds AK Subscriber Subscriber

But look at the bright side.....:):naughty::):naughty: Senior Discount on McDonald's Coffee:):naughty::):naughty:!!

15. DrumminDaddy

DrumminDaddy Hit it, Baby !! Subscriber

Aahh, the 'grandpa club'. For me the effect of those little monkeys is to make me feel young again. That is, until they wear me out. :p

John James likes this.
  16. the skipper

the skipper Super Member

There are some benefits as well.

Where we just moved from (outside NYC), movies were $8 or so, with our local theater offering a senior discount of $6.50 for early bird senior showings on Tuesdays.

Now, here in Aggieland, our local cineplex has seniors day all day Monday where the cost is $3.25. ...and they have nifty power recliners!

17. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

Every day when I go to the gym and listen to the University students speak......

faber12 and Ohighway like this.
  18. Christian B

Christian B AK Subscriber Subscriber

OK, true story. This occurred some time in the 80's. While walking on the mall in Washington D.C. with my wife and our friend Rosemary, we passed some young people and overheard one ask "Did you know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"

unfairlane and Johnny 007 like this.
  19. Dr Tinear

Dr Tinear AK Subscriber Subscriber

I got a letter from the city clerk's office. Apparently I no longer need to be out of town on Election Day to get an absentee ballot; I'm old enough that the clerk's office will issue one to me for every election from now on. All I have to do is file a request form.

20. K_50

K_50 Member

My niece's resonse when her mum and I told her that almost no one had mobile phones, when we were her age: "How did you listen to music, then?"

the skipper likes this.